October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2756 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What is your best game?

More
09 Jan 2009 13:52 #16378 by Space Ghost
--Apparently my third grade spelling is here with me too.

1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Not your favorite game, but the game where you consistently kick ass.

I would say Twilight Struggle and Magic.

2. And why are you so good at it?

The reason is the same for both -- I am just good at figuring out combinations of cards. This is amplified in Magic where deck-building is such a huge part of the game. Card interactions just make sense to me.

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often?

War of the Ring is my favorite game. I win a little more than half, but I don't get the chance to play it is as much as the other two.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2009 14:19 #16381 by Deleted User 1
1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Not your favorite game, but the game where you consistently kick ass.

Liar's Dice

I suppose it is because I have certain knack to to read people.

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often?

I am in teaching mode a lot and when you are in this mode your own strategy takes a backseat while you try to make sure others are following the rules.

More
09 Jan 2009 15:03 #16384 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:What is your best game?
1. 2 games jump to mind: Axis & Allies and Connect Four.

2. Why am I good? Well for Axis and Allies, if I'm the Axis I buy enough infantry (something most people don't do) and am patient enough for Japan to bring pressure in Russia. If I'm the Allies then it's all over pretty quick once I get the shuck shuck set up that I learned long ago from Don's A&A essays. Connect 4 is just something that I've played a lot of since being a kid so lots of practice and pretty good spatial skills.

Both of them are games I like a lot but I wouldn't pick either as my all-time favorite. I'm intrigued by the new Anniversary A&A and could see myself picking it up to breathe new life into the game.

Why don't I win my favorite game more often- well most of my favorites are multi-player conflict games: Samurai Swords, History of the World, Diplomacy, etc. Once you get the reputation as "they guy who always wins"- guess what- it's becomes very unlikely you'll win very often anymore because everyone sees you as the primary target. Not complaining though.

More
09 Jan 2009 15:06 #16386 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:What is your best game?
1. Some how I'm still ranked the #1 Caylus player in the world even though I've given up tournaments.

Rank Name From Last Total
1. Peter KingPut MD 07 67
2. Andrew Gerb MD 08 56
3. Sam Atabaki CA 08 52
4. Jeremy Spencer NC 06 40
5. Rich Meyer MA 08 30

2. I'll always be the trashiest Caylus player in the world. Most Europlayers are to scared to trash talk and use the provest to it's full potential.

3. Ti3. I don't win more because it's also Malloc's favorite game.

More
09 Jan 2009 16:03 #16396 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:What is your best game?
1. Torres

2. This is why: Games that Give Me a Headache

3. I always lose when I play the Buffy Boardgame, because when I'm the Buffy team, I can't bring myself to sacrifice Xander, and when I'm the evil team I can't sacrifice Spike.

More
09 Jan 2009 16:23 #16401 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:What is your best game?
MWChapel wrote:

Have yet to beat it as a non-cylon. Came really close!

That's because I was the cylon. ;)

More
09 Jan 2009 16:44 #16404 by DeletedUser
Similarly to Jeb and Boggle, in my house I am the Scrabble King (I also kick ass at Boggle).

Good command of the Queen's English and a photographic memory.

My favourite game is still Heroscape but shitty die rolls keep me human. I mean Deathwalker on high ground with partial cover (house rule) should not be taken out with one skull, but it's almost guaranteed if I'm playing him. #&*$

More
09 Jan 2009 17:08 #16410 by Michael Barnes
I probably should have said SCRABBLE. I'm pretty much the best SCRABBLE player that has ever been born.

More
09 Jan 2009 17:12 #16413 by Shellhead
Not that I doubt your word Barnes, but it seems like a lot of Scrabble players think that they are the best. And some of them are really obnoxious to play with, like a defeat in Scrabble indicates a drop in their IQ or something. I haven't played Scrabble in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that I'm still just an average player.

More
09 Jan 2009 17:32 #16416 by DeletedUser
Michael Barnes wrote:

I probably should have said SCRABBLE. I'm pretty much the best SCRABBLE player that has ever been born.

I can take you.

More
09 Jan 2009 17:41 #16417 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:What is your best game?
If you guys are on Facebook, we can settle this nonsense. For Boggle (Scramble in Facebook), I take all comers. I'm Jeb Adams in Agoura Hills. Three rounds, 4-letter minimum, 4x4 board or three rounds, 5-letter minimum, 5x5 board.

Scrabble/Lexulous is another matter. I lose to my Mom routinely. I did read Word Freak and watched Word Wars though--WATERZOOI jokes are not lost on me.

More
09 Jan 2009 18:40 #16422 by TheDukester
1. Any version of Scene-It;

2. My pop culture mojo is too strong for mere mortals;

3. Favorite game is Cosmic Encounter; I'm fairly strong there, too. But not practically undefeated like for Scene-It.

(fun thread ... have some GeekGold!)

More
09 Jan 2009 18:48 #16424 by DeletedUser
jeb wrote:

If you guys are on Facebook, we can settle this nonsense. For Boggle (Scramble in Facebook), I take all comers. I'm Jeb Adams in Agoura Hills. Three rounds, 4-letter minimum, 4x4 board or three rounds, 5-letter minimum, 5x5 board.

Scrabble/Lexulous is another matter. I lose to my Mom routinely. I did read Word Freak and watched Word Wars though--WATERZOOI jokes are not lost on me.

I'll take a look at Boggle on Facebook. Sounds fun.
Not sure about Scrabble online - nothing to stop people playing with a dictionary at their side.

We would have to reconcile the timezone difference for any real time games as well - I'm quite a few hours ahead of most of you.

More
09 Jan 2009 22:37 #16433 by metalface13

Battle Line/Schotten Totten

I dunno, I guess I just count the cards, judge what type of formation my opponent is going for and either wait to play on that space when I have a formation that can beat it or I allocate my cards to another area. I almost always win. But then I think I've only played it with my brother and my wife so it's not like I'm world champ or anything.

I usually play the overlord when we play Descent and I don't always have it in me to completely crush the heroes. And when the heroes win, I don't really feel like I lost. Just the satisfaction similar to GMing a RPG I guess.

More
10 Jan 2009 11:06 #16471 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re:What is your best game?
I was just saying to someone how I'm glad that I don't care about winning games, because then I wouldn't enjoy playing them very much. :P

Pandemic is one of my favorite games of all time, and I seem to win at that, even on the Heroic level, more than a lot of people, though it's still probably only in the 30-40% range. I also had a 40% win percentage for Tikal when I was playing that a lot online about a year ago, and that seems rather high compared to any other games I play.

For Pandemic, just experience, probably, and a feeling for when to use those Special Event cards to their maximum effect and how to interact with the player roles... I also credit my wife (who beats me regularly... at games), for helping with that, because we often play Pandemic together (with each other and with others). For Tikal, I don't really know... something seemed to click intuitively about how to play that effectively. It's been too long to really remember much about that, though I should play it again sometime.

It's not my favorite game (I still like Pandemic better overall), but my current favorite game is Ghost Stories and I'm not winning that more often because it's friggin' HARD! I did just win twice in a row on the Initiation level, so I guess I should go back up to Normal, but the last few times I had tried Normal I lost badly, so I sent myself back to the minors for a while...

I've also been into 1960 lately and still haven't won that out of about 5-6 games, and though I seemed to have a good winning percentage at Dominion for a while, I've won maybe once or twice out of the last 15-20 games of that I've played, so I don't know what happened there... I think I'm starting not to care too much for that game anymore. :blink:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds