October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Let's Talk: No Man's Sky

More
30 Jul 2018 09:36 #278727 by Legomancer
Finally got to play the NEXT update, which is practically an entire new game. I've been playing this since its original release and I've enjoyed every minute (except that one patch which caused non stop crashes for about a week).

The game was nearly murdered by gamers and the video game media when it came out, but it's weathered the storm, and I think it's solid. Then again, what I like about it is what a lot of gamers will hate: it's almost completely free form, with little direction, and no real way to master or dominate it. It's a solo experience (and despite the introduction of multiplayer, will continue to be for me) and can be repetitious. Still, it's the one I always turn to.

What are others experiencing with the new version?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2018 10:14 #278735 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk: No Man's Sky
I like it. It's absolutely worth the 30 bucks or whatever. You do really just have to get into a rhythm and turn off your brain during the downtime, day to day tasks (endless carbon/fuel etc extraction). That's why I think great podcast game is a good moniker for me. I actually think this:

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/26/no-m...ing-is-inaccessible/

...successfully expresses the things that don't totally work for me? I'm trying to build my hyperdrive, so right now I don't have that experience of randomly jumping to new planets that creates a lot of exploratory wonder. My understanding is that early players could start exploring relatively soon, I'm still grinding out key elements, refining them twice, etc. Which can be a little bit of a drag when you have to also pay for fuel every time you liftoff.

But overall, it is certainly super unique. And the visuals are extremely good, which I think is important because it is trading on them pretty heavily---new vistas, planets, combinations of plants and animals, etc are a big reward for looking around. I think the art design is really good too. While it's a bit generic sci-fi, it's super colorful and vibrant. The whole vibe of a galaxy full of ships and species that don't just hate you for no reason is pretty refreshing.

More
30 Jul 2018 10:29 #278738 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Let's Talk: No Man's Sky
The whole refining thing is brand new.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2018 10:44 #278741 by Black Barney
I think is going to be my next game. Haven't bought a new game in years it feels like.

More
30 Jul 2018 11:32 #278747 by SuperflyPete
I have always liked Elite Dangerous but the planetary landings SUCK. The little truck you use SUCKS.

If anyone has played both, convince me this is better.

More
30 Jul 2018 11:42 #278752 by Black Barney
Yeah, I need to hear more comparisons to Elite Dangerous to really make up my mind.

Pete, what sucks about planetary landings exactly? I've never seen one so I know nothing about them other than the idea is very cool.

More
30 Jul 2018 12:06 #278758 by the_jake_1973
repost:

I bought No Man's Sky and I am impressed.

I am only on my third planet and I have only touched a relatively small bit of the first world.

Does everyone start on a toxic world?

The planet I just landed on had a medium predator killing these smaller prey animals. Nature.

More
30 Jul 2018 14:25 #278761 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: Yeah, I need to hear more comparisons to Elite Dangerous to really make up my mind.

Pete, what sucks about planetary landings exactly? I've never seen one so I know nothing about them other than the idea is very cool.

You spend 15 minutes to land, for one. You have to slow down, then endure this bullshit glide thing, then try to find a place to land which sucks because every planet is apparently sick with chicken pox and has no flat spots anywhere.

If you land at a port it’s not as bad but it’s tedious and even with auto-landing sometimes a ship will clip you and blow you the fuck up with a full load of shit you spent 4 hours mining.

Then you use this truck which has fucking awful stock controls. AWFUL. On top of the awful controls, it’s got realistic gravity so you may well hit a bump and go careening off 20 miles up with no recourse but to sit and watch the sky as you plummet to a fiery death.

Once you keymap the controls it’s better but still, the whole landing sequence sucks dog balls. Furry, flea infested ones.

More
30 Jul 2018 14:49 #278764 by the_jake_1973
There are very few reasons that the pilot in a spacefaring vessel should have to manually perform a landing. Docking at a port or landing on a planet are not those reasons.

More
30 Jul 2018 15:44 #278768 by SuperflyPete
I agree. That’s what makes the “Horizons” expansion a total waste of money.

More
30 Jul 2018 17:32 #278774 by Black Barney
I know it’s dumb but the manual docking in Elite Dangerous is my favourite part of the game

More
30 Jul 2018 19:41 - 30 Jul 2018 19:45 #278781 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk: No Man's Sky
No man's sky is much different. Totally arcadey. You hold square when you are near a big patch of ground and it lands you. When you get near a station you automatically land. No complicated maneuvers or anything like that.

I think before you buy just know what you're getting into. It's more Zen then anything else, but I've heard elite dangerous has some of the same vibe but much more technical and "realistic.". You're not buying the ultimate starship battler or anything.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 19:45 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Jul 2018 20:15 #278785 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk: No Man's Sky

Black Barney wrote: I know it’s dumb but the manual docking in Elite Dangerous is my favourite part of the game

Not dumb at all. People love challenge, but even stranger, people love following procedures. I mean, I enjoy checking all my tires before hopping on my car on Police Quest. That whole game is about following procedures, and it's fun as heck.

More
30 Jul 2018 20:29 #278791 by Black Barney
I loved that in Police Quest too :)

More
31 Jul 2018 08:39 #278809 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Let's Talk: No Man's Sky
Here's some starting tips I just sent to a pal:

1) resources are plentiful. you don't have to carry everything you see.

2) the Sodium and Oxygen (formerly zinc and thamium9) plants are on every planet, and recharging hazard protection and life support doesn't take a lot.

3) leave sentinels alone. if one scans you, just stop what you're doing. if they're on alert, run away. they will lose interest. idk if it still works, but doing jetpack boosts while running will often make something lose your scent

4) don't fuck with a whispering egg (these are new and boy did I learn that the hard way)

5) most important: have fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds