October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Play Matt: The Lost Expedition Review

More
21 Jan 2019 00:00 #290328 by Matt Thrower

The box art has a charming Tintin look, without that annoying quiff. All pith helmets and tangled undergrowth. Inside there are two decks of cards. The big one has a tab to unwrap the shrink, but the small one doesn't. I try to open it with my thumb and, to my horror, I mark a card. Diving to the rulebook in a mild panic, I determine the damage is to a map card, part of the board. So that's okay.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2019 04:18 #290329 by mads b.
This is a great review. I've been eyeing the game for some time precisely because it seems to actually tell a story. But would you say it's playable in the coop version with (board game savvy) kids?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
21 Jan 2019 04:21 - 21 Jan 2019 04:26 #290330 by mc
A great read as always Matt.

It's been a favourite in my house. I established quickly that when playing we have to explain the choices on the cards thematically, and this usually lasts until things are getting desperate and then it disintegrates into just trying to survive the challenges. Fun though, and I try to challenge them to come up with new ones every time (rather than repeating the one about shooting the crocodile for food). The game has also firmed up Teddy Roosevelt as one of my kids favourite characters from history, which I am at a loss to explain.

Has anyone got the expansion for this? I don't think we need it at all, but I do wonder if it offers anything else worthwhile on top of what's already here.

edit: mads, it's great for kids. It's haaaard, but you can set the difficulty by cutting off a couple of jungle cards to shorten the journey. The art really is great, my kids really love it (although they are Tintin fans already so that probably helps). The rules are pretty straightforward. My kids are fairly savvy, 10 and 8, they play this one on their own, the 5 year old loves playing it but needs a little hand/reminders of the numbering system depending on whether it's morning or night and to try an think about the card re-ordering mechanism. But yeah. Storywise it's fun - like I said above it starts to get a little repetitive but you can work around that with a bit of thought.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 04:26 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, mads b.

More
21 Jan 2019 05:23 - 21 Jan 2019 05:24 #290332 by Matt Thrower

mads b. wrote: This is a great review. I've been eyeing the game for some time precisely because it seems to actually tell a story. But would you say it's playable in the coop version with (board game savvy) kids?

Depends on the age but yes, totally - I played it a lot with my kids - 8 and 12 - and we all had a great time. The eldest also enjoyed the competitive game because she comprehensively beat me :)

A small word of warning: if played by the rules where you're not allowed to disclose what you're holding it's not suitable for "hand-holding" co-op play with quite young kids the way some co-ops are.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 05:24 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

More
21 Jan 2019 05:26 #290333 by Matt Thrower

mc wrote: Has anyone got the expansion for this? I don't think we need it at all, but I do wonder if it offers anything else worthwhile on top of what's already here.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I've also got the expansion, but I haven't played it a whole lot. The biggest bit is a new set of cards which up the difficulty which isn't particularly what you want if you already find it tough enough. But there is a slew of variants in the box and I do like the new map cards and the companions. Both add some extra layers of variety and strategy, while the latter ease the difficulty level (and so can work to offset the new, harder cards if desired).

More
21 Jan 2019 06:41 #290336 by Jazzbeaux
Just been looking at Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth which is apparently a reskin of this game. Your review above with Judge Dredd theme could be a winner!

More
21 Jan 2019 06:45 #290337 by Matt Thrower

Jazzbeaux wrote: Just been looking at Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth which is apparently a reskin of this game. Your review above with Judge Dredd theme could be a winner!

It's coming soon - seriously! Just thought this needed to squeeze in first as it's the original game.

More
21 Jan 2019 09:02 #290343 by Legomancer
I really like this one, though the card shuffle can make-or-break. After a run of tough games I introduced it to two people, talked about how tough it was, and then we sailed through with no problems. It was sheer luck of the shuffle, but they were unimpressed.

My eyes perked up at the Dredd reskin, but I think I actually prefer the original. Haven't gotten the Fountain of Youth yet.

More
21 Jan 2019 13:33 - 21 Jan 2019 13:35 #290366 by SuperflyPete
I adore this game. It's just really hard, but winnable. I can't wait for the Dredd version. I'm all in.

I didn't even know there was an expansion, although I already have the promo pack, which has a brutal card.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 13:35 by SuperflyPete.

More
21 Jan 2019 16:03 #290372 by hotseatgames
Great review! It's made me more interested in picking up Judge Dredd.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds