October 09, 2023
2563 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2764 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Help needed ordering at GMT games - No credit card

More
12 Jan 2009 15:21 - 12 Jan 2009 15:39 #16791 by Schweig!
I'm interested in two of the games GMT has up for sale, namely ALESIA and UNDER THE LILY BANNERS. However, I can't order directly from their site since I don't have a credit card. Still, I have a PayPal account, so I wanted ask whether someone of you would kindly help me get these games by ordering them for me. I would transfer the money in advance of course, and pay for the PayPal fees (roughly 4% for receiving internationally sent money).

I don't know if GMT ships to an address other than the billing address, but even if they don't two GMT games in their standard format should fit in a USPS flat rate box and therefore I could also afford the games being sent twice, first to an address in the USA and then to me. (I live in Germany.)

Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 15:39 by Schweig!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 15:25 #16794 by jur
I'd be happy to help out. But it might be cheaper overall to have it delivered to the US and then sent by mail to Europe.

You might want to check what is more advantageous to you. I'll look at the GMT site if there's anything I'd like to order, just in case ;-)

More
12 Jan 2009 17:14 #16817 by hancock.tom
I'd be happy to help too. Just figure out which is easier, shipping straight from GMT to Germany, or shipping to my house then on to germany. zip 25314.

More
12 Jan 2009 23:59 #16857 by Lagduf
Can you not get a Debit/Checking Card from your bank that is backed by Mastercard/Visa?

I buy online with my Debit card. It basically functions as a credit card online except when charged the funds are drawn directly from my account.

Or is banking in the fatherland crazy?

More
13 Jan 2009 01:36 #16858 by Gary Sax
IIRC Schweig is philosophically opposed to credit cards? Or is that someone else...

More
13 Jan 2009 02:21 #16860 by Lagduf
But, but, but a debit card?

Linked to your checking account.

Granted if stolen you run the risk of being wiped out, but uh don't keep tens of thousands of dollars in banking? Plus your card issuer typically has some kind of theft insurance/policies.

More
13 Jan 2009 09:55 #16870 by hancock.tom
I can't believe GMT doesn't take paypal OR that paypal doesn't have a thing that looks, quacks, and walks like a credit card.

More
15 Jan 2009 06:24 - 15 Jan 2009 06:29 #17085 by Schweig!
hancock.tom wrote:

I'd be happy to help too. Just figure out which is easier, shipping straight from GMT to Germany, or shipping to my house then on to germany. zip 25314.

Thanks, Tom. Due to the downtime I didn't read your message until now. I'll look into shipping costs now and will contact you by PM then.

Gary Sax wrote:

IIRC Schweig is philosophically opposed to credit cards? Or is that someone else...

No, that's not me. In Germany the banks don't hand out credit cards to 23 year old students.

Lagduf wrote:

Can you not get a Debit/Checking Card from your bank that is backed by Mastercard/Visa?

Debit cards exist over here, but I guess they work differently. Even if they don't, they cost fees. Since I'm handling only small amounts of money in my daily life, I'm better off just paying in cash.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2009 06:29 by Schweig!.

More
15 Jan 2009 07:16 #17086 by sydo
They won't give you a credit card because you are a student? That was the time when I got my card (last year), you should move to Czech Republic, you have already adopted our national hero as your alter ego so you would just confirm it ;) Than I would finally have someone to play ASL with :woohoo:

More
15 Jan 2009 12:52 #17121 by Schweig!
Yes, there are certain offers to supply students with credit card, but IIRC neither of these are from Visa or Mastercard, but instead some other bank.

As far as the Czech Republic goes I really think it's a pretty cool country. I'm sorry that some stupid Germans ruined your sunrise democracy. I'd like to visit Prague some day.

More
15 Jan 2009 13:32 #17122 by Thaadd
Paypal is pretty wonky from a company's end - they can hold funds for weird amounts of times, have fees, and there is a history of fraud. It's great for person to person transfers, and I use it personally online when I can... but I completely understand why any company would not want to use it. Far easier to just do the major creditcards.

More
16 Jan 2009 00:47 #17223 by sydo
Schweig! wrote:

Yes, there are certain offers to supply students with credit card, but IIRC neither of these are from Visa or Mastercard, but instead some other bank.

As far as the Czech Republic goes I really think it's a pretty cool country. I'm sorry that some stupid Germans ruined your sunrise democracy. I'd like to visit Prague some day.

Hey, you don't have to be sorry, the commies did the job a lot better! And still, you don't have to be sorry for something that happened more then 60 years ago. If you ever happen to be in Prague I can show you the best best bars with the best pilsen beer on earth ;)

More
17 Jan 2009 14:28 #17359 by Dogmatix
Simon. Check out www.wargamedepot.com for those games. Jason sells them at a discount on GMT's *sale prices* and takes paypal. I don't know about overseas shipping, but I presume he will do so...

More
22 Jan 2009 14:07 #17923 by Schweig!
Thanks for the hint Justin. I ordered at wargamedepot.com. I have to point out though, that the store owner (Jason) doesn't advertise doing so and only accepts PayPal under special circumstances. (I am one ;-)

More
23 Jan 2009 23:10 #18206 by Dogmatix
Schweig! wrote:

Thanks for the hint Justin. I ordered at wargamedepot.com. I have to point out though, that the store owner (Jason) doesn't advertise doing so and only accepts PayPal under special circumstances. (I am one ;-)

Wargamedepot is one of my favorite shops and Jason has always done right by me, so I'm glad to hear he could help. [My apologies that paypal wasn't the "standard" option I thought it was; it may be www.gamersarmory.com that takes paypal; they have a much smaller selection of wargames in general but the best collection of ASL stuff on the web as far as I can tell]

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds