October 09, 2023
2806 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2948 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What's up with the Wii?

More
11 May 2009 11:11 #28361 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:What's up with the Wii?
Sagrilarus wrote:

Bullwinkle wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Abner needs a Gamer Mom column on GameShark, like the Movie Mom site.

I find it hard to believe this doesn't exist already. Not even a small website, somewhere? With a Christian/religious slant, maybe? Seriously, this is the kind of idea someone has that ends up making buckets of money simply because no one has done it before.

An alternative web site that caters to a specific niche off the mainstream of a fan base is exactly what F:At is. Ubarose doesn't post here more often because all of her time is spent counting the money that's coming in.

Sag.

Then she has the gall to pay the staff in Decipher Dollars. Trust me, this is worse than having no money at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2009 11:30 #28362 by Michael Barnes
Wii may be skewed towards woman and families, but it is hard to find game reviews written for this audience. I have to read Wii game reviews like I read board game reviews written by Eurogamers. If the review says a Wii game is cloying, unchallenging and lacks depth, it means the Spawn will probably like it, and Nana may even be able to play it too.

Every single website and magazine covering games is completely missing out on an incredible opportunity here. It's bizarre, the gaming demographic has shifted tremendously yet the media coverage is still a boy's club and run by self-professed "hardcore" gamers that are NEVER going to give some of the lighter Wii (or 360 or PS3) fare a real chance, and what's more they're not going to review or cover those games with an eye toward what casual gamers, women, and children look for- which is something totally different than what a HALO 3 addict wants.

IGN has some kind of "beta" site called Greenpixels.com that is almost completely female-staffed and may be a move in that direction. It'll be interesting to see if it gets any traction.

More
11 May 2009 11:45 #28366 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:What's up with the Wii?
Bullwinkle wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Abner needs a Gamer Mom column on GameShark, like the Movie Mom site.

I find it hard to believe this doesn't exist already. Not even a small website, somewhere? With a Christian/religious slant, maybe? Seriously, this is the kind of idea someone has that ends up making buckets of money simply because no one has done it before.

I haven't been able to find one. If anyone does, let me know.

What's great about Movie Mom is that it doesn't have a religious slant. She's pretty objective, and gives specific information that allows you to make informed choices based upon your own values and the sensitivity of your child. Like I don't care if a movie has swearing, but my kid freaks at the sight of blood.

What you want as a parent for video games isn't just information about content, but things like how much fine motor control, and hand eye coordination a game requires. How much reading it requires. How easy is it to navigate menus. Is it a multiplayer game? If so, is it turn based, and how much downtime is there between turns? If it is cooperative how coordinated do the two players need to be (like on some adventure games, both players have to stay close together, otherwise the screen gets "stuck" and the player that is further ahead can get killed off because they can't fight or jump, and then the kids start screaming at each other and someone ends up crying)? And for DS games, will it drive you nuts, because it requires that the kid talk to the game?

This allows you to make informed choices for your family. We've gotten burned on a number of games because the Spawn doesn't have the coordination to time jumps on a lot of the popular kid games, although this isn't a problem for many of her friends. On the other hand, she has no problem navigating relatively complex menu systems, which frustrate the hell out of other kids.

More
11 May 2009 12:33 #28371 by iguanaDitty
There's a website called GamerDad: www.gamingwithchildren.com/

May be some of what you mentioned, uba.

More
11 May 2009 14:23 - 11 May 2009 14:25 #28388 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:What's up with the Wii?
iguanaDitty wrote:

There's a website called GamerDad: www.gamingwithchildren.com/

May be some of what you mentioned, uba.

You mean Ned Flanders' site?

Michael Barnes wrote:

IGN has some kind of "beta" site called Greenpixels.com that is almost completely female-staffed and may be a move in that direction. It'll be interesting to see if it gets any traction.

I'll have to check it out. Reviews written by hardcore gals that are able to translate gamer jargon and tech talk into something a casual gamer can understand, with "an eye toward what casual gamers, women, and children look for," would be helpful to many people, particularly if they can do it using a standard format and a professional voice. Unfortunately, writing reviews targeted at moms is extremely uncool right now. Most gamer gals are trying to distance themselves from that and establish that they are just as "hard-core" as the boys. Squishy review sites like GamerDad's doesn't make being known as the "Gamer Mom Reviewer" any more appealing.
Last edit: 11 May 2009 14:25 by ubarose.

More
11 May 2009 15:10 #28393 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:What's up with the Wii?
Well, here's what's working with my game-playing kids (ages 5 and 3.5):
  • Games they find at Starfall .
  • ENDLESS OCEAN (Wii) worked for a while, but the controls are tough. Good for "guided gaming" though.
  • WARIOLAND: SHAKE IT (Wii) is a hit. The older one can play that one OK.
  • PEGGLE on the Mac is good, not so much on the DS. Same goes for BEJEWELED.
  • They would watch me play ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS on the DS all damn day if I would let them. I would bet the same goes for ZELDA: WINDWAKER on the GC (Wii). These are more cartoony than ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS, which would be intense for them.
  • They loooove the Mii Channel and the little associated contest channel.
  • MARIO KART: WII is a winner, though they drive backwards.

More
11 May 2009 15:36 #28397 by MattFantastic
I've always found that the best "reviews" are actually from other sources. For example reading the Penny Arcade posts gives me a much better idea of what I'd think of a game than most reviews. I've also found Joystiq to be pretty open and into looking at silly kids games as what they are rather than shitting on them for not being "hardcore" enough.

I think it helps though that lifelong nerdy dudes around the age of 30 with ridiculous senses of humor is exactly the demographic I fall into so YMMV.

More
11 May 2009 23:14 - 11 May 2009 23:15 #28462 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:What's up with the Wii?
Ubarose--

www.whattheyplay.com is a reasonably good parents resource to games.
Last edit: 11 May 2009 23:15 by Gary Sax.

More
12 May 2009 09:59 - 12 May 2009 10:01 #28489 by Bullwinkle
Sagrilarus wrote:

An alternative web site that caters to a specific niche off the mainstream of a fan base is exactly what F:At is. Ubarose doesn't post here more often because all of her time is spent counting the money that's coming in.

Ha! But my guess is that the 'help me choose games for younger kids' market is much, much larger than our small group for--what do we call it--Ameri Trash?
Last edit: 12 May 2009 10:01 by Bullwinkle.

More
01 Jun 2009 18:57 - 01 Jun 2009 19:29 #31077 by ironcates
Has anyone played PUNCH OUT!? or WII MUSIC?

Also with the WII FIT balance board are these games improved much?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 19:29 by ironcates.

More
01 Jun 2009 21:15 #31093 by metalface13
ironcates wrote:

Has anyone played PUNCH OUT!? or WII MUSIC?

Also with the WII FIT balance board are these games improved much?

I've played both. I enjoyed Wii Music more than I thought I would ... but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it much. There's not a lot of game there. We chipped in with my sister's siblings to buy it for their parents for Christmas. They spent most of the time playing the music mini games. Stuff like pick the three characters that create a harmony or which one is playing the wrong note, etc.

Punch Out! is excellent! It's basically the same game as the NES game, but with really nice cel-shaded graphics. So yeah, it's a ton of fun. Mulitplayer was OK, but nothing great. What makes Punch Out so fun is figuring out the patterns. In multiplayer, there are no patterns. But still, it's an OK diversion.

Diverging from your question, I just watched the E3 trailer and a 13 minute walkthrough of the opening level of Red Steal 2. That game looks AWESOME. I love the cel-shaded graphic novel look. Also, a crazy East meets West apocalyptic setting is hard to beat. It looks really fun.

Watch them here http://media.wii.ign.com/media/867/867131/vids_1.html

More
01 Jun 2009 21:30 #31096 by Ochobee
Replied by Ochobee on topic Re:What's up with the Wii?
If you like Baseball, don't be a schlub like me and pass over the Power Pros line of games. From the case you would think that this is some silly game made for the ankle biters, when it is really one of the deeper baseball games I have yet played. If you can get around the goof player models, you will find hours upon hours of good gaming within.

www.amazon.com/MLB-Power-Pros-2008-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0019C6KBG

More
01 Jun 2009 21:36 #31097 by Michael Barnes
PUNCH-OUT!! is a _masterpiece_. I'd say it's my third favorite Wii game, up there with GALAXY and BRAWL. It really should put Little Mac and co. up there with Mario and Link.

Full review (!) coming up...

More
01 Jun 2009 21:46 #31099 by metalface13
Ochobee wrote:

If you like Baseball, don't be a schlub like me and pass over the Power Pros line of games. From the case you would think that this is some silly game made for the ankle biters, when it is really one of the deeper baseball games I have yet played. If you can get around the goof player models, you will find hours upon hours of good gaming within.

www.amazon.com/MLB-Power-Pros-2008-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0019C6KBG

I've heard great things about those games, but I haven't picked one up.

More
01 Jun 2009 21:49 #31101 by generalpf
I had the opportunity to pick up a used Wii with two controllers and nunchuks for less than a new Wii with one controller. So far we've really enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Sluggers (the Mario baseball game), Super Paper Mario and Boom Blox (both old and new). We bought Sluggers and Boom Blox Bash Party. I've never heard so much laughing while playing a video game before.

Like all other Nintendo consoles dating back to the Nintendo 64, the third-party support is pretty crappy, but the first-party stuff makes it all worthwhile. It's my first next-gen console, and it will be awhile before we're done working through the Wii's existing titles and move on (not up) to a PS3.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds