October 09, 2023
2424 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
25 Apr 2011 03:46 - 25 Apr 2011 03:46 #94972 by ubarose
Whether you just found the Fort, or are a long time lurker/first time poster, please introduce yourself.

You can check out the Regulars Thread to get to know a little about our long time members.

Also, don't forget to edit your Profile and upload an avatar.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 03:46 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, zanewiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2011 18:58 #95157 by Karl
Alright.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Matt Thrower, southernman, bomber, epaparellanto

More
26 Apr 2011 20:05 #95164 by LilRed
Okay, I don't feel like I'm a new member. But are most definitively a long time lurker, very infrequent poster. Not feeling like a regular poster (but a very regular lurker) I'll introduce myself here:
- Dutchie that immigrated to Norway about 1,5 year ago, working as a physical therapist, got a semiregular group of friends to play Ameritrash with.
- Nintendo fanboy until the Wii, got myself a playstation 3 and never looked back.
- Long time boardgamer, standard story: played a lot of boardgames when young, got out of the boardgames and more into sports and videogames. Came full circle again when my gf bought me some new boardgames. Got introduced to BGG: tried Euro's but was a borefest (Puerto Rico was kinda nice, Thurn and Taxis got me severely doubting, Lost Cities pushed me over the edge). Bought Doom the boardgame which got me into Ameritrash. Never looked back after that.
- Big time FFG fan though I got to admit that they seem to lose momentum, too much clutter and unpolished diamonds lately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Rliyen, epaparellanto

More
26 Apr 2011 20:39 #95174 by tin0men
Everything old is new again with the redesign!

And if a relative veteran like LilRed can step up with his 117 posts. I'll do the same from my weanie pile of 24 or so.

My name is Todd. And I'm an AT-holic.

... and recovering compulsive game aficianado. Well, recovering with a lot of backsliding. Ok, I don't even try to contain my hobby.

I'm from Mineapolis.
Wife, 8yo son, house in the city. Cabin in the woods.
I am He Who Makes the Email Flow! for a living.

Games: 70s typical stuff. D&D. Trival Excess in 80s/college. 90s *vacuum* and back to boxes of risk/monopoly/clue littering the floor.
No I don't 'get' MtG. Went right past me at the time.
Rediscovered my inner gamer ~4yrs ago. Wandered the EuroDesert for almost two years, before discovering F:AT and finding the FUN.

When I'm not playing, or pimping-out games, I collect goofy Tiki junk, substantial quantities of oddball caribbean rums and mixers, and have an unhealthy obsession with Hawaiian shirts. Oh, and too many guitars and other stringed instruments.

And once in a very long while, my wife doesn't complain about the space all of the above take up around the house. :D Generally after one or two Demerara Dry Floats.

I hath lurked F:AT for a year or more before posting. And I intend to continue to lurk and post from the periphery. So like it or lump it. And I will _not_ cut down the ridiculous length of my run-on posts. Nor will I stay on topic. It's all part of my distinctive character. Er something.

Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Merkles, southernman, Rliyen, epaparellanto

More
27 Apr 2011 17:36 #95269 by engelstein
Geoff Engelstein here. I've been reading F:AT for a while, and finally decided to join. I'm a contributor to The Dice Tower (along with Mr. Avery) doing the GameTek segment, and I also recently started a new podcast with Ryan Sturm called Ludology .

I've been hobby gaming since the early 70's - first one I owned was Richtofen's War. Got into wargames in high school, and continued that through my 20's, although with less frequency. Still fondly recall my games of World In Flames and Empires In Arms.

Now I'm into lots of different types of games - pretty much anything, from wargames to Euros to AT (although I hate the term) to minis (mainly Warmachine at the moment).

I live in Bridgewater, NJ, and try to get to cons where possible. This year should be particularly good, as I got to ConnCon, and will be at DexCon, Origins, GenCon, and probably even PAX up in Seattle.

Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Matt Thrower, Merkles, southernman, epaparellanto

More
27 Apr 2011 19:11 #95281 by Sagrilarus
WBC (Lancaster) is near you engelstein and worth the trip.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

More
27 Apr 2011 23:43 #95320 by allismom3
Chris, 40- married with 2 kids(ages 11 and 9)living in upstate NY
Not really a new member. More of a lurker and infrequent poster.
Cut my gaming teeth on 1st ed D&D and Risk. Moved on from there to the MB GameMaster series, Metagames micros, and Car Wars.
Still playing D&D(4th ed) and really digging the new Gamma World.
With my game group we have a regular rotation that includes Bang, Betrayal, Last Night on Earth, Formula De, Siege of the Citadel, Cash N Guns, and Wings of War. A couple of new editions include D&D: Wrath, Coach Ride to Devil's Castle, and Pacific Typhoon.
Really wanted to make it to ConnCon, but last minute shit got in the way.
Hoping to make it to Gen Con, but I've been saying that since my last visit in '03.
I like the new lay out and if I think of anything witty or original I'll be sure to post it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, epaparellanto

More
28 Apr 2011 03:15 #95346 by milehighlander
I am Chris; long-time lurker.
37-year old lover of ameritrash, dogs, snowboarding, basketball, video games, sci-fi and silk underwear.

I am a social worker though I currently do more recreational therapy with adults with brain injury and MS. Live in Denver and have been married to a strictly party-game only aficionado for about 2 years (need to work on that). Have a 3 legged mastiff and a rottweiler mix for children.

Very entertaining site that y'all have here. Update only makes it better, although how do you improve on perfection? ;)

Thanks Uba for putting up a topic that got my ass in gear to finally post here. I look forward to having a more active involvement in the site in the future.

Thanks in advance for listening. I think you guys rock btw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, Ska_baron, Notahandle, epaparellanto

More
28 Apr 2011 03:19 #95347 by engelstein
WBC -- Been there twice and enjoyed it, although it was a while ago (when it was still in MD). It always seems that the dates just don't work out for me... But hopefully sometime in the future.

Geoff

More
28 Apr 2011 09:37 #95361 by southernman
Hey all you guys, Welcome! ... now get posting to keep us big-mouths in line, and to earn that D6 (we get to vote if you are allowed to go D8, and you have to bribe the admins somehow for a D10)

More
04 May 2011 17:45 #95726 by GnT
OK...Hi all. New F:Attie on the roster here but long-time lurker and all that.

Finally decided to man-up and take my place on the Great Wall of F:AT.

I like plastic representations of conflicting ideals, the (sleeved) cards that cause them friction, and the fickle fates that reside in the worn, stained dice I've been using since the early '90s.

I also really (really) like the Crunchwrap Supreme at Taco Bell but that's probably more than you care to know bout me at this stage in our budding relationship...

Who Dat!

That is all...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy, epaparellanto

More
04 May 2011 18:29 #95739 by Gary Sax
Welcome.

More
04 May 2011 18:37 #95740 by Sagrilarus

worn, stained dice

I have a d20 from the 70s that is damn near worn round. But! It's about twice as likely to roll a 20 as any other number, so I save it for important rolls.

Welcome aboard.

S.

More
04 May 2011 18:38 #95741 by Stephen Avery
GO AWAY!

Steve"Unwelcoming Committee"Avery

More
15 May 2011 20:26 #96363 by SaMoKo
I'm here because I like posting.
I've posted a few times on BGG and find it to be more of a mental asylum than a community so I thought I'd chill here. Some guy who probably has aspergers syndrome was arguing with me that I shouldn't talk about a game while playing it vOv

With all the hybrid games coming out, I don't really know the difference between a AT and a Euro anymore, so I suppose I just like games that aren't complete crap by whatever standards I have. Current games in my rotation are Imperial, Chicago Express, Twilight Struggle, Tigris Euphrates, and Axis and Allies (the last two have been in rotation since like forever). I don't know if some of these are AT games and I honestly don't give a shit. They're all good. My collection of games is about 20 and I don't see it growing too quickly because I think games should be ~replayable~, as in early German games which seem to have been replaced with ~complex~ bullshit.

I hate games that don't have much conflict, interaction or luck element to keep things fresh and interesting. Puerto Rico is a prime example of something I find to be shit, same with Egizia, Notre Dame, Maharaja and Caylus. I also tend to dislike fantasy themed dungeon crawls, but Arkham Horror is good and pretty much this so whatever. I don't have any experience with wargames more complex than Axis and Allies, but I have an open mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy, epaparellanto

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds