October 09, 2023
2719 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2879 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

just found my fav new song for the month

More
01 Oct 2008 10:44 #12176 by Stephen Avery

Its been going through my head every since I saw the the "Don't be an Asshole" on the reccomendations page.

Steve"Nuclear Fucking Weapons"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2008 10:51 - 01 Oct 2008 10:53 #12177 by Schweig!
Heh, I'm really making a fool out of myself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDZpFkasimc
Last edit: 01 Oct 2008 10:53 by Schweig!.

More
01 Oct 2008 11:12 #12179 by Mr. White

I've gotten tired of the repackaged band sound thing...too many bands over the past couple of years nicking Gang of Four, Joy Division, et.al. to very poor effect. Now it seems like everybody is trying to recapture the Jesus and Mary Chain/My Bloody Valentine sound.

Hmm...this is correct. I suppose that I'm not so upset about the repackaging because the bands I listen to are touring in broken down vans and doing it for love of the genre/scene/whatever. Keeping 'good' music alive.

Bands that are out there making a grip of cash off the sounds of Gang of Four, THAT is unsettling. It's like when the Ramones broke up. Here we where in the mid-90's with Green Day and others banking off of what the Ramones created, yet the Ramones got little more than critical nods.

Though it takes the mainstream a long time to catch on, long past the Gang of Four's heyday, it is disappointing to see someone else reap the rewards. Bands like the Aggrolites aren't getting rich off of the music of Derrick Morgan or Prince Buster. Nor are the American Werewolves buying mansions playing misfits style horror punk. A little bit different.

Bringing us back to TotR, I do give them props for 'making it' with a somewhat new take on some genres.

More
01 Oct 2008 12:22 #12197 by billyz
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! DE LA SOUL!!!!

I used to love their shit way back in highschool! Wow! That brought some memories back. All night Super Tecmo Bowl tourneys on the SNES! HAH! I haven't thought about those good times in ages... Thanks Schweig.

There's a few tunes seeing more than their fair share of play on my ipod these days.

Top 10 -- in no particular order

(this generally throws people for a loop:))

(ok,so I'm a fan)

More
01 Oct 2008 15:20 #12228 by Harkonnen13
TVOTR ain't bad, I liked their last album. I knew about their new one but haven't checked it out yet. Will do so soon.

More
02 Oct 2008 01:18 #12281 by Harkonnen13
billyz said keep this thread going so here's some more tunes.

San Diego favorites Deadbolt, The Scariest Band in the World. Cool songs about girls, voodoo, and killing hippies:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=85913317

Mastodon. Need I say more?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6075533

Om. I put a F:AT recommendation up for one of their albums

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=75523160

More
02 Oct 2008 09:35 #12293 by Michael Barnes
It always kind of freaks me out when I hear people talking about Mastodon...it's so weird to me that they're a world-class band now. I've seen and been around those guys for years here in Atlanta, most of them worked at this place called Junkman's Daughter and I've had them ring me up for T-shirts and stickers. The first time I saw them there was literally like 20 people watching them. They were opening for Eyehategod, and I hadn't heard Mastodon but knew their previous bands (Social Infestation, Four Hour Fogger). They were great, and strangely every time I've seen them since they've not been nearly as good as that first time. I guess they were hungry.

I actually had a chance to work on one of their videos once...I don't know why I turned that down.

Now they keep getting into fights...I think one of them just kicked King Khan's ass the other day.

They've got a new record coming out...I hope it's better than Blood Mountain, I really didn't care for it.

More
02 Oct 2008 09:44 - 02 Oct 2008 10:21 #12294 by Mr. White
Junkman's Daughter, that's that gaudy place down near little 5-points right?
A buddy of mine got a tattoo across the street from there, Sacred Heart I think it was called. I was going to get another one as well, but dude was a real @$$.

Man, we used to make the trip from Huntsville to Atlanta all the time in the 90's for bands. I really need to go back to the D*C next year for old time's sake. Living in Austin now, I definitely don't need to go to ATL for the shows.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2008 10:21 by Mr. White.

More
02 Oct 2008 10:20 #12296 by Michael Barnes
My god Jack, I bet we've been to some of the same shows...did you come see the Adicts here sometime in like 1994-1995?

More
02 Oct 2008 10:28 - 02 Oct 2008 10:38 #12297 by Mr. White
It's possible, but not the Adicts. I did see them and the Toy Dolls the one time I went to CBGBs. I'm not really that big of a fan of either, but how could I not see a show at CBGBs? Curious, why ask about that show in particular?

We went to Atlanta for a lot of oi and ska bands in the 90's. Business, Specials, Pietasters, etc. A lot of times at the Masquerade. Atlanta, Nashville, and Birmingham, that was our triangle.

Though I took a date to see Gene at a wedge shaped club right on the corner of little five points. Next to that pizza joint. Forget the names. (terrible date, btw)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2008 10:38 by Mr. White.

More
02 Oct 2008 10:57 #12298 by Michael Barnes
HA HA! I was at that Gene show, it was at The Point! I was at the Specials and the Business too- I think I've seen the Business every time they've come through town. Not at the Pietasters though.

I saw pretty much any Oi!, punk, or ska band worth seeing that came through town 1991-2000...and I can't tell you how many shows I've seen at the Masquerade. Undoubtedly, Jack Hooligan and I have crossed paths many times.

More
02 Oct 2008 13:54 - 02 Oct 2008 13:55 #12306 by moss_icon
Michael Barnes wrote:

I think one of them just kicked King Khan's ass the other day.

wtf?! was this on tv?

I saw pretty much any Oi!, punk, or ska band worth seeing that came through town 1991-2000

car vs driver?
Last edit: 02 Oct 2008 13:55 by moss_icon.

More
02 Oct 2008 13:58 #12307 by Michael Barnes
Car Vs. Driver! Good god man, what do you know about Car Vs. Driver? Now you're taking me back to the days of Quadaliacha, Habeus Corpses, Act of Faith...all those long departed Atlanta punk/hardcore bands...

More
02 Oct 2008 14:06 - 02 Oct 2008 14:07 #12309 by moss_icon
Michael Barnes wrote:

Car Vs. Driver! Good god man, what do you know about Car Vs. Driver? Now you're taking me back to the days of Quadaliacha, Habeus Corpses, Act of Faith...all those long departed Atlanta punk/hardcore bands...

haha, awesome. i am a bit of a nerd for that period of music. i did an interview with james joyce and matt mauldin for my webzine when they did their indie rock band (chocolate kiss), i don't think either of those interviews are still online though sadly. i can't think of too many other atlanta bands from that period though that i have listened to, i guess freemasonry, scout, hal al shedad... that's all i can come up with. you would probably enjoy james' blog if you feel nostalgic -- beyondfailure.blogspot.com

i order a shitload of music for my distro from gavin stickfigure, and he always carries atlanta stuff so i seem to end up distroing a couple of copies of random things on labels like rob's house / douchemaster...
Last edit: 02 Oct 2008 14:07 by moss_icon.

More
02 Oct 2008 14:27 #12312 by Michael Barnes
That's funny, I used to buy from Gavin back when he'd bring a couple of milkcrates of LPs to the punk shows. Long time ago...like 15 years?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds