October 09, 2023
2543 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Do you get enough gaming?

More
26 Feb 2009 04:28 #22307 by kookoobah
I get the feeling that I'm not getting enough gaming. I want to, but it's a mixture of not having enough to play with and sometimes not having enough time to actually sit down and play. Or both.

I get to play maybe once a week, sometimes only once every other week, if I'm lucky.

Which is why I'm gravitating towards 2 player games or even solitaire games (goddamnit, where is my Arkham Horror). It's easier to get 2 players to sit down for a good meaty game than to organize a game group.

I spend more time on forums, reading about games. Not because I want to, but because it's all I can do to try and fill the hunger.

Mmm.. I might some WotR action tomorrow. I hope so. And then maybe Settlers and Ticket to Ride on Saturday with friends who have never played before. Need to convert more people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2009 04:39 #22308 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:Do you get enough gaming?
We were pushing those colored nipples in Cosmic Encounter around the whole evening yesterday and I would still play more. We will hopefully try Warrior Knights today.

More
26 Feb 2009 05:05 #22309 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:Do you get enough gaming?
No, I don't get e-fucking-nough. Tonight is my first gaming session since the end of January.

More
26 Feb 2009 05:15 #22310 by kookoobah
Sucks to be you Brad.

I love Cosmic Encounter. My gateway game of choice after Settlers. And Ticket to Ride.

More
26 Feb 2009 05:29 #22311 by Schweig!
Yeah, I get enough gaming. Although I'd like to play a few particular games more often.

More
26 Feb 2009 06:09 #22314 by southernman
Not me - severe lack of AT-inclined gamers in our town.
I go to a small club one night a week but they are mainly minis and the numbers have dropped right off recently, there is only one other dedicated boardgamer so we have to hope there are guys not doing minis or rpgs (most of the time there will be at least one) to join in so that will determine the game. This week I pulled in 5 stragglers so had 2 games of BSG, but earlier in the month had to go home early becasue not even the other boardie had arrived.
There used to be other sessions on ad hoc monthly or fortnightly (2 weekly) schedules but the few people who organised these have had work and personal life committments over the last year which has stopped those dead.

More
26 Feb 2009 06:27 #22316 by Matt Thrower
I certainly don't get to game enough.

However I was suprised discover a couple of years back that I can actually have too much gaming. I had previously believed that within the boundary of a "normal" life (i.e. spending time at work, with friends and family, doing DIY and household chores etc) it was impossible to fit in enough gaming to tip it into the "no more, thanks" category. But I actually managed it over the course of a couple of weeks which included a weekend Warhammer tournament, a visit by my Scrabble-obsessed Mum and a night out with my usual cronies who love to follow up a night in the pub by gaming until the sun rises. That was too much, and I seriously didn't touch a game for about a month.

More
26 Feb 2009 06:35 #22317 by southernman
MattDP wrote:

I certainly don't get to game enough.

However I was suprised discover a couple of years back that I can actually have too much gaming. I had previously believed that within the boundary of a "normal" life (i.e. spending time at work, with friends and family, doing DIY and household chores etc) it was impossible to fit in enough gaming to tip it into the "no more, thanks" category. But I actually managed it over the course of a couple of weeks which included a weekend Warhammer tournament, a visit by my Scrabble-obsessed Mum and a night out with my usual cronies who love to follow up a night in the pub by gaming until the sun rises. That was too much, and I seriously didn't touch a game for about a month.

Lightweight ! ;-)

More
26 Feb 2009 08:46 #22320 by moss_icon
i get in 1 or 2 wargames face to face a week with the option of going to euro gaming club if i am getting desperate. pretty happy with that.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:06 #22328 by ChristopherMD
I don't game as much as I used to. Not from lack of opportunities as there's a lot of gamers in my area. Mainly because I like to play AT games with 1-2 specific friends who enjoy them as much as I do so gaming revolves around our schedules. This is why most of the AT games I purchase are good as 2-3 player games. Anything that needs 4 or more is unlikely to get played enough to be worth owning. With a few exceptions like Cosmic Encounter that I have specifically for anytime I end up with more players than usual.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:29 #22333 by NeonPeon
Nope, I need much more game time.

I try to round up a game group about monthly, but I skipped this month because I'm preparing for a move. I have way too many underplayed games, such as FFG's Cosmic Encounter which we've only played a few times.

More
26 Feb 2009 10:33 #22334 by Shellhead
I get plenty of gaming, but I wish that I could do more group boardgames and less of the other stuff. I play Jyhad at least twice a month, for 6-12 hours total. I run a bi-weekly Call of Cthulhu campaign, for 12 hours total. I just joined a bi-weekly Serenity campaign (which causes us to miss Dollhouse, heh), for 10 hours a month, and a close friend plays 2-player games with me on alternating Sundays, for maybe 8 hours a month. Wow, I'm already spending an average of nearly 40 hours a month playing games. I try to round up a day of AmeriTrash games once a month, but it's suddenly obvious why that hasn't happened since December.

More
26 Feb 2009 13:19 #22347 by timeLESS
I ONLY play friends. That happens every week during weekends. Group size varies from just 2 up to 6. Sometimes we plan a more "open" game night, inviting all our non gaming buddies to get drunk and play party games together until late next morning. Group size varies then from 6 up to 20. Good times to be had.

Then i probably play some unscheduled games a week with another friend sometime during the week.

Now i'd just want some roleplaying thrown in there...

More
26 Feb 2009 13:22 #22348 by sharpworm
Never. I have a good group, but they're all involved in dull stuff like marriages and child-rearing, which isn't as dirty as it sounds. The local game night at my store is fun sometimes, but every time I go lately it's either Stone Age or Hero Clix, and I'm not interested in either.

More
26 Feb 2009 13:39 #22351 by Shellhead
I need to do less role-playing games. They are time-consuming and yet often lacking in entertainment value. Maybe unreliably entertaining is a better way to put it. Like my latest session of Call of Cthulhu. Things started okay, and then wham-bam, the two funniest and most exciting events of the whole session happened within the first 20 minutes. After that, there was a lot of discussion and some impulsive, ill-considered actions, but nothing especially entertaining.

By contrast, board games are fairly reliable source of fun. If you are familiar with the games at hand, and you don't have any of the Gaming Night Rogues present, you can generally pick a game that will go over well with your current table of players, and the game should deliver a reasonably predictable amount of fun. There are exceptions, of course. Betrayal at House on the Hill is an especially unreliable game, with more than a few weak scenarios, plus many scenarios that are only good within a certain range of balance in the condition of the characters and the layout of the house at the time of the betrayal.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds