October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2788 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Pimp that Game

More
25 Feb 2009 23:36 #22304 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Pimp that Game
My games pimp me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:00 #22325 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Pimp that Game
Aarontu wrote:

I've fixed the underground lake tile and the haunt books in BAHOTH, but I wouldn't say that I pimped the game out.

The underground lake is fine. The card artwork depicts a two-story drop down to the surface of the lake, so it makes sense that the entrance to the room is on the second floor of the house.

Regarding your other comments, I often slightly pimp my games for larger play groups. If it's a six-player game, maybe I pimp it out for 8 players. We have so many Jyhad and Vampire larp guys in town that I pimped out Prince of the City so that up to 10 players can play, though we still haven't gotten around to such a big game.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:26 #22332 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Pimp that Game
Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

I've fixed the underground lake tile and the haunt books in BAHOTH, but I wouldn't say that I pimped the game out.

The underground lake is fine. The card artwork depicts a two-story drop down to the surface of the lake, so it makes sense that the entrance to the room is on the second floor of the house.

I've heard this argument before, but I don't buy it. (for a few reasons)
The lower levels depicted are underwater. The tile has the distinct look of basement rooms (cobwebs in the corners, stone walls and floor). Plus, there's one haunt that uses the underground lake, but is messed up if it isn't in the basement. The FAQ on the Hasbro/WotC site for the game admits that the tile is a misprint and they tell you to stick it in the basement and fall into it when you discover it.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:38 #22335 by Shellhead
Aarontu wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

The lower levels depicted are underwater. The tile has the distinct look of basement rooms (cobwebs in the corners, stone walls and floor). Plus, there's one haunt that uses the underground lake, but is messed up if it isn't in the basement. The FAQ on the Hasbro/WotC site for the game admits that the tile is a misprint and they tell you to stick it in the basement and fall into it when you discover it.

Here's a link to the tile in question:

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/213443

I admit that you've got a good point about the stone walls, floor and cobwebs. However, you can also see that the entrances to the room are two levels above the water, because there are remnants of a destroyed floor in between the level with the doors and the lake surface.

If there is a haunt that uses the underground lake and is messed up if the lake isn't in the basement, then I concede that I'm wrong. Which haunt is it? I've played about two dozen games so far, but we've had some repeats, so I haven't played this underground lake haunt.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:55 #22336 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Pimp that Game
Oh noooo, the underground lake argument has made it to F:AT.

I remember seeing pics of that Black Morn Manor set years ago. That was awesome.

I pimped my Escape from Atlantis set by gluing weights to the figures, because they were horribly off-balance. Then I gave them points (this edition doesn't have 'em), and I thought it would be neat if the women tend to be worth more.

More
26 Feb 2009 11:00 #22337 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Pimp that Game
Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

Here's a link to the tile in question:

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/213443

I admit that you've got a good point about the stone walls, floor and cobwebs. However, you can also see that the entrances to the room are two levels above the water, because there are remnants of a destroyed floor in between the level with the doors and the lake surface.

If there is a haunt that uses the underground lake and is messed up if the lake isn't in the basement, then I concede that I'm wrong. Which haunt is it? I've played about two dozen games so far, but we've had some repeats, so I haven't played this underground lake haunt.

I always assumed that it was intended as a second floor tile that makes you fall through to the basement, but then they realized that you really need two tiles to do this, but never redesigned it properly. There is a first floor tile that does something similar, but I can't remember how it works. I think the tile with the broken floor remains on the first floor, but you pull a random basement tile to fall through to - or something like that.

I've been considering making the underground lake work sort of the same way. I want to copy the tile without the broken floor showing. Then the second floor tile would remain on the second floor, but the copied lake tile would be placed in in the basement. On the second floor, to pass through the room, you'd have to make a saving roll like you do with the first floor tile that breaks through to the basement.

Also, the underground lake haunt SUCKS!

More
26 Feb 2009 11:11 #22338 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re:Pimp that Game
About all I've done is get some petrie dishes for the cubes in Pandemic. And some tuckboxes for that and a few other games. Well, and the baggies... lots of baggies.

More
26 Feb 2009 11:11 #22339 by Shellhead
I pimped another Steve Jackson game pretty hard. Kung Fu 2100 is still the best boardgame that I've seen with a martial arts theme. The combat system is kind of unique... sissor/paper/rock with chits, except that each combination of attack versus defense dovetails into the next, allowing clever tactical players to set up some bluffs and some vicious combos. This nicely captures the flow of a battle between skilled martial artists.

Over time, those chits take a beating, to the point where they are no longer a secret to the discerning player. And since they are also used to represent hit points, I thought that they should be replaced with a better component. So I re-made them into cards, and used two different color sleeves, red for the good guys and black for the bad guys, just like the color scheme of the chits. Then I took it a step farther and identified each card by the character that would use it, so that there could be no possible confusion about which minion took how much damage and lost which abilities as a result.

More
26 Feb 2009 12:03 #22340 by Shellhead
Steve,

I uploaded a 16 MB excel spreadsheet to Rapidshare, containing all 105 characters for my version of Strange Synergy. I didn't find the box cover file, though, but you can make your own using the file at MileHighComics.

The characters:

rapidshare.com/files/202847184/synergy02.xls

Justice Machine/Elementals #2:

image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/...ze/45100915334.2.GIF

More
01 Mar 2009 16:42 #22578 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Pimp that Game
Heya Thanks Shellhead. I ust got back fro ma 3 day gaming bender and am going to check that out aasap. I'm also catching up on my reading on the Fort. Kung Fu 2100 sounds kinda cool. I'll have to look into that.

Steve"So tired I could fall over"Avery

More
05 Mar 2009 20:34 #23152 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Pimp that Game
Heya Shellhead. Those supers were very cool. I've decided to go 3D thoiugh since i have some Hirst molds. Did you ever find the files for the card art? I'm almost done pimping my set and will post pix shortly.

Steve"StrangeSynergy"Avery

More
06 Mar 2009 09:45 #23180 by Shellhead
Steve,

That one file is all that I could find. The first tab of the spreadsheet is the card-sized, hit-point sheets, which you can just print out on regular paper and then sleeve them with cards. The second tab of the spreadsheet is the cardboard hero-sized versions, to be printed on whole sheet label paper, stuck to sheets of thin cardboard or heavy cardstock, then mounted in the stands supplied with the game.

More
09 Mar 2009 16:33 #23358 by Shellhead
I have an insane list of things to do involving pimping games, creating new content for games, or even just downloading and assembling print 'n play games:

1. Finish formatting cards for a new base set for my favorite CCG, one that's still in print. My co-designer and I may even get paid for it. Otherwise, we are making sure that this will be the most kickass fan expansion ever.

2. Add two new factions to one of my favorite games, The Hills Rise Wild, plus extra map sections to create bigger layout.

3. Create a new Dreamlands base set for Arkham Horror using Strange Eons.

4. Design a new Create-A-Clan deck for Jyhad, based on Moorcock's Eternal Champions.

5. Create an epic Vampire boardgame for New World of Darkness, using just the components for Prince of the City and Vampire: Dark Influences.

6. Buy an extra copy of A Game of Thrones and then create the 9-player version.

7. Learn to paint miniatures just so I can paint my Fury of Dracula figures.

8. Re-write the Divine Rules for greater clarity.

9. Assemble another print 'n play copy of Miskatonic Madness. I gave my previous one away as a door prize for one of my early AmeriTrash events.

10. Assemble a print 'n play copy of Dawn of the Dead.

11. Re-design the card layouts for Fatal Frame for reduced toner use and greater legibility.

12. Make better tokens for Betrayal at House on the Hill.

13. Download the newer print 'n play tokens for Wiz-War and assemble those.

14. Download a print 'n play version of the classic Dune game, one that includes the two newer factions.

15. Re-design my existing Create-A-Clan decks for Jyhad for more consistent fonts and layouts.

16. Design my homebrew Amber boardgame.

17. Learn the rules to Magic Realm and then decide if it's worth assembling a print 'n play copy that I downloaded recently.

This is a huge amount of projects, but it keeps me out of trouble. I never have time for boredom anymore.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds