October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Members Top Fives

Top 5 One and Done Games

More
11 Jun 2018 16:58 #275129 by hotseatgames
I was listening to a podcast that was talking about expansions, and it got me thinking about games that have no expansions at all. It is a nice thought to know that you are getting a great game, and everything is right there. That's not to say that more material wouldn't be good, or appreciated, but for whatever reason, that's all there is, and that's fine. My list may be flawed since I didn't think about it exhaustively, but here it is.

Remember, if there is ANYTHING extra available, it's disqualified.

1. Nexus Ops
2. Earth Reborn
3. Betrayal at Calth
4. Fury of Dracula
5. Zimby Mojo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2018 17:09 #275130 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Top 5 One and Done Games
Fury of Dracula
Merchants of Venus
History of the World
Struggle of Empires
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (although this one could use a big bad expansion)

More
11 Jun 2018 17:18 #275131 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Top 5 One and Done Games
OTTOMH:

Hannibal
Twilight Struggle
Samurai
Fury of Dracula
Queen's Gambit

So many good games with so many expansions...
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
11 Jun 2018 18:29 #275141 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Top 5 One and Done Games
I think it's more of a release date issue. Expansions became the norm, add ons can be a sign of success.Classic games didn't have expansions because it wasn't an explored option. Almost anything that is a modern day success is going to have an expansion or promos (at the least). I'd pick, say, Century Spice Road but it has a mini card expansion and a reskin. Sushi go? Same. The fox in the forest? Not yet but...
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Erik Twice

More
11 Jun 2018 18:38 - 19 Dec 2019 09:56 #275142 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Top 5 One and Done Games
Great topic. There have been some great games that got inferior expansions

1. The Hills Rise Wild: small bands of hillbilly cultists from the Dunwich region fight to the death over a copy of the Necronomicon. Small unit tactics for 2 to 4 players using a simplified d20 combat system, and every character has a once per game ability. Darkly humorous. There is an unpublished expansion featuring Herbert West, but for all practical purposes, this is a game with no expansions.

2. Camp Grizzly: Co-op play of the archetypal '80s slasher movie, for 1 to 6 players. Several expansions were planned, but none have been published so far. Supposedly the artist works very slowly, but it has been at least four years now, so that excuse seems unlikely.

2. Escape from One Million B.C.: For about a month, this game was the darling of F:AT, until the conversation moved on to Root or some other fresh hotness. But it's still a fine game that happens to feel a finished game that doesn't need any expansions. A thematic romp through pre-historic times, frantically trying to re-assemble a crashed time machine before the space-time rips itself apart with paradox. I suppose Kevin Wilson could add an expansion or two with more encounter cards, more equipment cards, more characters, but they could dilute the existing decks in ways that would not benefit the game, especially the dinosaurs that can be encountered in herds.

3. Fury of Dracula: several editions, but no expansions. I have only played the 2nd edition, and it is the only game that I enjoyed enough to paint all the minis. It helps that there were only five minis.

4. The Gothic Game: by every modern metric, this should be a bad game. Roll and move, lots of dice-chucking, player elimination, not many meaningful decisions. And yet the baroque board and the dark sense of humor of the game transcend the mechanics to deliver a singular experience. Everybody enjoys the Gothic Game, even when they are capriciously ousted from the game by a random card draw.

5. It is probably too soon to put Battle for Rokugan on this list, but I am doing it anyway. It is an excellent refinement of the Game of Thrones boardgame from 15 years ago. streamlined down from a 3-hour game to a 1-hour game. Two to five players, and it scales nicely up and down within that range. Several meaningful decisions every turn, and lots of bluffing. All the mechanics are clean and simple, but there is some nice tactical depth. Though it only came out last year, I expect no expansions even though it's an FFG game. Their remake of the Legend of the Five Rings card seems popular enough, but the cardgame players have traditionally shown less interest in other products in the Rokugan setting. This game actually includes all seven great clans, but the quantity of components restricts the game to five players maximum.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2019 09:56 by Shellhead. Reason: Camp Grizzly is disqualified.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
11 Jun 2018 19:34 #275144 by Da Bid Dabid
Tigris and Euphrates? Not even sure if it qualifies because don't know if anything extra is even available? I think at some point there was another board set up or something? If it qualifies that's my pick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
11 Jun 2018 21:13 #275154 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Top 5 One and Done Games

Da Bid Dabid wrote: Tigris and Euphrates? Not even sure if it qualifies because don't know if anything extra is even available? I think at some point there was another board set up or something? If it qualifies that's my pick.

Depends on which edition you have. A mini-ziggurat expansion (a cross-shaped temple) was released in 2009, but printings since then have included it.

More
11 Jun 2018 21:35 #275156 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Top 5 One and Done Games
  • ACQUIRE
  • WIN, PLACE & SHOW
  • TITAN (Does this count? I think it's Final Form is an expansion?)
  • PICTOMANIA
  • NEXUS OPS

VEGAS SHOWDOWN is also really good. Plus others already mentioned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Colorcrayons

More
12 Jun 2018 01:19 #275167 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Top 5 One and Done Games

WadeMonnig wrote: I think it's more of a release date issue. Expansions became the norm, add ons can be a sign of success.Classic games didn't have expansions because it wasn't an explored option. Almost anything that is a modern day success is going to have an expansion or promos (at the least). I'd pick, say, Century Spice Road but it has a mini card expansion and a reskin. Sushi go? Same. The fox in the forest? Not yet but...

Talisman 2nd Edition was published in 1985 and had its first expansion in 1986. It got 5 more by the early 90s. So I wouldn’t say expansions weren’t an explored option. I do agree that expansions have become the rule rather than the exception over the last decade. It was once once a sign of success, ut now expansions are often planned before the game is even released. Sometime due to publishers wanting to spread out the cost, but also because releasing an expansion boosts the sale of the base game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
12 Jun 2018 03:35 #275169 by san il defanso
1. Ra
2. Fury of Dracula
3. Nexus Ops
4. Acquire
5. Manila

Maybe flip the last two if we're going purely on personal taste. I think I'd rather play Manila than Acquire most days.

More
12 Jun 2018 04:02 #275170 by Matt Thrower

Jackwraith wrote: Twilight Struggle.

Twilight Struggle actually has an expansion.

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion...t-struggle-turn-zero

I have a copy but I've never played with it. Not sure if it's any good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
12 Jun 2018 04:18 #275172 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Top 5 One and Done Games

Jackwraith wrote: OTTOMH:

Hannibal
Twilight Struggle
Samurai
Fury of Dracula
Queen's Gambit

So many good games with so many expansions...

The new version of Hannibal has an expansion.

More
12 Jun 2018 08:47 #275179 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Top 5 One and Done Games
Technically Shellhead, backers received black and white copies of the expansions for Camp Grizzly. Word is they're pretty good.

My list:

Earth Reborn
Queen's Gambit
Forbidden Stars
Fire in the Lake
Sidereal Confluence

More
12 Jun 2018 09:12 - 12 Jun 2018 09:13 #275183 by southernman

ubarose wrote: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (although this one could use a big bad expansion)

There is a fan-made Season 5 (?) Glory expansion. And an expansion for 'levelled-up' characters and the nastier Final bad would have been interesting (with a stronger Spike !).
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:13 by southernman.

More
12 Jun 2018 09:23 - 12 Jun 2018 09:27 #275186 by southernman
I was going to start going through all my FFG and GF9 titles then thought probably a waste of time ... :-)

Middle-Earth Quest
Fortress America
Nexus Ops
Star Wars: The Queens Gambit
Marvel Heroes

Shit that was hard.

Maybe a thread on Games with expansions that you didn't buy any of (for whatever reason) ... actually that list may be even shorter for me.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:27 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.844 seconds