October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

The Elder Scrolls: LEGENDS

More
05 Apr 2018 14:47 #267026 by Hex Sinister

I've been hooked on this game for a while now and since the new Morrowind expansion is dropping this afternoon I thought I'd try to generate some interest here. This is an online CCG a lot like Hearthstone but a lot better according to many ex-Hearthstone players. It's free to play and they give out pretty generous rewards for logging in.

Card Features:
Decks run from 50-100 cards.
There are 6 colors/schools of cards to choose from
As of today, you can create tricolor decks
You may include up to 3 copies of each card in your deck with the exception of Unique Legendaries

Combat:
Mana (Magicka) is handled as in Hearthstone but the second player receives a Ring of Magicka that will boost your pool by +1, three times as opposed to a one use coin.
There are two combat lanes. The left lane is standard but the right lane is a shadow lane where units receive stealth for one turn. This means they cannot be attacked immediately. Creatures can only interact with other creatures in the same lane but lane manipulation effects are common. The two lanes offer an additional level of strategy and complexity while being simple to grasp.
At increments of 5hp on your life wheel there are soul gems. When an opponent breaks one of these gems you always draw a free card. If this card has the Prophecy keyword, you play it for free. This simple but great mechanic makes you consider when to attack instead of just going all out face all the time. A nice balance mechanism that can give you help against very aggressive decks.

Game modes:
Standard VS. and Draft (Arena) play
Story mode vs. computer AI
Draft play vs. computer AI
Practice mode w/ 3 difficuties vs. AI
Weekly special events and tournaments

Rewards:
Daily log on rewards w/ calendar. From free event tickets, gold, gems, and cards depending on the day.
Daily quest gold rewards
3 game win gold rewards
Titles/acheivements to earn for fun or challenge
Twitch rewards for logging on streams (leave running in background for free stuff basically)
Monthly card award for ranked play ladder. Number of cards received depends on rank but as long as you get rank 9 *easy* you will receive one card and can craft the rest.
Arena type play and special events typically reward free packs
You can purchase themed decks (with some very good cards!) for gold

That's about all I can think of for now but I'll be glad to answer any questions. I enjoy the game much more than Hearthstone and this is a great free to play game as far as the free rewards go. They are very good here. It's also less annoying. Sure, there will always be annoying archetypes like face rush and ramp but somehow it's not as obnoxious here as it was in HS. Currently, there are no banned/restricted cards in normal play.

The game is just a hell of a lot of fun if you enjoy strategy games. If you are sick of Hearthstone, I encourage you to jump the fence and check this game out like many others have. It might not look as slick at first but it's a classy looking game IMO. Check it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds