October 09, 2023
2703 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2868 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Descent definitely totally not 3.0

More
12 Aug 2021 18:46 #325524 by Space Ghost
I saw a pic Michael posted of his game on Twitter…our monster spawns were different, so that speaks to some replayability due to either randomness, party construction, or decisions.

In ours, two cultists boosted a bandit to 16 damage that almost one shot killed our paladin/defender. Completely unexpected
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2021 18:52 #325525 by Michael Barnes
Yeah I have had some of that oh shit, the bandit did how much damage stuff.

I love that the bandit mini would be like a boss in another game.

More
12 Aug 2021 19:38 #325526 by Frohike
Pardon me for going into CA mode here because I'm on beer #2. I'm so stoked to hear that this is becoming a "long live the new flesh" moment for Descent/Terrinoth, but also bummed that it currently caps out at 4 players (my dungeon crawling group usually has 5+, which continues to limit my options unless I just go full bore down the RPG route). If they start to allow more players, it'll be a definite draw for me.

Also, is the app only usable on tablets/phones? I'd much rather Airplay it from my laptop onto the TV...

More
12 Aug 2021 20:00 #325527 by hotseatgames
I believe the app is on Steam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
13 Aug 2021 09:49 #325541 by jpat

n815e wrote:

Kmann wrote: Tom Vassal burnt, I think, Monopoly. Pretty sure he also threw one off a roof? Something like that. It was a bit he did occasionally back in the 00s.

Ah, impetuous youth.

Now all he needs to do is put on Letterman's Alka-Seltzer suit.

More
13 Aug 2021 09:59 #325543 by Michael Barnes
Scenario 3 - which may not be your scenario 3-

Warning: Spoiler!

The app abso-fucking-lutely made that level of discovery, narrative, surprise, and even character development possible. Short of an actual GMed RPG session, no board game has ever been so successful at doing this kind of thing. And it is important to point out that the whole time I was making ON THE TABLE decisions about using skills, placing focus/preparation tokens, targeting threats, budgeting actions, planning combinations, and so forth. On top of that, I had to make decisions before the scenario in terms of upgrading gear and crafting supplies, which does not fucking take 45 minutes as has been suggested. And all the upgrades and effects are shown right there in the combat window so you know what is happening.

Honestly, I can’t imagine going back to playing Gloomhaven at this stage. This does a lot of the same things- there are town and travel events (which do not require more reading than a card). But all the admin work is just -gone-. It’s still transparent and you still know what is going on, you just don’t have to do the work that I guess a lot of people mistake for gameplay.

More
13 Aug 2021 12:31 #325546 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: Honestly, I can’t imagine going back to playing Gloomhaven at this stage. This does a lot of the same things- there are town and travel events (which do not require more reading than a card). But all the admin work is just -gone-. It’s still transparent and you still know what is going on, you just don’t have to do the work that I guess a lot of people mistake for gameplay.

It's hard for me to imagine this isn't the launching point for the next generation of dungeon crawls. There are things that can be improved, but it is definitely hard to want to go back to all the admin work that stands in the way of the gameplay and the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2021 13:16 #325547 by El Cuajinais

Michael Barnes wrote: the whole time I was making ON THE TABLE decisions about using skills, placing focus/preparation tokens, targeting threats, budgeting actions, planning combinations, and so forth.

Not so sure about all this. I finished that same forest scenario (I chose it as the 2nd scenario) yesterday and came away thinking I was spending most of the time on the app. Especially since that scenario is very heavy on interacting with exploration tokens, so that may have been the reason. Now I’m seeing better the perspective of Tom Vassel and that dude who was implied an old racist misogynist homophobe here. I definitely think it works better as a solo game than a group game, so fully agree with Vassel on that. But then I’ve only played solo.

I do love having the app take care of most of the calculation overhead, the narrative, and exploration. So less time doing mental gymnastics and flipping through scenario book pages. Since I’m solo, I also like hearing the music and the small amount of narration. I’d feel stupid narrating and acting out to myself. After that second scenario I’m leaning towards saying this is a cross between a boardgame and a video game, and hence it is the perfect solo board game. And on that same scenario playing the normal difficulty, my party did not get a single minor wound. But I did craft the vigor potion so each member of my party has 1 potion for the mission. I hope I played that right. I loved the ending for the scenario! Makes the 3D board come to life. Would have been more exciting if I didn’t mow down the enemies as easily as I did. I can see why Barnes got so excited since his party got out by the skin of their teeth. I can’t believe many players say they would just as well play with a flat board. I guess to each their own but c’mon man!

Michael Barnes wrote: But all the admin work is just -gone-. It’s still transparent and you still know what is going on, you just don’t have to do the work that I guess a lot of people mistake for gameplay.

I’m now seriously pondering that question as it pertains to myself. Maybe I do like some fiddlyness and I just didn't know it? I mean I’ve always thought I hated it but now that I don’t have it has left a vacuum that I don’t like having filled with a screen. Maybe that extra time can be spent better than on a screen? Maybe an audible app is the solution?

"Ok Google, Bryn is attacking the yellow wolf with the warhammer."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Kmann

More
13 Aug 2021 13:23 #325548 by the_jake_1973
In reading people's comments about the game, I'm left with the question about whether the board part is needed at all and this could all be done as an app. Why have a board at all? For the minis? To have something tactile to fiddle with? If the game was entirely on screen, would anything be truly lost?

More
13 Aug 2021 13:46 #325549 by El Cuajinais

the_jake_1973 wrote: In reading people's comments about the game, I'm left with the question about whether the board part is needed at all and this could all be done as an app. Why have a board at all? For the minis? To have something tactile to fiddle with? If the game was entirely on screen, would anything be truly lost?

99.999% of video games can’t be converted to a boardgame. Only turn based ones can be converted. And even those need to be modified due to the small computational and retention capacity people have compared to a computer.

Any boardgame ever created under the sun can be converted 1 to 1 (that is, exactly) to a videogame.

So yes, it’s always going to be the about the tactile feeling, the smell of cards and printed manuals, the sharing 3 dimensional space with friends. That is the only thing that ALL boardgames are about. It’s why we prefer the Ticket to Ride boardgame to the App. Or to hanging out on a table where we are all passing each other an iPad with the TTR app. Or to a table where we each of us have a mobile screen and are all playing in the same TTR game on each individual screen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
13 Aug 2021 14:07 #325550 by the_jake_1973
I get the tactile issue. it is why I like plastic laden KS affairs. LOL

With so much done by the app, why play this solo instead of a computer RPG?

More
13 Aug 2021 14:09 #325551 by El Cuajinais
I have a theory. It's possible playing solo may be what has contributed to looking a lot at the screen. There are no discussions to be had with anyone about what’s going on in the map, what to do next, or anything really. That extra efficiency gained by the app just goes back into plowing through the scenario, and in this case, a scenario that required probably more interactions with the screen than the typical scenario (hopefully). Tom Vassel played it solo it seems, and we are coming to the same conclusion about how this should be a "solo only" game. Just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973, n815e

More
13 Aug 2021 14:59 #325552 by Shellhead
I suppose that someone could make Twister into an app-based game, but then players would lose the tactile sensation of humping their friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, jason10mm, sornars

More
13 Aug 2021 15:06 #325553 by the_jake_1973

Shellhead wrote: I suppose that someone could make Twister into an app-based game, but then players would lose the tactile sensation of humping their friends.

I don't need a Twister game for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus

More
13 Aug 2021 15:30 #325554 by RobertB

El Cuajinais wrote: Any boardgame ever created under the sun can be converted 1 to 1 (that is, exactly) to a videogame.

I've got a copy of Gulo Gulo that begs to differ. :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds