October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Your Favorite Tabletop Role-Playing Games

More
10 May 2017 18:05 #248129 by Rliyen
Dungeons & Dragons – My first foray into the RPG scene was in 1979 playing the Blue cover AD&D. Throughout my teenage years, I played the hell out of it. The modules were well produced, but some were better than others (Like, to this day, how do you get to the inner courtyard in A1 when there is no entrances or exits anywhere leading to it. Also, they mention wall encounters, but how do the guards get to the wall without ladders or stairs?). In the late 80s, I gave my stuff to my best friend, keeping only the monster manuals & Fiend Folio, and pretty much forgot about playing it.

One of the Secret Satans a couple of years ago (I think) sent me a copy of the 3.0 Players Handbook. Not much longer after that, I started playing The Temple of Elemental Evil and Neverwinter Nights on my computer, which got me interested in playing the tabletop game again. Since then, I’ve picked up copies of old 1st edition and 3.x stuff to run for my son and his friends. His character is a sorcerer named the Amazing Fry. I also plan on running the game Midnight after my group finishes Battlestar Galactica, we got seven episodes left before I bring the series to an end.

Feng Shui – After D&D, this was my absolute favorite to play. Easy to run, even easier to play and more fan made material you could shake a stick at. I ran a successful campaign for over five years before becoming burned out on it. The most players I had playing at one time was nine, and I’ve never gotten back to that point. One of my favorite memories was the reaction by my players when one of my GMCs committed suicide, I got chased around a parking lot for that by one of the players because she was THAT upset.

Mutant Chronicles – Far future? Check. Dystopian? Check. Supernatural Evil? Checkity Check. Background and atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife? Where do I sign up? This was another game I came across at my Ye Olde Local Games Storee and immediately became enamored with. And shortly after the game was put out, if I remember correctly, the boardgame came out, which I immediately picked up. 1st Edition was heavy on the background and light on rules workings, including nonsensical Armor rules. 2nd Edition fixed some of the problems, but not all of them. Now, Modiphus has their new, brand spanking new edition (which I playtested and backed on KS) and it’s great. I’m truly glad that they revived this great RPG and gave it an engine to actually make it work.

Villains & Vigilantes – Another game I was into at the same time as D&D. The modules were well written and just plain fun to read. Jeff Dee’s artwork to this day is still tops in my book because of his foray into the RPG genre with this game. I played 2nd Edition heavily in college, with my fraternity brothers, and beating the crap out of bad guys became a regular staple on Fridays. I tried to like the spiritual successor by Dee and Herman called Living Legends, but it just didn’t cut the mustard with me.

Justifiers – A game I came across at my Ye Olde Local Games Storee when I was in college in the early 90s. The concept, canon, and backstory was fucking awesome! The ruleset was FUCKING TERRIBLE. I remember playing it only once or twice with my friends, who were equally confused why the rules were the way they were. It’s also known now by me as The Game That Furries Ruined for Me - as the players in the game were Betas, human/animal hybrids, and Furries didn’t really come on the scene until the mid to late 90s. Once they did, it put me off the game. I may run it again, but I’ll have to set fire to their rules and use something else. It was a labor of love from a small game designer, and I’d hate to see it go to waste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds