October 09, 2023
2635 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2825 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

French-England CDG from Twilight Struggle Designers?

More
15 Sep 2008 21:09 #11366 by Gary Sax
Yes, please. Here's what someone on CSW recently said about the game:

"While also chatting with Ananda at WBC he mentioned a bit more about their next project, the Anglo-French rivalry that culminated in the battle of Waterloo, and which has been termed the "Second Hundred Years' War". There is a book called "That Sweet Enemy" covering this period and that may become the title.

Sounds like the game will also have a global scope (Seven Years War especially notable in that regard) and develop the kind of card combinations featured in Twilight Struggle. Wars will, however, be more elaborate then just a 1d6!

I guess there are no discussion folders yet, nor perhaps a publisher, and I didn't inquire too closely on any testing progress. I hope there will be a King Billy vrs the Furry Gentleman card, plus Jenkins' Ear as well!"

And a response confirming it from Jason Matthews:

" (I am assuming both of the TS designers are behind this game. Am I correct?)

We are. Thanks for the free plug Randy. We are done with the game "design" but have some rather important details to complete -- the maps, and attaching card effects to our list of historical events. Jenkin's Ear is in, no "furry gentlemen" as yet."

This could be very cool. I am really, really pleased to hear Jason and Ananda, the designers, swerving back towards wargames and rivalry with their excellent political CDG system. This would be an immediate buy for me, I love politics and with the subject matter I believe I can trust them to make a game that's more wargamey than TS (certainly than 1960, ugh) but still a political game, which I love.

Would you guys buy into this? I see a lot of people wanting TS but quicker and more euroy. I couldn't disagree more strongly--I want the political engine of TS to be slightly more wargamey (still not moving units or anything, we have more than enough of those) and heavy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2008 22:18 #11369 by Dogmatix
People who want TwS but "quicker and more euro-y" have 1960:MOTP, which is *precisely* that [IMO, of course]. I think 1960 is a pretty good use of the TwS system for the Euro crowd--and why it was a perfect game for Z-man to pick up. It does a nice job of capturing the politics of that election without being a particularly complicated game.

I'd think this would have be closer to "Here I Stand-lite"--more focus on the political for sure, but I don't see how you can cover this topic without actual troops on the board in some fashion. The Cold War allowed them to get away with just a political card game because it was about influence--other people did the dying [for the most part] in the proxy wars.

And they say "Jenkins Ear" is in--that was an English/Spanish affair wasn't it? Think this will be "Here I Stand meets Wellington"? Or will they use that as one of those cards that simply saps English resources elsewhere on the map?

Curious...

[And my guess is GMT publishes this...}

More
15 Sep 2008 23:34 #11374 by Schweig!
Wow, this sounds interesting. I hope a France-Germany(Prussia) CDG will be next.

More
15 Sep 2008 23:58 #11377 by Gary Sax
I think something like this deserves a multiplayer CDG, personally, but what do I know. I've said before how much I'd like to see a mid-late 19th pre-WWI multiplayer CDG.

More
16 Sep 2008 00:13 #11381 by Count Orlok
Gary Sax wrote:

I think something like this deserves a multiplayer CDG, personally, but what do I know. I've said before how much I'd like to see a mid-late 19th pre-WWI multiplayer CDG.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27128

This one caught my eye awhile ago, although I haven't seen anything more about it recently. Might be what you're looking for.

More
16 Sep 2008 09:27 #11395 by dan daly
Yes, this does look interesting to me for a couple of reasons:

1. Twilight Struggle is awesome with a capital A, and easily one of my favorite games.

2. I've long been interested in game that covers the Seven Years war on a global scale (yes I know about Soldier King, but it doesn't look very good).

3. I'd love to play games like Here I Stand (epic, historical, politics, war), but I'm the hardcore, member of our game group, and I don't like reading through all the rules. There's no freaking way, the softcore gamers would ever commit to learning it or something equivalent. If the TS team can offer us something similar but at TS level complexity, or just a bit more complex, then I could get people to play that.

More
16 Sep 2008 09:31 #11396 by dan daly
On a semi-related note:

Now that the "hot new thing" buzz has died down, what do people think of Warrior's of God? It looked like something that could scratch a similar itch to Twilight Struggle. Just curious if people are playing and enjoying it, or if it sitting on the shelf.

More
16 Sep 2008 10:26 #11404 by JoelCFC25
dan daly wrote:

Now that the "hot new thing" buzz has died down, what do people think of Warrior's of God? It looked like something that could scratch a similar itch to Twilight Struggle. Just curious if people are playing and enjoying it, or if it sitting on the shelf.

I've been through the rules a couple times and think I'm ready to give it a shot. I keep meaning to break it out one of these nights, but we just bought a new house and there is a lot of stuff to do related to getting settled. Things just keep getting in the way.

More
16 Sep 2008 10:28 #11405 by JoelCFC25
And on topic, that CDG sounds mighty intriguing. I'm turning into a real sucker for that style of game.

Any chance of a link to the relevant CSW discussion to save me the pain of trying to find it over there? :S

More
16 Sep 2008 11:56 #11411 by Gary Sax
Not too much discussion, actually. That's all that has been said about it. It's in the Twilight Struggle game thread. (under boardgames, individual games, modern, then cold war)

More
16 Sep 2008 12:07 #11412 by TedTorgerson
Hi guys,

I am looking for anyone who can use ACTS to playtest a TS style game with me called "1989: Dawn of Freedom" about the democratic revolutions in Eastern Europe. It's a very simple and fun game if you know Twilight Struggle. Send me a PM or reply here and I will get you set up to play.

Thanks.

More
17 Sep 2008 01:06 #11463 by Dogmatix
TedTorgerson wrote:

Hi guys,

I am looking for anyone who can use ACTS to playtest a TS style game with me called "1989: Dawn of Freedom" about the democratic revolutions in Eastern Europe. It's a very simple and fun game if you know Twilight Struggle. Send me a PM or reply here and I will get you set up to play.

Thanks.

That sounds very cool Ted. I'm going to be out of town for the better part of the next 4 weeks, but I'll check in to see if you've still got slots open when I return.

More
17 Sep 2008 05:26 - 17 Sep 2008 05:27 #11470 by Matt Thrower
Sounds fantastic. Where do we pre-order?

Oh, and if anyone can get in touch with Jason & Ananda can you ask them to please, please turn their talents to making a multi-player CDG in the same mould?
Last edit: 17 Sep 2008 05:27 by Matt Thrower.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds