October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Shivers of Anticipation: 10 Games I'm Looking out for in 2019

More
15 Feb 2019 12:50 #292380 by cdennett

Jackwraith wrote: Why is it that I always feel perpetually behind almost everyone else on this site about expansions or re-releases? Is it because I don't pay attention to Kickstarter or don't spend any time on BGG except when I'm trading?

So, stupid question: What/when is it?

The Root Expansion? It's happening middle of March and will have a new two-sided map and two new factions (Crows and Moles?). They are also going to offer an upgrade pack to fix all the errata and balance changes. I think expected delivery is end of the year,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Not Sure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2019 13:49 #292386 by AndrewMcAlpine

charlest wrote: My list is very different than yours, but always enjoy your thoughtful articles Andrew.

Thanks dude! I'd love to hear what your list looks like.

More
15 Feb 2019 13:51 #292387 by AndrewMcAlpine

jpat wrote: I wish there were a Laukat design that I really liked, because his art and world building are excellent, or at least they appeal to me, which is why I keep trying and hoping.

Yeah, for as friendly as his games are, they've been pretty divisive in my gaming group. For whatever reason, the stuff that turns other folks off doesn't bother me at all--I've really dug each game of his that I've played.

More
15 Feb 2019 13:55 #292388 by AndrewMcAlpine

mezike wrote: Heck yes, more Root. I tried five different COIN games and certainly admired and enjoyed them but the reality is that I've played one game of Cuba Libre in the past two years and more than twenty games of Root in just the past couple of months. Both my kids are really into Root too so it's inevitable that we will go in on the additional factions.

Yeah, I kind of thought that Root had fired the COIN games for me, but I recently played Colonial Twilight and really enjoyed it--it invigorated my interest in the series.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
15 Feb 2019 14:03 - 15 Feb 2019 14:04 #292389 by mezike
Every COIN game I play reinvigorates my interest in the series, but I still keep selling them four months later!
Last edit: 15 Feb 2019 14:04 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
15 Feb 2019 14:53 #292393 by Gary Sax
I'll be going for the expansion, previous expansion and upgrade kit. I've only played Root a couple times but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't speak for the rest of the internet... it has gone silentish on BGG.

More
15 Feb 2019 15:31 #292400 by jpat
I really like Fire in the Lake as far as COIN goes. I've only played or part-played that, Cuba Libre, and Liberty or Death, but FitL is the one that seems to be the optimal level of asymmetry, chrome, and evocation of the setting for me--but I'd probably play others as well.

Also, can I just say it amuses me that there's an "Unthank you" button here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
15 Feb 2019 20:59 #292414 by Not Sure
100% in on a Root expansion too. Didn't know that was a solid thing yet.

More
16 Feb 2019 01:24 #292417 by Ah_Pook
Besides the two things I've got coming from Kickstarter (QE and Pack Pamir) the only other new thing I know 100% that I'm in for is some decks from the new Keyforge set. I'm also entirely hyped for the Through The Ages expansion that's in the works, but whether that's a 2019 release is anyone's guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Feb 2019 14:19 #292467 by Scott_F
Some games on my list for 2019:

God's War. Another Sandy Peterson game similar to Cthulhu Wars. Supposed to be a bit longer and more negotiation to it. I'm afraid it will be too similar to CW and require all the players to remember the dozen things specific to each faction to play strategically. Still am looking forward to trying it finally after the usual year and a half delay from the KS date.

Mezo. Area control games are my thing and this one looked pretty sweet. Hope it comes out on time, the Omen KS has been super late given that Omen is nothing but cards and art and this is by the same designer I believe.

Imperial Struggle. It probably won't be the classic that Twilight Struggle is, but if it provides even half of the fun of TS I'll be happy with it.

Pax Transhumanity. Yup its an Ecklund and the rules will be difficult and have some bias, but the future setting is appealing to me.

Time of Crisis expansion. ToC is a favorite of mine and I'm excited to see what the new card options are. The expansion doesn't look to add much, just a bit more variety.

Pax Pamir. Hope the second edition fixes some of the stifling-ness of the first edition. I dumped my first edition even though I did like it, it was just too difficult to sell people on and the options on your turn were so limited.

I'd love to see an expansion to TI4 and add a few more objective cards or races without adding significant time. No idea if that is in the works.

Still haven't played Root a second time and don't have a strong opinion on it yet.

More
17 Feb 2019 15:02 #292468 by ThirstyMan
Yeah, I do remember kinda GMing the famous F:AT Andean Abyss PBEM sessions. I love to role play, whatever game I'm playing, so that helped a lot with the atmosphere.

Huge fan of COIN (all of them) and looking forward to Gandhi.

More
17 Feb 2019 15:16 #292472 by Not Sure

ThirstyMan wrote: Yeah, I do remember kinda GMing the famous F:AT Andean Abyss PBEM sessions. I love to role play, whatever game I'm playing, so that helped a lot with the atmosphere.

Huge fan of COIN (all of them) and looking forward to Gandhi.

The Google doc for trash talking was the best part of that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
18 Feb 2019 09:11 #292504 by charlest

AndrewMcAlpine wrote:

charlest wrote: My list is very different than yours, but always enjoy your thoughtful articles Andrew.

Thanks dude! I'd love to hear what your list looks like.

Sure, not in a particular order:

UBOOT - Real-time cooperative, WW2 submarine warfare with an app and a huge 3D submarine. Hopefully it feels half as tense as Das Boot.

Core Space - Already received a copy of this one and it's fantastic. Miniatures game that's kind of a Firefly meets Expanse setting with an amazing modular 3D board and many really cool touches. This game blew my mind recently.

Hellboy - On James Hewitt's name alone. I just played this past weekend and can't talk about it due to Embargo, but I was not disappointed.

Nemesis - Waiting for my Kickstarter pledge. Awaken Realms is the new FFG as far as I'm concerned.

Mezo - Hearing amazing things and area control is my favorite genre. Kolossal has impressed me thus far with Western Legends and Imperius.

Middara - I'm not the biggest fan of the JRPG theme here, but the game looks flat out inspiring and I'm hoping the wait was worth it.

Tainted Grail - 7th Continent kind of disappointed me, this has some vague similarities and it's Awaken Realms

City of Chaos - Never played the original but have come close to picking it up second hand a few times.

Court of the Dead: Mourner's Call - Not sure on this one. It looks similar to Blood Rage, one of my favorite games, and it may be too similar.

Detective: City of Angels - L.A. Noire the board game. Sign me up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds