October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What the AF: A BGG Love Story

More
12 Jan 2017 08:11 #242278 by SuperflyPete
We should run a FORTRESSTHON. All we need is Jerry Lewis and a bunch of the designers who frequent the site to stand by on the phones. MILLIONS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2017 09:01 #242281 by Columbob

Mad Dog wrote: Let's be realistic here; Most weddings are lame.

My GF's cousin has pictures of her wedding (to a guy who's her father's age, has kids her age, and even shares her father's name - but that's something else) quoting that it was the most wonderful day of her life - nope, not giving birth to her kids! It obviously means different things to different people.

We're not married (after 16 years together) and have no intention of doing it. I was joking to family that we'd do it while eloping in Vegas - my Mom must have been terrorized.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Jan 2017 09:35 #242285 by the_jake_1973
My wife and I got married in a brewery by our friend who is also the head brewer there. Good times.

If you really want 'what the AF' material, the boardgames subreddit provides a wealth of that.

More
12 Jan 2017 10:07 #242288 by SuperflyPete
I took a sick day and got married in the courthouse with no prior knowledge that I'd be doing so that day.

More
12 Jan 2017 10:08 #242289 by Black Barney
As romantic as stool.

More
12 Jan 2017 10:18 #242291 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote: I took a sick day and got married in the courthouse with no prior knowledge that I'd be doing so that day.

Sounds like there was a shotgun involved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
12 Jan 2017 10:21 - 12 Jan 2017 10:22 #242293 by SuperflyPete
I was sick. Mama got me loaded on NyQuil and played hooky from work "to take care of me" (read: to get stoned and watch reruns). About 3:30P she says "Lets get married". I said OK. We drove tot he courthouse and paid 78$ (and received a gift basket from the state of California) went upstairs to the courthouse and got married. The bailiff was the witness.

We then went to Sears and got wedding portraits.

Then we went home and I went to bed. That was 20 years ago.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2017 10:22 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
12 Jan 2017 10:44 #242295 by san il defanso

the_jake_1973 wrote: My wife and I got married in a brewery by our friend who is also the head brewer there. Good times.

If you really want 'what the AF' material, the boardgames subreddit provides a wealth of that.

You know how a lot of people here break out in hives over BGG? That's what /r/boardgames does to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
12 Jan 2017 12:02 #242304 by southernman

Michael Barnes wrote: .... But I'm sure someone would think my nerd wedding was lame.

Shit, I'm going to ask - what was nerdy about your wedding Mike ?

More
12 Jan 2017 12:22 - 12 Jan 2017 12:23 #242307 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What the AF: A BGG Love Story

Southernman wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: .... But I'm sure someone would think my nerd wedding was lame.

Shit, I'm going to ask - what was nerdy about your wedding Mike ?

I TAKE YOU, LOTHLORIEL REINCARNATED, AS MY BROODMARE AND THO THE SUNS MAY SET ON THIS MIDDLE EARTH, LET ONLY SAURON'S ANCIENT WRATH TO BE THAT WHICH MAY ASUNDER OUR BOND

Last edit: 12 Jan 2017 12:23 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, SebastianBludd, Columbob, boothwah, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
12 Jan 2017 13:18 #242311 by southernman
As I know what Mike looks like I take it that is you Jeb ?

More
12 Jan 2017 14:20 #242315 by Varys
Replied by Varys on topic What the AF: A BGG Love Story
Meh I wouldn't get married in a game store, but whatever, it's better than people spending shit loads of money on weddings and receptions and announcing it to the world as if it's the most amazing thing ever.

Now, getting back to this Arkham Horror LCG playthrough video on BGG. 3.5 hours to play the intro scenario including over 40 minutes of rules explanation and no close up of any cards?!?! Fire whoever is editing this crap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
12 Jan 2017 15:28 #242319 by SuperflyPete
Mike and his wife dressed up as Ewoks and when it was over they walked out of the venue to people throwing pieces of tin foil at them, representing Death Star debris. That's my bet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, Msample

More
12 Jan 2017 16:14 #242321 by ChristopherMD
I'm thinking Star Trek uniforms for the Barnes'. Original series of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Jan 2017 17:47 #242333 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha...Jeb is actually pretty close. We didn't have a falcon though, what a great idea. I love falconry. My dog was there though.

We got married at this art gallery run by this borderline crazy lady. She does some Brian Froud-like fairy stuff. The inside of this place was just insane- all of this sculpted wood, all of these secret places...she had two wiener dogs, Merry and Pippin. Which was appropriate because our wedding was LOTR-influenced. It was not some kind of nerded out tribute to LOTR, we drew inspiration from some of the visuals. There was no cosplay or anything like that except for my niece, who was my "best man" (one of those situations where everybody knew she was gay even at this age, which would have been 6-7 years old). She wanted to be an elf, so I got her a Legolas costume and she wanted to carry Sting, so I got her a toy one since this was not long after ROTK was in theaters. We actually had the wedding in this courtyard, we had a sword (a replica of Narsil, no less) stuck into a giant oak stump instead of an altar. We used some music from the films, along with some Wagner (specifially that bit from Excalibur). My mom made our clothes, which were 100% bespoke. I basically drew a picture of what I wanted and she made it. Sort of a long forest green coat with a short collar, silver lion head buckles. My wife had a sort of medieval/modern dress that apparently was a total nightmare to make. I wrote the vows, but they weren't anything nearly as geeky as what Jeb guessed.

What we wanted to get across was something fun, different, and reflective of our sensibilities. AND TASTEFUL. Nothing tacky, nothing silly or insincere. We wanted a little theatricality to it. At one point were both going to carry in banners but I couldn't get them made in time. We did not seek to repeatedly inform the 100 or so people that came that we were REALLY into LOTR. In fact, if you were not very familiar with LOTR, you might not even have realized that there were visual elements that we borrowed. In fact, I think at least half of the people there had no idea of the references and just assumed that it was all sort of medieval.

Reception was TOTALLY a different thing. There's this place in ATL called Paris on Ponce, it's an antiques shop but they have this Moulin Rouge-themed event hall so we had a whole 19th century Parisian thing there. No DJ, I made the entire playlist- the Great Stuff- Bowie, Prince, The Clash, etc.. We had a friend do these insane magic tricks on stage. There was a fortune teller. The food was awful. It was all incredibly expensive. It was all absolutely worth it.

The thing about a wedding is that it is what you make of it. If it's going to the JOTP or having a $10,000 blowout. It's what's important to you, and it's what you want to remember. You make the investment you want and take out what you want from it. If you think weddings are worthless ceremonies, then there you go. If you think it's a special event worth spending money on and enshrining a moment in your life, then it can be that too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds