October 09, 2023
2560 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2761 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Dueling Cartoonists

More
07 May 2009 10:03 #28131 by Deleted User 1

It seems BGG has their cartoonist Brian Barling back after work after a long absence.

No doubt because he is trying to compete with the Number 1 boardgaming cartoonist Schweig.

You will notice that Barling is back in full force with slick color graphics but unfortunately he is no match for Schweig.

His cartoons lack the humor and character development that is present in a Schweig Toon.

Winner?

Schweig by a knock out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2009 11:01 #28136 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:The Dueling Cartoonists
Agree. The new cartoons lack the soul of Schweig's masterworks.

More
07 May 2009 11:13 #28137 by Deleted User 1
I hear that one of Schweig's early toons on oil will be auctioned at Sotheby's this summer.

I would like to have it for my game room but I'm afraid even the starting bid is WAY out of my price range!

More
07 May 2009 12:36 #28152 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:The Dueling Cartoonists
I also think that it's a funny coincidence that Brian's cartoons are in color now, since the coloring is maybe one of the "trademarks" of my cartoons and it's also the most time consuming part. I, too, would like to know what brought Brian to draw cartoons again after the long break. Maybe Aldie pays him now?

But I have great respect for Brian's work. We are also geekbuddies on TOS. I even think that he wins the "competition" this week, as my recent cartoon lacks a catchy punchline.

More
07 May 2009 12:44 #28155 by TheDukester
the*mad*gamer wrote:

I hear that one of Schweig's early toons on oil will be auctioned at Sotheby's this summer.

The early Schweig is a fascinating look at the developing artist. One can sense, as the artist grows and matures, the technique and expression that becomes apparent in the later Eugene series. In fact, one could go so far as to say th- zzzzzzzz *snort* zzzzzzz ...

More
07 May 2009 13:30 #28163 by southernman
There's another boardgame website with cartoons ?!

More
07 May 2009 13:56 #28170 by Michael Barnes
I was once the punchline of a Brian Barling cartoon. It was how I knew that I had 'arrived'. I thought it was really funny, I was overtaken by meeples a la Gulliver and they were setting fire to me. Then other people complained that it was a personal attack and it was taken down.

More
07 May 2009 14:48 #28175 by TheDukester
Michael Barnes wrote:

Then other people complained that it was a personal attack and it was taken down.

C'mon, Michael, everyone knows that you can't have personal attacks at a boardgaming site. They're not very elegant or efficient. Asshole.

More
07 May 2009 14:56 #28177 by Michael Barnes
Dukester, we'll let it slide, but next time please say "like anasshole"

More
07 May 2009 15:08 #28179 by Deleted User 1

I was once the punchline of a Brian Barling cartoon. It was how I knew that I had 'arrived'. I thought it was really funny, I was overtaken by meeples a la Gulliver and they were setting fire to me. Then other people complained that it was a personal attack and it was taken down.

I remember this cartoon, it was in Barling's black and white era before copying Schweig's color toons.

Rumor has it that it was really taken down because your shoes looked white and implied you might be wearing white Reeboks.

More
07 May 2009 17:37 #28186 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:The Dueling Cartoonists

I remember that. I think it was the beginning of the Great Divide between AT gamers and Euro Gamers. It seemed like big stuff at the time. Not so much now.

More
07 May 2009 18:37 #28189 by Bullwinkle
Michael Barnes wrote:

First, can we see this cartoon somewhere? It sounds fantastic.

Second, we have Schweig and Ted Allsevens. You'd think the other sites would have cried 'uncle' by now.

More
07 May 2009 21:25 #28191 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:The Dueling Cartoonists
I actually think that Barling's new cartoons look nice. There is a movement in them and they seem more alive then Schweig's (no offense). The line work is quite nice.

That said Schweigs cartoons are much more original looking and not nearly as derivative and to me that means a bit more.

But I still think that Barling does a nice line.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds