October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games #9 - Marie Kondo Is Right About Your Game Collection

More
17 Jan 2019 17:25 #290181 by mc
Jackwraith spoke about "my space", and, hell yeah. My space would contain a kondo like amount of rare, un-digitalised books, my favourite few games and a bass. Effectively my "flee from fire" box, although that doesn't contain the books, and loses the non OOP favourite games.

Thing is, I don't actually have "my space" in reality. Most games I own are bought with my kids and partner in mind, so they are theirs as much as mine, if not more. Same with the tonne of my old books i wouldnt save from fire but sit there to be potential inspiration (or joy) for the kids as they grow older. Yeah yeah. There's danger there. But it's more .... not so much, they might, (hopefully), but, they can. So... I'm not chucking out things when they're not mine. We regularly get the kids to go through stuff and think about whether or not things are still going to get used. The rule is though, if ONE person doesn't want to ditch it, that's that. We try to make sure there's a place for everything but, buying the perfect solutions or whatever is not an option. We have to make do, and often that means things that don't bring joy, and that there would be better option for, but we've got what we've got.

Like shellhead said, those items are options for years to come for God knows what apocalypse. I live on a tight budget, and the games come out of my own personal budget that has to cover me for ALL my vices. And I have a few. As far as the curation of items in my shitbox falling down house goes, I can't afford aesthetics haha.

I totally get the idea of having less stuff and purging stuff creating happiness. You know what though, if I think about the people with aesthetically pleasing carefully curated homes I know, I see a focus on perfect image and problems underneath in a lot of cases. Not always obviously, but I shake my head at my bro-in-law, just quietly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Jackwraith, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2019 17:35 #290182 by southernman

southernman wrote: I have fun playing games from my collection, I get fun from playing different types of games, and I get fun from playing them with other people (I very rarely solo games, although I do have some fighting fantasy type books if that emergency ever arrives).
I sell when I no longer get fun from a game. I have more than I can play over a few months but that does not make me unhappy, it makes me look forward to when I do get them out.

I will admit that when I said I have more than I can play over a few months that probably should be over quite a few months. The other qualifying reason why I own a few more than maybe others do is I am the only one of the boardgamers I know in my town who owns AT-type games (that are regularly played) so I don't have the advantage of sharing ownership to play games I like (apart from one guy owning World of Warcraft - yes, I do enjoy playing it).

I appreciated Shellie's clarified meaning behind Marie's idea, I own a lot of stuff (for the small UK house I live in, it wouldn't look as bad in a house in Nth America or New Zealand) spread over games, books, film media, music media, some framed posters and all of them I have so to get enjoyment from my interests. But I still look around now and then and say 'is that really interesting to me anymore to be filling up all that space' - there are some books trying to hide from my view right now that probably have a limited tenancy here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Frohike

More
17 Jan 2019 20:38 #290190 by Shellhead
Kondo's messaging might make more sense to some people than others. I've noticed that some people have a greater need to experience novelty, and they tend to be less attached to their possessions because they are less capable of enjoying a repeat of an enjoyable experience. I have considerably more than 29 books in my possession, but I have read most of my books more than once, even though I also check out books from the library on a regular basis. Perhaps Kondo reads a book once and feels that she has gotten all that she can get from a book. I find that a quality books speaks differently to me each time that I read, because the experiences that I have had since my last read have changed my perspective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, RobertB, Frohike

More
18 Jan 2019 11:11 #290212 by SuperflyPete
The basic thesis isn’t “have as little as possible” as much as “everything should have a space, and everything should be meaningful”.

I just caught the “privileged bourgoisie” comment up top and I have to thank you, Mike. The most privaleged bourgeoisie thing ever is power buzzwords and you legit just dropped the top two Dominance Hierarchy Identity Politics buzzwords LMAO . The juxtaposition was delicious coming from a upper middle class white male. ;)

I also think you’re massively wrong and don’t know enough poor people. Poor people are worse hoarders than the wealthy, but their shit isn’t as good. My dad had a whole storage full of junk the family lost when he died. His little one bedroom house looked like a poorly organized warehouse complete with walkways between towers of books.

For me, I am like JackW in that everything has a home or it gets tossed. My wife is of the same mind but she is a “stacker”, meaning that looking tidy is good enough. Me,
I don’t buy a lot of anything, and when I do, it always has a purpose.

It’s not some philosophical thing, it just makes sense to me. I don’t want to spend money on shit if I don’t have to. I have kids, and anyone who has had kids understands the fleeting nature of desire. Most of the shit you want now will not be what you want next year

With games, it may not even last the week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, southernman, mc

More
18 Jan 2019 11:16 #290213 by RobertB
(Puts on tinfoil hat)

That shit is just The 1% getting us acclimated to the notion that you ain't gonna have it as good as your parents. Since every dollar that doesn't go into your health insurance goes into your kid's college education, you're better off liking the fact that you only own three shirts.

(And who doesn't love They Live?)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, SuperflyPete, BillyBobThwarton, Vysetron

More
18 Jan 2019 11:29 #290214 by BaronDonut
I'm someone who naturally has a bit of the novelty bug--I love trying new things, and when I get interested in something new it's hard to keep myself from diving completely into a rabbit hole. A few technologies (some old, some new) have kept this from translating to hoarding behavior--digital streaming has totally altered my relationship with music, and access to some really great library systems has altered my relationship with books. I'll still buy these things sometimes, but I've found what I really want is the joy of ACCESS to these things rather than the joy of OWNING these things.

Board gaming culture is a kind of last frontier for the novelty seeker, since these objects can't be sought out and immediately downloaded / borrowed / sampled on the cheap. So while my other collections have slowed and or stalled, my game collection has ballooned over the last five years. And while there is a kind of pleasure looking at a shelf and thinking "look at all these cool games!" it's fleeting and probably kind of destructive. All this to say, I think some of these behaviors and consumption could be curbed if there was some way to invest in a local gaming library or "collective collection." I know some public libraries are working to expand their game collections, but especially given that games kind of have to be enjoyed with other people it makes sense to, well, share.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
18 Jan 2019 13:10 #290218 by SuperflyPete
The future is in Fort Mitchell KY, but only if people will stop wanting to OWN.

There’s a cool little place where you drop 15$ a month and can come in anytime you want between 10A-2A and play any game you want. They must have a thousand games.

Way better than owning them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike, Vysetron

More
18 Jan 2019 13:14 #290220 by Vysetron
Oh man, if board game cafes were more common I'd probably dump even more games than I already am. Some local stores here in NC have decent libraries but they're not exactly an ideal spot to just grab a table and play. You have to go during weird time slots to make it work.

More
19 Jan 2019 11:50 #290270 by Colorcrayons
I'd drop owning the 40 titles I have to less than 10 if I could find a place that had the other games I enjoy.

Sadly, not even fantasy flight games center has a library like that.

Which is why I own the 40 games that I do have, because of being niche within a niche. I never thought games like YINSH or Forbidden Bridge were niche, but I'll be damned if any players or collections that I'm locally acquainted with has a copy, for example.

I agree with Pete. Once a good communistic collective game center can be established, the need to own games in that area for social gatherings would be obsolete.

I'd even donate those games for that to happen, as my own form of proselytizing of what I enjoy.

Hence Kondos point. Why have vast library in your own home if you don't need or enjoy them constantly? That's what public libraries are for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
19 Jan 2019 12:47 #290271 by SuperflyPete
When the dude opened I dontated to him, and I told him I’d do a “designer day” where I’d teach people Flix (or other games) if he wanted.

That never came to pass but I love the idea of giving up my games so that everyone at the store can play them. Just keep your hands off of my guitars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
19 Jan 2019 13:49 #290274 by southernman

SuperflyTNT wrote: For me, I am like JackW in that everything has a home or it gets tossed. My wife is of the same mind but she is a “stacker”, meaning that looking tidy is good enough. Me,
I don’t buy a lot of anything, and when I do, it always has a purpose.

It’s not some philosophical thing, it just makes sense to me. I don’t want to spend money on shit if I don’t have to. I have kids, and anyone who has had kids understands the fleeting nature of desire. Most of the shit you want now will not be what you want next year

With games, it may not even last the week.

I'm in Pete's and JackW's boat as well - I have shoes/trainers well over 10 years old 'cos they're comfy, I mainly wear jeans and a rugby jersey (I have a assorted collection of them, rugby being another intense interest) or t-shirt, drive a 14 year old car because it I like driving it (and there's no car that I'd really like that I would pay asking price for), and basically buy little as I'm happy with what I have - new boardgames being my only luxury and even then those are often used or trades and not that numerous in number each year.
I also have a son (young adult now) who still needs some help (and probably always will in my eyes) so keep cash set aside for him, plus I did a lot in my younger years so perhaps there's a bit of 'been there done that' that makes stuff seem less enticing to me than maybe for others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
22 Jan 2019 10:56 #290421 by SuperflyPete
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, lj1983, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Jan 2019 14:09 #290440 by Legomancer
"How many books should you have in your home? It depends on how much ass you have to wipe." ~ Marie Kondo, 'The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
22 Jan 2019 14:45 - 22 Jan 2019 14:47 #290448 by ubarose
Here is a quote from Kondo regarding the recent outrage over her advice to people on her show (who did not feel passionately about their books) to cull down to 30. You could just as easily substitute games, CDs, shoes, fountain pens, T-shirts or whatever for books.

"The most important part of this process of tidying is to always think about what you have and about the discovery of your sense of value - what you value that is important.

It's not so much what I personally think about books. The question you should be asking is what do you think about books.

If the image of someone getting rid of books or having only a few books makes you angry, that should tell you how passionate you are about books, what's clearly so important in your life. If that riles you up, that tells you something about that. That in itself is a very important benefit of this process."

So if you are getting worked up about the idea of getting rid of things certain things, but not about getting rid of other things, that tells you how much you value those things.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 14:47 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Not Sure, Gregarius

More
22 Jan 2019 15:23 - 22 Jan 2019 15:35 #290452 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: Here is a quote from Kondo regarding the recent outrage over her advice to people on her show (who did not feel passionately about their books) to cull down to 30. You could just as easily substitute games, CDs, shoes, fountain pens, T-shirts or whatever for books.

"The most important part of this process of tidying is to always think about what you have and about the discovery of your sense of value - what you value that is important. . . .

I have this discussion all the time with my kids, especially when the pretend-rich people all around us seem to buy everything in order to not look like they're missing out. "Your family went to Disney? Ours went to Switzerland AND Disney. And Antarctica." I live in the land of Ooba Tooba granite countertops.

In short, spend your money and time on the things that you truly enjoy instead of just blowing it on things other people enjoy. Live your life and spend your money by your own judgment of value. Kondo is using her advice as an exercise to determine what that is, something the locals near me could certainly use more of.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 15:35 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.667 seconds