October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Arkham Horror Minis

More
11 Jul 2009 14:50 #34582 by SusanR
Arkham Horror Minis was created by SusanR
I didn't want to keep sidetracking the strategies thread but I wanted to post a few links. Not that anyone seems to agree with me about wanting AH minis but these are still cool.

Some guy on BGG posted pics of minis he painted for the player characters. It sounds like he gave up because they didn't match well enough. He got them here . There are lots of cool pulp figures.

Another guy post this link for loads of CoC minis. There are some pretty good character matches. I like the monsters that they have too. After thinking about it, I don't think I would mind if the scale was off. I just want something more visual than a flat chit.

You'd have to be freakin' crazy to try to do it this way, though. It would cost a fortune just the buy the matching minis you could find. So I'm back to wishing that FFG had at least done sculpts of the characters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2009 15:48 #34588 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
I still have a shitload of Call of Cthulhu mini's from my roelplaying days - they'd probably work well but I've never played Arkham Horror.

More
11 Jul 2009 20:07 #34595 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
Those Mini's look quite cool. It would cost a bit to mini the whole game though.
A "flat chit"? You don't put your chits in stands?

More
11 Jul 2009 20:13 #34596 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
Those cardboard monster chits do a lot of work. They have the Evade modifier and movement symbol on the front, as well as a color border that dictates their movement style. On the back are three more stats, and potentially several more traits like "Overwhelming" or "Physical Resistance" or "Ambush." I don't really see any practical way to convey all that information with a plastic figure.

More
12 Jul 2009 00:11 #34600 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Those Mini's look quite cool. It would cost a bit to mini the whole game though.
A "flat chit"? You don't put your chits in stands?

Well, shoot. I've never thought of putting them in stands and apparently neither has anyone in the groups I've played with or watched. Great idea, I'll have to try it. It doesn't eventually wear on the chits does it? The stands in AH actually seem kind of gentler than some I've seen.

Shellhead: I would just put the chit under or next to the monster figure. There aren't usually many monsters in one spot. Well, one would hope anyway, if you've got things under control.

More
12 Jul 2009 00:43 - 12 Jul 2009 01:06 #34602 by Mr Skeletor
SusanR wrote:

Well, shoot. I've never thought of putting them in stands and apparently neither has anyone in the groups I've played with or watched. Great idea, I'll have to try it. It doesn't eventually wear on the chits does it? The stands in AH actually seem kind of gentler than some I've seen.

A lot of people do it as you can use the stands to 'count' how many monsters can be in arkham - ie if you run out of stands beasties go in the outskirts.

As far as wear and tear goes, depends on what stands you have. The old 'aligator' stands are fine, the newer 'FFG' ones are chit rippers - I used a blade to shave the bitey bits down so they wont damage the chit.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2009 01:06 by Mr Skeletor.

More
12 Jul 2009 00:52 #34604 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
I got so tired of constantly counting monsters on the board and flipping monsters over to see stats that I started putting my monsters in stands a few months ago. At the start of the game I count out the number of stands equal to the Arkham monster limit and set them in one spot at the end of the board. If I run out of stands I know I hit the monster limit and all other monsters go to the outskirts. Using the stands for monsters also looks cooler than having monsters chits flat on the board.

More
12 Jul 2009 01:07 #34605 by Mr Skeletor
KingPut wrote:

I got so tired of constantly counting monsters on the board and flipping monsters over to see stats that I started putting my monsters in stands a few months ago. At the start of the game I count out the number of stands equal to the Arkham monster limit and set them in one spot at the end of the board. If I run out of stands I know I hit the monster limit and all other monsters go to the outskirts. Using the stands for monsters also looks cooler than having monsters chits flat on the board.

It also helps you not overlook them when moving monsters.

More
12 Jul 2009 20:28 #34622 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
SusanR, your post got me thinking. Arkham Horror has pretty good size cult like following. So I think there would be a market for a limited edition collectors set. They came out with a limited for War of Rings, Settlers, Axis and Allies, even Caylus came out with a limited edition so why not Arkham Horror?

I'm not into limited edition stuff personally but now that my Arkham Horror collection is worth over $250 with all the expansion, I think I would be interested in buying a limited edition Arkham set.

I think somebody could work out converting the cardboard information to minis. Perhaps they could put the stats on the base of the monster minis.

More
12 Jul 2009 22:00 #34624 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
KingPut- the limited edition set, with a ton of minis in a coffin box, is a great idea. Arkham is one of the better sellers out there, plus they would sell to CoC RPGers who want a nice set of various minis.

To really pimp it out, they could do little busts of all the great old ones...

We played Arkham today, and I shot Yig in his ugly cultist licking tongue with a shotgun. We did a terrible job of sealing gates but kicked ass on Yig... I need to get the expansions.

More
12 Jul 2009 22:45 #34630 by Michael Barnes
Instead of making all these custom minis, why don't you just wait until FFG puts out the real ones?

I'm just sayin'...

More
13 Jul 2009 10:29 #34654 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:Arkham Horror Minis
Michael Barnes wrote:

Instead of making all these custom minis, why don't you just wait until FFG puts out the real ones?

I'm just sayin'...

You tease.

They did do those Descent lieutenants though....

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds