October 09, 2023
2593 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2787 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What is the correct term for these types of games?

More
31 Mar 2009 19:50 #24892 by mjl1783
Eh, skirmish could describe Heroscape and Duel of Ages, too. Like you said, you don't want any overlap in the terms.

Basically, they are dungeon crawls, nothing else really sums them up as well. If the narrow corridors are what you're driving at, you could call them "claustrophobic combat games." I think that has sort of a nice ring to it.

Or, how about "knife fight in phone booth games"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2009 19:55 #24893 by moofrank
As to comments on TSR:

Dragonstrike has a pair of decent-sized flaws: All attacks do 1 point of damage. Combats can get tedious, especially when you have a 20% chance to hit some monsters.
Combine this with the short turn duration, and the game gets annoying.

The best TSR D&D-lite experience was the Fast-Play system. This is a slightly stripped AD&D. Mostly the character generation rules are neutered, and the end result feels like a slightly lighter version of the old Basic sets.

The games comes with a few adventures on poster-sized maps. The adventures are GREAT. A nice mix of combat, intrigue, light puzzles and atmosphere.

The best part is the Audio CD's. Incredibly cheesy, but they really tie the package together. Keyed to the rooms, monsters, and results. There are actually about a half dozen TSR products that came with audio CD's. Most are listed under the World of Mystara, and most are compatible with the Fast-Play system.

More
31 Mar 2009 20:10 #24894 by ubarose
mjl1783 wrote:

Eh, skirmish could describe Heroscape and Duel of Ages, too.

Yes! Exactly. That is what I like about both of them, particularly the Heroscape Marval set, because you have small teams on a small tight board. Duel of Ages has a bunch of other lame crap that I don't like.

mjl1783 wrote:

Heroquest, however, is definitely a Dungeon Crawl. Practically, the very definition.

Yes it is. I think maybe all Dungeon crawls have man-to-man skirmishes, which is probably what attracts me to them. But not all man-to-man skirmish games are dungeon crawls.

More
31 Mar 2009 20:23 #24895 by Jason Lutes
"Tactical close quarters combat?" "Tactical melee?" The "turn-based" part is a little redundant when we're talking about boardgames -- I think it's a carryover from computer game terminology.

More
31 Mar 2009 20:43 #24898 by metalface13
I still like dude games ...

Is Mordheim as awesome as Necromunda?

More
31 Mar 2009 22:18 #24902 by Shellhead
ubarose wrote:

Man-to-man tactical corridor skirmish! That just sounds so cool.

I like man-to-man tactical corridor skirmish games, especially ones with squads, variable player powers and no shopping. How about you?

Totally sounds like I know what I am talking about, doesn't it?

I love the new terminology. It sounds very military.

And you should take a serious look at The Hills Rise Wild, based on your posts in this thread. The map is a little more open than what you're talking about, but it otherwise covers your checklist nicely.

More
31 Mar 2009 22:46 #24905 by Ken B.
I definitely call stuff like Epic Duels and Star Wars Miniatures "skirmish games". But they don't feel like Dungeon Crawls at all and probably only share movement and LOS.

I guess that's the distinction. Dungeon Crawls are typically Skirmish Games With A Purpose. Not to kill all other dudes necessarily, but to reach point A and retrieve an item, or kill Boss Dude B.

That would make Dungeon Crawls "Objective-based Skirmish Games" and the other games you're describing "Free-form Skirmish Games."

We getting closer?

More
31 Mar 2009 23:12 #24907 by ubarose
Ken B. wrote:

We getting closer?

Above and beyond close. I feel like I have a whole new vocabulary to precisely describe a number of different styles of game play. I've also realized the common thread between seemingly different games that I like. Plus, I've gotten some new recommendations.

I'm also thinking that nearly all AT games are dude games. You have your dude or dudes on the board, not your cubes, or your markers, or your trains, or your buildings. I don't think I own any AT games that aren't dude games.

More
31 Mar 2009 23:50 #24910 by dysjunct
I'd just call it a "deathmatch board game." Since it's like FPSs deathmatches in running around maps fighting each other.

More
01 Apr 2009 06:29 - 01 Apr 2009 06:54 #24915 by Bullwinkle
Jason Lutes wrote:

"Tactical close quarters combat?" "Tactical melee?" The "turn-based" part is a little redundant when we're talking about boardgames -- I think it's a carryover from computer game terminology.

But...you could certainly design a boardgame that was not strictly turn-based: for example, simultaneous movement, or alternating movement, or initiative-based movement. The mechanics and play of these type of games would be quite different from true turn-based games, and you might want a way of distinguishing them.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2009 06:54 by Bullwinkle.

More
01 Apr 2009 07:28 #24918 by Ken B.
Star Wars Miniatures uses initiative rolls and back-and-forth activations during the same turn. I'd wager a lot of skirmish games do.

More
01 Apr 2009 09:35 #24928 by Jason Lutes
Bullwinkle wrote:

Jason Lutes wrote:

But...you could certainly design a boardgame that was not strictly turn-based: for example, simultaneous movement, or alternating movement, or initiative-based movement. The mechanics and play of these type of games would be quite different from true turn-based games, and you might want a way of distinguishing them.

That's certainly true, but I would argue that the default, commonly understood structure for boardgames is turn-based, so we don't need the "turn-based" descriptor. IMO, The sorts of terms you mention are important to distinguish those types of games from turn-based games, which are the norm.

In any case, a term that describes the order in which pieces are moved doesn't really seem germaine to this discussion, since the general category of games uba's trying to nail down could easily use simultaneous/alternating/initiative-based movement...

More
01 Apr 2009 09:49 #24931 by Columbob
metalface13 wrote:

I still like dude games ...

Is Mordheim as awesome as Necromunda?

I'd say even better. They had had time to smooth any rough bumps in their system by the release of Mordheim. Of course, if you prefer guns to slings and bows, Necromunda is better (or GorkaMorka if you like to shoot guns while driving trucks and bikes).

The best part of Mordheim is the variety of races, as opposed to Necromunda where you played different human clans with mostly superficial differences. In Morheim you can play different teams of humans, undead (zombies, wolves, vampires...), warrior-priests, skaven, chaos mutants and cultists, plenty of henchmen, monsters, etc. Of course they added a ton of different new teams to both games, but I think Mordheim had the most depth, and there was actually an overarching story behind the game. 40K is a cooler universe though.

More
01 Apr 2009 11:22 #24952 by metalface13

or GorkaMorka if you like to shoot guns while driving trucks and bikes.

Yeah, I've played GorkaMorka too, but I liked Necromunda better. Playing as orks was fun, but the driving didn't do that much for me.

I'd be happy if there was a group around me that played any of those three games though.

More
01 Apr 2009 11:38 #24956 by ChristopherMD
Hero Crawls - Similar to dungeon crawls, but the heroes can be anywhere.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds