October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2760 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The REAL Star Trek Movie Review

More
10 May 2009 22:17 #28332 by Deleted User 1

I was gong to post this under Ken's movie review article but after reading it I could see Ken was clearly confused as he only the gave the movie 4.75 stars out of 5.

The movie is a 5 star movie!!!

I remember seeing "Star Wars" for the first time in 1977 and walking out of the theatre with a sense of awe. This happened again after "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and again tonight after seeing the new "Star Trek" movie.

This is what really GREAT movie making is all about. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was perfect!

I have nothing but the highest praise for the actors which were all top notch and yes even 17 year old Checkov was great!

I won't go into plot details as that has been well covered but I would like to make special mention of the music which was awe inspiring. A very exciting and emotional music score really lifted this picture to the heights of Blockbuster which it clearly is. The use of low brass is some of the best I have heard in a long time and enough even to make John Williams wet his pants!

Applause broke out in the theatre and it of course was well deserved and it was really funny to observe even the most jaded trying to find fault with the picture.

I would like to also mention that that big ass Romulan ship clearly to me symbolized Lucas and the current Star Wars francise being blown out of the water as Star Trek now takes the top spot as King of Sci Fi. But Star Wars fans do not be sad as everything in entertainment goes in cycles. Just like when Euro games used to be on top, now Ameritrash rules the roost.

I think back to that Dragon Con seminar with Battlestar gallactica dominating sci fi and trek fans lamenting the fact they can't get a show as good.

Well now they have their show and they have it in spades!

The movie had all the passion, action and human drama that make up entertainment at its finest!

5 out of 5 stars!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2009 22:58 #28333 by Ken B.
Really man it was damn close to 5 stars. That lazy bit of plotwriting in the middle where Kirk just so happens to get exiled to a certain planet, runs wildly across the surface, tumbles down a big mountain and just so happens to...ah, well, you know what I'm talking about. That was groan-inducingly bad writing.

I don't usually give stupid fraction stars beyond a half, but I gave a few movies last year 4.5 stars that Trek is clearly better than.

I wish they'd thought of a better way to get you-know-who and you-know-who together, and I really wish they'd given Bana more time to flesh out his villain, which came off paper-thin.

But those are tiny little complaints, I admit it. The moral of the story--get your ass to a theater and see Trek.

More
10 May 2009 23:09 #28334 by Deleted User 1

That was groan-inducingly bad writing.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

The whole point of that scene was to maximize the surprise and shock of who you are about to see. It worked for me BIG TIME. I LOVED IT!!!

More
11 May 2009 01:07 #28337 by Count Orlok
Yeah, there are a few things I would have done differently, and meeting Spock is one of the big ones. It wasn't handled as well as it could have been, oh well.

I agree though - 9/10 for me, and I've already seen it twice.

More
11 May 2009 09:12 #28342 by san il defanso
I got a little tired of everything being explained with another black hole. I don't think it would have bothered me as much if they'd just made up a phenomena, but the black holes in the movie don't seem to have much relation to actual ones.

Beyond that nitpick though, it was a lot of fun. Definitely worth seeing.

More
11 May 2009 09:26 #28344 by jpat
The pre-title teaser was absolutely brilliant. The effects and the overall look of the film made pretty much every other ST film, with the possible exception of the first one, look like it'd been shot on videotape with SFX produced on an Atari 2600. I liked Quinto as Spock far, far more than I would have dreamed possible; the casting all around was quite good, I thought. As bold as it was in some ways, though, this movie falls into the same pattern that all of the movies have fallen into, which is that the villain must be an insane megalomaniac. (Well, the Borg are just megalomaniacs.) I know this was *a* kind of villain in the original series, but it really wasn't the only kind, I swear. That said, it was an excellent experience, ranking up there for me between Khan and First Contact.

More
11 May 2009 09:58 #28347 by Deleted User 1
I think the meeting of the logical Mr. Spock in an illogical way is totally brilliant and everything is neatly tied up in the end with Spock's conversation with himself saying you could use your feelings more.

Plus the movie makers knew they were probably in for a hit from the Trekies no matter what they did and it is a nice punch in the gut and message from the director saying,

"Just sit back and enjoy this you asshole!" HA!

More
11 May 2009 10:15 #28352 by ubarose
the*mad*gamer wrote:

"Just sit back and enjoy this you asshole!" HA!

Leonard Nimoy seems to agree with you.

www.blippitt.com/star-trek-star-on-snl-weekend-update-video

More
11 May 2009 10:27 #28354 by Deleted User 1

Leonard Nimoy seems to agree with you

LOVE IT!!!!!

More
11 May 2009 13:57 #28381 by Black Barney
8/10 for Trek fans
10/10 for non-Trek fans.

if I had to give it one review, I'd probably just give it a 10/10

amazing movie. Seems to lose a ton of momentum when the movie hits the ice planet but it picks up again eventually.

Winona Ryder is diharrea to this movie tho. SO MISCAST

More
14 May 2009 08:10 #28765 by Nick Dalton
Fun movie with some significant problems and some real excellent moments. Like The Dark Knight for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds