October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Real World Skills Sharpened by Gaming

More
09 Feb 2009 13:56 #20595 by Deleted User 1

I recently uncovered a nefarious plot in my non gaming world which I can hopefully share once justice has been served. But it got me to thinking that maybe my extensive gaming helped uncover the "games" others play.

I believe playing a game like "Sleuth" does help sharpen your deductive skills. Playing "Liar's Dice" and Poker certainly helps your bluffing skills.

Games like "Intrige" and "I'm the Boss" do help sharpen negotiation skills.

What degree do these games help sharpen these skills? That is certainly open to debate but I do think the gamer has the advantage in the game of life!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:10 #20597 by Octavian
I hate to say it...really really loathe to do so, actually...but I think you are ri....*cough*...rr-r-rrrr...*ahem*...I think you are right, Steve.

There was a point where I entertained doing my dissertation on this topic. Games offer a way to sharpen skills. More than that, one of the reasons people enjoy games is that it offers a safe way to test skills - that is to say a way to test them with low stakes. It is the same way that lion cubs rough-house with one another as a safe way to practice fighting skills.

There has already been cognitive neuro-psychology research showing that playing games (in this case video games but it can easily be generalized to board games) triggers the area of the brain associated with accomplishment. In other words, it is wired to be rewarding in the exact same way that accomplishing something in the real world is rewarding.

Now, what skills different games are honing and how applicable they are to one's other behaviors in his life is an entirely other kettle of fish. But I entirely agree with your central point.

-MMM

More
09 Feb 2009 14:18 #20602 by Deleted User 1

More than that, one of the reasons people enjoy games is that it offers a safe way to test skills - that is to say a way to test them with low stakes. It is the same way that lion cubs rough-house with one another as a safe way to practice fighting skills.

I can buy this statement as well. I would bet that after a rousing game of "I'm the Boss" you would be in better shape to ask the boss for a raise the next day.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:20 #20605 by jeb
Octavian wrote:

I hate to say it...really really loathe to do so, actually...but I think you are ri....*cough*...rr-r-rrrr...*ahem*...I think you are right, Steve.

There was a point where I entertained doing my dissertation on this topic. Games offer a way to sharpen skills. More than that, one of the reasons people enjoy games is that it offers a safe way to test skills - that is to say a way to test them with low stakes. It is the same way that lion cubs rough-house with one another as a safe way to practice fighting skills.

There has already been cognitive neuro-psychology research showing that playing games (in this case video games but it can easily be generalized to board games) triggers the area of the brain associated with accomplishment. In other words, it is wired to be rewarding in the exact same way that accomplishing something in the real world is rewarding.

Now, what skills different games are honing and how applicable they are to one's other behaviors in his life is an entirely other kettle of fish. But I entirely agree with your central point.

ZZzzzZ ZZzz *snort* hm I wanna ride the pony...zz.zzzzzZzz

More
09 Feb 2009 14:28 #20607 by Schweig!
Playing war games helped me understand complex manuals.

More
09 Feb 2009 23:20 #20661 by Sagrilarus
A big part of my job is risk management and forging relationships between people.

I absolutely positively unreservedly assure you that my job skills have been aided by playing games.

Sag.

More
10 Feb 2009 05:46 #20675 by BradHB
"Fury of Dracula" has taught me how to hide from four people at once.

More
10 Feb 2009 11:51 #20699 by dan daly
GEOGRAPHY

Also reducing fractions (to figure odds on a CRT)

More
10 Feb 2009 13:22 - 10 Feb 2009 13:23 #20703 by southernman
I lie much better now.

I can spot a toaster in a room much faster.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 13:23 by southernman.

More
10 Feb 2009 13:59 #20708 by dysjunct
I swear much more entertainingly, and with much more gusto.

More
10 Feb 2009 14:03 #20710 by ChristopherMD
I'm much better at wasting money on stuff I don't need. I've reached near the women buying shoes level of this skill.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds