October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
20 Sep 2011 18:37 #103914 by Black Barney
welcome Pug, I'm from Montreal too and Aliens is also my favourite franchise. We'll get along fine especially if you enjoy co-showering to conserve water.

bomber, welcome to another BGG refugee. PLEASE post the link as msample has asked. We would love to see your story.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2011 19:43 #103919 by Pug
I'm all up for co-showering, conserving aside. Where are you from in Montreal Barney? I live in NDG.

More
20 Sep 2011 20:00 #103922 by Black Barney
yeah, the water conservation is just a front. Ken came up with that one, he's always been the smart one.

Where in NDG? Walkley street? :)

I used to be in St-Henri and now live in Longueuil with my wife and daughter.

I used to play CCGs in NDG tho

More
20 Sep 2011 20:05 #103924 by Schweig!
We need a perma-banned from BGG list.

Michael Barnes
Steve Weeks
lsdbomber
myself

Surprisingly not on the list: Mr. Skeletor
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
20 Sep 2011 20:20 #103925 by Chapel

Schweig! wrote: We need a perma-banned from BGG list.

Michael Barnes
Steve Weeks
lsdbomber
myself

Surprisingly not on the list: Mr. Skeletor

He perma-bans himself.

More
20 Sep 2011 20:39 #103929 by Pug

Black Barney wrote: yeah, the water conservation is just a front. Ken came up with that one, he's always been the smart one.

Where in NDG? Walkley street? :)

I used to be in St-Henri and now live in Longueuil with my wife and daughter.

I used to play CCGs in NDG tho

Actually a few blocks over from Walkley! Spent a lot of time there when I was younger, mostly at friends places in the 80's and early 90's... good times.

More
21 Sep 2011 00:37 #103955 by Jdrizzle
Heya

Dialling in from Melbourne, Australia here.

Only just found this site - was a big HeroQuest/Space Crusade player years ago, I had 2 base sets, the witch lord, kellers keep and the ogre horde expansions (picked up for $10 at a clearance department store no less!!). But was storing the whole lot at my mums place while I went off and started a family... she broke up with my stepdad and all I saw come back was part of the Space Crusade set. Sigh. The rest is either in landfill a thriftstore or some lucky punter picked it up cheap at an auction or in the house that was abandoned - either way, depressing.

However, my lovely wife found the base set and ROTW for $5 at a thrift store last week, and remembered I was down about losing my other sets. So my interest was re-ignited, which led me to finding this place. The furniture isn't in the best condition and most are terribly painted, but hey it's still HQ :-D
Now to wait for my 3 year old to get a bit older and force him to play it lol.

Aside from that, as I mentioned married with a young son, into lots different music (at the moment I've been rotating Kyuss, RHCP and Coil, but I like heaps of genres, Coil is about as obscure as I get - so, not very haha).
Actually probably listen to more podcasts than music at the moment - specifically the whole Smodcast network thing - some funny stuff coming out of there.
TV - Simpsons fan, watched through all of True Blood over last few months, Waiting for Boardwalk Empire and Law and Order SVU and South Park new seasons now...
Video Games - I don't really get the time, I have about a 25 game backlog lol... the last thing I played was Lego Batman a few weeks ago haha.

Comics wise I was a huge Deadpool fan, but haven't followed any of the last few years of deadpool overkill.. Marvel Ultimate Comics is probably the only thing I'm keeping up to date with...

So yeah.. thats kind of me, in a this is stuff I like list kind of way...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
21 Sep 2011 00:46 #103958 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Yay, another Aussie (and the third Melbournian after me and Skeletor). Do you game regularly at one of the Melbourne clubs or are you a recluse like me?

More
21 Sep 2011 01:20 #103961 by Jdrizzle
Nah I'm a recluse lol. I went along to a few gaming days at some of the comic book stores in Tassie when I lived there but they either shut down or the crowd was a bit too serious for me ;-) Nice to know there are some fellow Aussies on board

More
21 Sep 2011 01:36 - 21 Sep 2011 01:38 #103962 by Xlyce

Jdrizzle wrote: Aside from that, as I mentioned married with a young son, into lots different music (at the moment I've been rotating Kyuss, RHCP and Coil, but I like heaps of genres, Coil is about as obscure as I get - so, not very haha).

I dunno if they are still around, but I used to love Angel City back in the 80s, in particular Dark Room.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 01:38 by Xlyce.

More
21 Sep 2011 01:40 #103963 by Ancient_of_MuMu
There are a few aussies here. Off the top of my head: Ozjesting and JacobMartin are in Sydney and The Expanding Man is in Perth. I've got a feeling there is someone else who has been here a while that I have forgotten.

More
21 Sep 2011 02:00 - 21 Sep 2011 02:01 #103964 by DeletedUser

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: There are a few aussies here. Off the top of my head: Ozjesting and JacobMartin are in Sydney and The Expanding Man is in Perth. I've got a feeling there is someone else who has been here a while that I have forgotten.

I'm so ronery
So ronery
So ronery and sadry arone
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 02:01 by DeletedUser.

More
21 Sep 2011 14:41 - 21 Sep 2011 15:02 #103986 by bomber

Msample wrote:

ldsdbomber wrote: Hi
Like Mr.Barnes, I managed to get myself "banned" from BGG (laughably those weasels managed to pervert me leaving the site quietly into a little drama so they could drag my name into the mud and justify some half assed trumped up bullshit to say they "banned" me). Not as interesting as MB's comedy ban, and I don't have as much time or energy to contribute much at the moment, but hopefully I can fit in here a bit better from time to time. Just don't talk shit about my wife and baby son and we'll get along just fine

Oh, and to the hall monitor currently in charge of monitoring the new account logins. LOL. I mean, seriously.

Oh, please post a link to your BGG exit. I could use a good laugh.

its pretty tragic.

OK, I'm not blameless here, I do lose my rag sometimes when really I need to remember these guys are mostly fat fucking retards who spend their lives on chit chat forums overcompensating for being losers away from the keyboard, but anyway, after the nth time someone wound me up, I took down a photo of my kid, then some fat fuck followed me to my own personal gallery and continued to talk shit, at which point I told him to fuck off you nonce. Now, where I come from, a nonce is anyone who gives (including talks) shit about a kid, but yeah, I know how its mostly interpreted and that was a bit excessive, still private email, he was welcome to reply, but reported it (fair enough). I got a 7 day ban. Again, fair enough

So far so good but at this point, I decided that many months of listening to the fucking incessant bullshit coming from certain people there, and I think its fair to say you all know the usual suspects I mean without even needing to name names, and dealing with the school prefect mentality and molly coddling that goes on, I just decided to leave. My wife and I are having some mental issues (like, seriously, aside from haha hes a fucking nut) related to the death of her dad a few weeks before our first child was born. Its a touchy subject.

I tend to go "all in" on stuff so I think its fair to say I was a pretty prolific contributor there, perhaps compensating for not wanting to deal with other shit in my head. On the whole I think I put up some good stuff there, got a lot of things rolling, helped a lot more than I hindered.

OK, so I just snapped and decided fuck this, I'm deleting my account. Like, its NOT easy to do that with 2 years of "credit" there, all the things that are logged on your account, all the contacts, everything. Not a trivial thing to decide, but I did it, and decided to spend less time on the net, less time fucking blathering on about decisions spaces, point deltas and what have you, and just a) play more games and b) do more other stuff.

You with me?

Now, at no fucking point did I complain about the 7 day ban for calling fat fuck a nonce. And at no point did the admins do (as they say is standard) contact me to discuss transferring content to a dummy account so it didnt disappear. I didnt make the rules about stuff vanishing when you delete your account. And its my right to delete that account. So I did, its their system not mine, had they asked me about it, I probably would have said sure, proxy my stuff

then, some guy posts "where is ldsdbomber" (thats the thread you want for some laughs), and I think, agh, this is bad, maybe I left in a bad way, I want to at least explain to them whats going on, to those who I had good contact with. Now at no point did I declare some fucking drama queen thread "ooooo Im leaving". No, I deleted my account in peace and fucking quiet to try and regain a bit of dignity, but no, those fuckers werent going to have that

so, in the midst of a few decent folks trying to work out what went on, now a whole boat load of other fucks pile in talking shit about me
first, you dont even know me you twats, youve never met me and you have no fucking idea why I left, what shit I put up with, or how much shit I want to, they even complained about the stuff disappearing even though thats BGGs own system, not mine, and no one contacted me to retain it, but still they were bitching, I was like, dude, you dont even know me, you even said you dont know me or what ive done here, yet youre complaining about my stuff going, calling me selfish and other stuff

FUCK YOU pompous fucking twats, you had NO FUCKING IDEA what was going on in my life

Afterwards, I even saw some people saying things like "geez man, if you're going to leave just leave, dont make a big drama." What the fuck? I DID JUST TRY TO FUCKING LEAVE ROGER, and I never said SHIT to anyone about it. It was everyone else who decided to kick up a fucking bullshit drama for the entertainment of the chit chat forum

anyway, Im a bit bemused at this point, so i try to post a final post explaining why I left, I used first my wifes, then my sons accounts

I see that some fucker is DELETING this as I am writing, so I am setting up new accounts in real time to try and post this

Now, in the VERY FIRST FUCKING sentence of the "goodbye" post I state (get this)

"I WILL DELETE THIS ACCOUNT ONCE IVE EXPLAINED MYSELF HERE" (paraphrased). I want you to remember that.
I tried to explain what had happened, that I was tired of the bullshit, hadn't intended to fuck anyone over with the missing stuff but had more important things to take care of and a break from the site was needed.

Id planned to use another account later to just log shit, keep my head down and keep quiet

so heres where it gets creepy, first of all, Octavian, who I had SPECIFICALLY called out as a "good guy" in the goodbye post and said hed been more than fair, and I think IIRC I apologised for the shit Id caused, wades in, locks the thread and says that because of these proxy accounts Im banned forever, "for not following the rules here" and "he presumed I would use these accounts in the future to break the rules"

Now go back to the part where I specifically said "I WILL DELETE THIS ACCOUNT AFTER POSTING THIS GOODBYE/EXPLANATION...." and ask yourself, at what point does that imply I'm planning to "break the rules" (listen to how fucking weird that even sounds), particularly given i had a SEVEN FUCKING DAY ban. I can assure you I would have had no problem waiting 7 days to post, but you know, I WAS FUCKING DELETING MY ACCOUNT and trying to respond to people piling on and trying to shit on me who had no idea what happened

Now, they pile in with the comments about the "slander" thread (where I called fat fuck a nonce for talking shit about my kid) and then the whole thing is spun in to "banned for life"

EVEN THOUGH I HAD ALREADY HAD A 7 DAY POSTING BAN, and that was it

No one contacted me to keep hold of the stuff I did on site.
Yes, did I post during the ban, ahah, yeah, but read it, it was a few hours after I'd quit to explain why, apologise and LEAVE. At what point of that process does that make me some kind of uber fucking criminal

FUCK. YOU.

Only that site and those twats policing it in their shiny shorts and fuckwit hats has driven me to spewing the kind of shite that I find myself spewing here. For the most part, I'm a regular fucking guy, I've met several BGGers, including some well known ones, guess what, I'm not a raving psycho or some arch fucking criminal.

All I wanted was to step out of the BGG "game", have a new account that no one recognised, log my shit, keep quiet and chill the fuck out. Now I've been turned into some Bin Laden level outcast, Ive even tried making some new accounts to see if I can log some stuff ( NOT POST), but no, some little wanker has been given the project of watching the new registrations and I get deleted after a week. This was just my own personal way to see the levels these fuckers will go to, in order to distort reality.

I'll still drop in to use the site for my own needs, but really at this point, they've fucked me over and they can go fuck themselves. I tried to talk to Octavian via here but he didnt reply. He fucking KNOWS the way he got me permabanned is bullshit, and he can quote the official bullet pointed rulebook all he likes. We both know multiple accounts there are rife, he knows he never contacted me when I deleted my account, he knows I tried to post ONE POST to explain / say goodbye, and he knows they fucking perverted a 7 day posting ban and made it into something it absolutely wasnt for their own fucking ends.

Its bullshit, but frankly it just highlights to me how right i was, that theres something very fucking weird going on behind the scenes there, and I'm glad to be out of it.

Oh, and ... Hi everyone!

:-)

PS
and to mr J.C.FuckTard, you seem to have felt the need to pile on in that trolling way you do, by questioning my intelligence at the auto response to stimulus issue. But thats just because you are too fucking stupid to know the difference between an auto response showing lack of intelligence (like your own for example, whenever you join a thread, you talk like a fucking twat to troll, auto response...) and a lifestyle choice. YOu see, I CHOOSE to come after anyone who talks shit about my family. Its not a low intelligence auto response. Its a choice, one I welcome and enjoy. So fuck off you moustachioed twat and save your half baked fortune cookie wisdom for the other fucktards who can't wait to fellate you via their keyboards.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 15:02 by bomber. Reason: just to talk a bit of shit about clearclaw
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, Schweig!, Black Barney

More
21 Sep 2011 15:26 #103989 by Ska_baron
Internet drama is the most hilarious entertainment ever! Unless you get caught up in it. *guilty*

Sorry stuff IRL was rough for you though - hoping it's better for you and yours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
21 Sep 2011 15:44 - 21 Sep 2011 15:54 #103990 by bomber
thanks man, I know what you mean, its embarrassing for all involved, don't worry I feel more than enough shame for getting involved, but it just drove me bonkers the way it got turned into something it never was

ah well, water under the bridge, I'll try to contribute here when I can!

my favourite image though is one of Octavian in a tight spandex suit hovering in the air Minority Report style, shuffling giant holographic displays of nerd logins the whole world over and a red ball popping out of his ass rolling down a chute and it says

"Harris using proxy account 3 days in the future (assumed)" and the honking of some sci fi alarm going off and all the frustrated little nerdboys in their BGG admin Tshirts donning their handbags and rushing down to the server room to monitor the logins

"Sir, we have a hotmail login sourced to Sweden on Screen 5"

"ENHANCE"

"It's harris, shut it down, shut it down" honk honk honk (insert some kind of defcon sound here as you will, accompanied perhaps by one of the big death star weapon levers which I think should be fitted as standard to all household equipment)
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 15:54 by bomber. Reason: just cuz

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.673 seconds