October 09, 2023
2563 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2764 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Does your Gaming Ego Allow Simple Games???

More
27 Jan 2009 08:56 - 27 Jan 2009 08:57 #18539 by Notahandle
Southernman wrote:
"Ahhhh ... I've just sold mine this month to a lad in the mid-West somewhere. I miss it."
If you're selling quality games please TM me a list!
Last edit: 27 Jan 2009 08:57 by Notahandle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2009 14:02 #18585 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

[...] It does come down, really, to who you play with. I played CA$H AND GUN$ once with Eurogamers and I wanted to put the gun in my mouth after watching these fucking Eurogamers point at each other sheepishly and giggle. "What now?" one of them asked. Then the avalanche of "is this really a game"/"there's no game here"/"this is an activity, not a game" comments started pouring out. I played THE GOTHIC GAME once with a similar crowd and that's a sure bet for some ridiculous behavior, hysterical hijinks, and ruthless gameplay. They'd roll the die, move, and then wonder why all they were doing was drawing cards. Two simple games wrecked by people looking for something completely different than I do when I sit down to play a game.

But I'll literally play anything with Rob Martin, Steve Avery, Frank Branham, Dan Baden, Billy Motion, Will Kenyon, the Bradford Boys, Psuedointellectual and his family...because they're awesome people and we'll have fun playing anything. [...]

I have to agree with this. With my friends I can play anything. We even had some fun playing fucking KELTIS.

We had a blast playing THE REALLY NASTY HORSE RACING GAME. One of my friends (not much of a board gamer) even wanted to play it again on New Year's Eve, where the usual plan was to party and get drunk. Of course I didn't have any board games with me.

Then with great anticipation I brought the game to game group, which is putting up a great struggle getting converted to AT fans. Two players liked it very much, one was "mildly amused" and another one - the great Euro fan - constantly complained how dumb the game was and how long it took, when he himself idled during his turn and even went to complain to other game group visitors. Needless to say, of course he won in the end, because he was the only one who didn't bet all (or most of his) money on the final race. Never again ...

More
27 Jan 2009 15:34 #18603 by mikoyan
One of my favorite games is Naval War. It's simple but it does get the point across and let you sink some of them nasty German battleships. A close second for me is Modern Naval Battles which is still pretty simple (as long as you don't have all the expansions). Then of course, there's the granddaddy - Nuclear War.

More
27 Jan 2009 15:47 #18606 by jur
Naval Battles (the WWII version) is pretty good as well. Feels like it could use a campaign system though. And convoys. And...

you see what I mean? A game that leaves you wanting more

More
27 Jan 2009 17:06 #18622 by mikoyan
Jur wrote:

Naval Battles (the WWII version) is pretty good as well. Feels like it could use a campaign system though. And convoys. And...

Naval Battles is okay but the icons on the cards are kind of annoying.

More
27 Jan 2009 17:30 #18627 by jur
mikoyan wrote:

Jur wrote:

is that the old version (GDW?) or the new one from Phalanx?

More
27 Jan 2009 18:19 #18641 by mikoyan
Jur wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

Jur wrote:

is that the old version (GDW?) or the new one from Phalanx?

Isn't the GDW version the Modern Naval Battles one?

I'm talking about Phalanx. It was an okay game. Updating of Naval War but the icons kind of mess things up.

More
27 Jan 2009 20:06 #18657 by ubarose
I love games with easy to remember rules and intuitive game play. Games that you can just pull off the shelf and play. I have far too many games that never get played because we can't remember the rules and are too lazy to re-read them.

More
28 Jan 2009 14:43 #18721 by Dogmatix
I play Ogre. [As well as any number of other Metagaming and SJG pocket games]. It takes 10 minutes to teach and has fewer [and more clearly written] rules than Carcassonne. AND it has a CRT. And Really Big Tanks. That think. On their own. And hate you very much.

Greatest. Game. Ever.

GEV quadruples the rule-load but still doesn't take more than 15 minutes to teach [maybe 5 minutes if you reduce terrain and the various hardware to a cheat-sheet for folks.]

More
28 Jan 2009 15:05 #18726 by Deleted User 1

I play Ogre. [As well as any number of other Metagaming and SJG pocket games]. It takes 10 minutes to teach and has fewer [and more clearly written] rules than Carcassonne. AND it has a CRT. And Really Big Tanks. That think. On their own. And hate you very much.

Greatest. Game. Ever.

I love Orge. How many times have defeated the Ogre?

More
28 Jan 2009 16:27 #18733 by Michael Barnes
We don't talk about OGRE enough around here. That game is a masterpiece. G.E.V. is pretty awesome too. I have the old "Video cassette box" version but I heard there was an update forthcoming...anybody know anything?

More
28 Jan 2009 16:39 #18735 by TheDukester
On hold, Michael - one of the more disappointing announcements I've read recently. I really like SJ Games (I've even interviewed for jobs there), but I sometimes get discouraged by what seems to be an "all Munchkin, all the time" policy.

Here's some information:

forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=37585&page=2

(read the final post)

More
28 Jan 2009 17:03 #18737 by Michael Barnes
Hmm...maybe we need to mount a campaign...

More
28 Jan 2009 17:07 #18738 by hancock.tom
I had a lot of fun playing OGRE back in the day, but I always used other people's stuff. 6th Edition would get a buy from me instantly if it has the production values Steve Jackson is claiming it will have.

More
28 Jan 2009 17:26 #18743 by Michael Barnes
That may be the problem, that he's wanting to do too much with it. I don't care if it's just a straight reprint with punchboard counters and a paper map. That being said, I'd love to see it on par with a FFG game. I can't help but wonder if this is either a situation where SJ's personal expecations are getting in the way of the game or if they're not looking at the right ways to go about producing it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds