October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Sekiro

More
20 Apr 2019 19:05 - 20 Apr 2019 19:10 #295822 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Sekiro
Got even further. I've read online that the middle portion where it opens up, once you've mastered some of the basics, is the best. I completely agree. The way the game is wrapped around itself is as good as the best From games. And having alt options is really important in a game that is frustratingly difficult.

Warning: Spoiler!

Anyway, really feeling the difficulty groove right now. I'm told it gets much harder and punishing and flips over to frustrating brick wall mode but right now it's really on point, being very demanding but achievable. The drunk guy is still the hardest fight I've had but that was one of those things where I had to learn some core lessons and that was my time to do so.

On a side note, I love the mystical Sengoku setting after the many visits to western european canon. I laughed out loud when, after killing like endless numbers of corrupted Catholic priests seeking forbidden knowledge in From games,

Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 19:10 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 09:26 #295866 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Sekiro
I'll say this for Sekiro, there hasn't been a single area that I've hated. No Blighttown, or that bit towards the end in Bloodborne where Yharnam's sky goes red and all the fun disappears for a while. I've gotten clutched up on mini bosses but not any particular sections of normal enemies or awful level segments. It's been a pretty smooth ride.

Speaking of, I'm at the last boss now after doing heaps on heaps of optional stuff. Still grinding away but I'm able to get to their last phase fairly consistently, so next time I get a chance to sit down with the game I'm pretty sure I'll finish it. I'll spoiler tag a section in a bit, but there's a late game area that's tied with Senpou for how much I enjoyed it so you have that to look forward to.

More
23 Apr 2019 08:44 #295939 by Vysetron
Decided to finish this last night, and did. The last fight is long as hell but it is a pretty fun one and the first two phases are easy enough to not get hit during once you get a feel for them. I still don't think I truly have a handle on the other phases.

Overall: I liked it! I don't love it. The boss quality is all over the place and there aren't as many of them as I'd like. Granted there's heaps of minibosses, but they're just as uneven in quality. I have a feeling some of my gripes will fade on a future playthrough now that I know what I'm doing. What won't improve is the complete lack of weapon variety. Prosthetics are a lot of fun, but they're just not a substitute for having actual different attacks. Bloodborne's still number 1 there.

I'll be jumping into new game + once I finish a little more side stuff but right now I really just want a break. Phew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Apr 2019 10:20 - 23 Apr 2019 10:23 #295943 by Gary Sax
Completely agree with the prosthetics. Not impressed by how they vary up play. Even though I have 700 of them, the way they've done spirit emblems means I'm always at least a little precious with them in a way that doesn't encourage experimentation.

Yeah, I'm torn on the issue about diversity of play. I think it's a big issue so I tend to agree... but also I always just go with one weapon or weapon type for each playthrough usually in these games. So in practice is it that different? I think it is, because I got to choose that weapon initially and then in further playthroughs I can make different choices.

That said, commiting to the sword does mean that the combat is way, way less janky in this game than it is in BB and DS. It's way closer to as tight as a fighting game.

wrt to my game:
Last edit: 23 Apr 2019 10:23 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Apr 2019 11:13 #295947 by Vysetron
I'll concede that the fights are tighter as a result of being built around the sword, but perilous counters would work regardless and I still really miss the variety. That said Sekiro just isn't the same kind of game.

I'll dump all the tips in the spoiler box because that boss has some tricks. It went from super frustrating to one of my favorites as a result.

More
27 Apr 2019 20:25 - 27 Apr 2019 20:27 #296177 by Gary Sax
Still ape:

Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 20:27 by Gary Sax.

More
27 Apr 2019 22:07 #296180 by Vysetron
Regarding ape:

I just flew through a second playthrough (evil) so I could see the last couple bosses. I'm glad I did it, but it also made me realize how thin the content in Sekiro really is. I have zero motivation to play this game again. It's not that I didn't enjoy my time with it, but once you're rolling through new game + you realize just how little there actually is to do without all the fancy collectibles to get. You're just left with the combat, which is good but ultimately shallow.

Sekiro is at its core just a game about execution, and I mean that in the button input and literal sense. You beat your head against an enemy for a bit, solve them, move on to the next thing. Once you've killed everything in the game there's really nothing left to do. I guess I could get the middle two endings for the platinum trophy, but I've never given a single fuck about achievements.

All this made me want is to go back to Bloodborne. I'm gonna start a fresh file when I get a block of free time.

More
28 Apr 2019 01:14 #296184 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I'm still not sure where I land. I could see it not having much staying power but I'm enjoying my first game through the midgame.

More
29 Apr 2019 03:06 #296221 by Gary Sax
A couple of really unimpressive levels have sapped a fair amount of good will

When they

More
29 Apr 2019 09:44 #296226 by Vysetron
Straight into spoilers then!

More
16 May 2019 00:26 - 16 May 2019 00:27 #297132 by Gary Sax
Back to Ashina castle.

Last edit: 16 May 2019 00:27 by Gary Sax.

More
16 May 2019 09:30 #297142 by Vysetron
Welcome to the last 1/3 or so of the game! Depends on how much other stuff you've already done I guess, but that's about right.

More
23 May 2019 18:38 - 23 May 2019 18:44 #297558 by Gary Sax
Welp, now I'm at the reservoir and the fire boss. I'm kind of fatigued with the game at this point, the fire boss is kind of bullshit and I just beat the spear general with the general add, had to look up the easy way to beat them (whistle). I'm told the final boss is a whole thing so whoopee. I got the proper items for the good ending, I think, I was very thorough. At this point I'm just using skill points on attack upgrades because the late game techniques aren't doing much for me, everyone blocks everything but counter attacks anyway so who cares.

I'm listening to the bonfireside chat podcasts alon this and I must say their beef rings true with me, there's a limited amount of entertaining treasure to find. My search exhaustiveness is very self motivated at this point, I mainly get what they call clown materials (ie balloons, sugars, powders, if you're lucky some crafting stuff).
Last edit: 23 May 2019 18:44 by Gary Sax.

More
24 May 2019 10:07 #297594 by Vysetron
Fire boss is basically a Bloodborne fight without a Bloodborne dodge. It's tough. If you make the red umbrella you can ignore the worst of his moveset, aside from his big sweep. I'd recommend saving your whistle uses for phase 3 because he'll put you in a ring of fire. If you time your whistle uses to stagger him a couple times in a row you can just beat him up until the ring dissipates. It'll make phase 3 the easiest instead of a nightmare.

You've found my biggest issue with Sekiro - there's nothing left to do once you hit endgame. Most of the skills suck. None of the emblem-spending ones are worth it. You basically only need Ichimonji Double, the rest are just nice-to-haves. There's nothing to improve besides health which caps out with beads and attack which takes forever. My second playthrough surprised me with just how little meat the game really has. It's shinobi Punch Out, only you have to take a long walk between each fight.

More
24 May 2019 10:56 #297597 by Gary Sax
I'm not super intrigued by the world, either, which again accentuates the walk between bosses thing you mentioned. I think the game's pretty good but I'm not convinced I'll be doing another run or trying to platinum like I did DS3 or Bloodborne.

Yeah, I went and did all the headless and sorcerer fights, which are basically just equipment checks. They'd be almost impossible to do without the proper equipment. So now it's fire boss or nothing, I guess.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds