October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Euphoria Board Game Review

More
16 Jan 2019 00:00 #290105 by WadeMonnig

A Brave New World for Euro's

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2019 14:10 #290106 by SuperflyPete
I hated it. After playing Scythe, I realized it was sort
Of like a tester model for the mechanics (especially point salad and influence) for Scythe.

It was so dry. So. Dry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Vysetron

More
16 Jan 2019 14:15 #290108 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Euphoria Board Game Review
Yeah, same. I went in wanting to love it but the theme felt completely absent. I'm also not a huge fan of the Stonemaier Stars System (tm) in general.

More
17 Jan 2019 13:13 #290172 by WadeMonnig
As I said in the review, if Euro's aren't your "Jam" this isn't likely to change your mind. Still, I liked idea of "Queuing Up" in areas to collect resources (reminded me of long lines to get basic living items), the idea that you stand on the back of your workers to get ahead, and markets of useless items created to distract the masses. I'm sure I bought into more than the average player.
On the actual game, i was torn between a 3 and 4 star rating but after teaching this four or five times over the review period, I loved watching it finally click with someone. i could literally go "Aha, yes, they are going like Euros." It played great at 2 and scaled up to 6 perfectly fine, with only the expected game time increase. Can't say I'd want to play 6 all of the time but 4 is a good number. And rolling the intelligence of workers with that look of triumph when you hit doubles or that crestfallen moment when the total of the dice put you over 16 qualifies for one of those "moments" I look for in all games.

More
17 Jan 2019 15:19 #290175 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Euphoria Board Game Review
Euros is a pretty broad term. Some euros I like, some I don't. What kind of euro do you think Euphoria is?

More
17 Jan 2019 15:29 #290176 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Euphoria Board Game Review
I'm not shocked by the resounding "Meh" directed at this game, but it is the only Stonemaier (designed) game that I've held onto. It's solid and it plays differently then anything else I own. thematically it's interesting, if not completely solid. But I find it far better than being the best mech/farmer of the continent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Jan 2019 15:54 #290178 by WadeMonnig

quozl wrote: Euros is a pretty broad term. Some euros I like, some I don't. What kind of euro do you think Euphoria is?

When I think Euro, I think lack of conflict, resource gathering/upgrading, where the "strategy" is attempting to optimize your turns so that you trigger then winning condition(s) before the other players. In short, trying to sort out their strategy and beating them to the punch.
I think Euphoria fits that criteria, but with luck and pushing your luck as an "X" factor. The "bumpable" spaces let you take almost any action you want but you could be pushing another player ahead, saving them precious actions in taking back workers. I like the "I can do that but SHOULD I do that right now? If I wait a turn, they will have to take their workers back and that is one less action they will have to progress to winning."
I hope that answers your question.

More
17 Jan 2019 16:09 #290179 by SuperflyPete
My favorite games are split evenly between Euro and Ameritrash. The thing is, it has to be fun. This game wasn’t fun. It felt like we were all trying to put boxes in the most optimal order so the game would end and the most optimal person wins. Just a really dry AF game.

At least in El Grande people die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, WadeMonnig, Vysetron

More
17 Jan 2019 16:28 #290180 by WadeMonnig

SuperflyTNT wrote: At least in El Grande people die.

If it makes you feel better, instead of the "Smartest" workers running off, you can just pretend they were found out by the government and were euthanized.

Of course, I'm not trying to convince you that you had a good time, I'm just relaying what I enjoyed about it.

Dry AF is Agricola,

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds