October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Thoughts on SW: Legions?

More
06 Apr 2018 14:54 - 06 Apr 2018 14:55 #267068 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
I never thought of FFG as a story company. I don't have a problem with them focusing their core competencies on making good board games and applying them to other people's narratives.

In my opinion their bigger issue is that they don't differentiate their titles that are on the same IP, making it hard for any particular game to get a solid promotional message out. Their Star Wars titles are legion. I can't keep them straight, even the ones I own.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2018 14:55 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2018 16:05 #267070 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

Stonecutter wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:
I was thinking last night that it is interesting, the only real success they've had in terms of creating a proprietary game world is...Arkham Horror. NONE of their other attempts have managed to work. The Android world, who cares about Bio-blob or Haas-Googatech or whatever. Terrinoth...well, there you go. But Arkham Horror has a distinct sense of setting and even characters. The whole Lovecraft-inspired pulp adventure concept...they have that pretty much locked up. Thanks to Richard Launius and Kevin Wilson, who, notably, are not FFG employees.

Android - Licensed? Maybe they own it now, but they didn't create it

It was Kevin Wilson (an FFG employee at the time it was created, I believe) and Dan Clark (still at FFG, I think) who created Android (published 2008). It didn't become a "setting" until they grafted it onto Vaccarino's Android: Infiltration and the remake of Netrunner in 2012.

Android: Netrunner is by far the biggest thing associated with that setting now, but it's pretty much like Rex in this case. An in-house setting applied to a reprint of a well-loved classic. However. it's a "setting" in much the same way as TI or Terrinoth. Just "Mash a few movies you like together, change some names, and print some games."

At this point, I think of them as "The Star Wars company", and don't even track their releases anymore. They've stopped doing the stuff I liked from them, and we've diverged in interest. I don't think they're crying, though. Looks profitable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
06 Apr 2018 16:11 #267071 by SuperflyPete
I just finished the Legion article. It’s really hard to pin down what I want to say in 750-1000 words.

Short version: great game, bridges the gap between x wing and “real” war games, but the lack of content in the box will surely disappoint.

More
06 Apr 2018 22:54 #267083 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
I'm not sure with you guys, but I think FFG does a great job on either fronts, theme wise.

I *love* a generic theme. I appreciate unique themes, but most of them are either fall flat, or too edgy/strange to me. I think with books and movies, I love strange theme. But if it's a world I'm getting into, I prefer things I'm familiar with to ease my entry. Even with computer games, only a select few unique setting got to me. All my favorites are pretty generic (XCOM, Civ, Mass Effect, Gothic, Skyrim, etc).
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
09 Apr 2018 10:43 #267129 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
Finally played a full 800 point aside game on Friday. I fielded Rebels (3 squads of troopers, Luke, two of the walker things, and a speeder) vs Vader, 3 squads of Stormtroopers, a squad of bikes and a AT-ST.

We played the long-march set-up so with both started at the long edges, and had to capture three objectives, who ever had the most squad leaders touching the terrain piece with the objective marker at the end of the game claimed the objective, person with the most objectives won. The condition card was limited visibility which really limited his AT-ST's mortar in the early turns. The pregame set-up is kind of clever with a row of cards for objective, one for conditions and one for set-up. Players can each eliminate the card furthest to the left in one row twice. Also I like the potential of creating a command hand, right now you are pretty stuck with the 7 cards that come wit the base game, but once you have access to a second commander you'll be able to mix it up and have a bit of a strategy going into the match.

I used to be really into 40K in 2nd edition and especially Necromunda. I've played some Warmachine and various small skirmish miniature sets over the years. Mostly you go I go stuff, so I really found the way order token work refreshing. I know Bolt-Action and other games use a similar method, but it ws new to me. I like that I could bid low and get to make sure my speeder went first, giving it a chance to stay out of the firing arc of the AT-ST while getting off its own shots. I can see this being a big part of the game, choosing a force of mostly foot soldiers will allow you to activate troops whenever you want, while a mixed force will contain a bit more risk.

I had two things that I had a hard time adjusting to and I think the compulsory movement aspect was the most difficult to wrap my head around. Trying to plan where the speeder would end up and to not run into things was difficult. If you can't complete your compulsory movement you take damage even in the case of the speeder towering above the barricade you 'ran into'. Felt I bit X-wing like and I appreciate that the speeders can't just stand still, but for some reason I had to keep going back to the rule book on this one. The other thing that took awhile to adjust to was unit coherency and movement. Since you only measure from your leader and everyone else can move out to range one of him, you can get most of your troops in cover even if your leader is waving in the wind. We had some indoor spacestation terrain and declared that it was an action to open the door. At one point my leader was just shy of reaching the door on his first action so I used a second to get there when I could of just put a troop in front of him.

Overall I really like the game- even managed a pretty crushing win against the empire. We were tied at objectives, but the tie breaker was points on the board, he only had Vader and a speeder bike left and I had only lost one squad and a walker.

I think Superfly is right it doesn't really do anything super new or unique, but since I am not currently invested in a Tabletop minis game, it works great to get me back into that aspect of the hobby. I do wonder about future releases. I lot of people hate Ewoks and Gungans but those are the two of the three big ground battles that take place in the movies.

I liked the two actions per squad sort of thing, it felt flexible. I didn't have to move and then shoot. even though that is what we mostly did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
09 Apr 2018 10:52 #267131 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
There are tons of non-original trilogy places they can go with this, I suspect, but are those the big sellers? They'll have to simultaneously bring out a million packs of slightly different Stormtroopers. Snow troopers, assault troopers, beach troopers, etc

I mean, it's what space Marines in 40k are, so it'll probably be fine.

More
09 Apr 2018 18:01 #267174 by SuperflyPete
Review is sent to Michael. It should be up this or next week at Miniature Market.

Now, after much deliberation and really thinking about it, I have some thoughts:
- Shit selling method.
- Models are a bit of a pain to assemble.
- Chit pull vs Initiative value is awesome.
- Scenario builder is awesome and every pack should come with extras. Best feature of the game, hands down.
- The setup cards are lacking a “surrounded” scenario where you have to fight your way to a rally point.
- If I had money, and friends to play this often, I’d buy into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
09 Apr 2018 18:06 #267176 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
Yeah, sounds like a fun system.

More
11 Apr 2018 14:58 #267287 by fightcitymayor
So FAT consensus went from:
This is dumb.
to
This is fun.

I will wait for Prince Pedrito's MM review.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, edulis

More
11 Apr 2018 21:09 #267330 by SuperflyPete
LOL Prince Pedrito.

Irony is that my wife calls me Pedro

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds