October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Print and Play Terrain

More
24 Sep 2009 09:04 #42517 by Stephen Avery
I'm a fair hand at photoshop and have been pimping out my Heroclix terrain but I've wondered if anyone has tired the print and play terrain that is commercially available.
Specifically I'm looking for a cityscape but I'd be interested in hearing comments on other types of print and play stuff too.

Is is scaleable? did you like the graphics? what problems did you encounter?

Right now I have a box of buildings on foam core. The buildins are in 2 peices and hinged with paper tape. When set up you open them to make two sets of right angles. I did it that way so I could quickly set them up but could collapse them into compact strorage. The other option was "nesting" each building into a larger one. I liked the former method though because I could go with building sizes that exactly fit 1.5 " increments.

Any thoughts on Print and Play?

Steve"heroclix4Ever"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2009 12:16 #42544 by MattFantastic
Some dudes I used to play D&D with had a ton of World Works stuff. It wasn't as impressive as any of the Dwarven Forge or Hirst Arts molded stuff some other friends are rocking, but it was still pretty fucking awesome. I have no idea about how much effort they really put into putting them together but they acted like it wasn't that big a deal.

If you want maximum awesome and are willing to put a lot of work into it, I'd go with the Hirst Arts molds rather than the paper craft stuff. They are pretty cheap overall and the results are mind blowing if you get really into it.

I hear Stone Edges is good too.

More
24 Sep 2009 13:06 #42548 by Stephen Avery
I've been bitten by the Hirst bug (thanks to Frank and his steenking Decent set) and I've just begun my spacehulk set. So far, I've completed the ruined tower,the greek temple and the basic space station,and a generic set of dungeon tiles.

The Heroclix stuff needs to be a lot more portable though so instead I'm looking into printed collapsable terrain. I'll look into worldworks. Did you like the level of printed detail? Some P&P stuff looks very cartoonish. I was looking for something more realistic and possibly gritty.

Steve"MiniManiac"Avery

More
24 Sep 2009 13:14 #42549 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Print and Play Terrain
Decent? Is that the version of Descent with all the naughty bits covered up?

I never got into HeroClix (I would have if it wasn't collectible), but I did download a really cool set of maps somebody made for the old Baxter Building, the original HQ of the Fantastic Four. And another fan-made map of some interesting jungle terrain, complete with a couple of rope bridges. But I never got around to printing them off, because they're huge. I think Kinkos would do it, but probably for more money than I'm willing to spend right now.

But you're not just talking about maps, are you? It sounds like you're talking about printing off stuff that folds up into 3D. Sounds great, but I don't have info about that.

More
24 Sep 2009 13:53 #42553 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Print and Play Terrain
A buddy of mine printed up a bunch of terrasin a few years ago. Bottom line? It's the price of ink that's the killer, not to mention the amouunt of time it takes to put together.

But as a transportable terain system? Unbeatable.

More
24 Sep 2009 14:06 #42555 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Print and Play Terrain
That WorldWorks stuff looks like it would be great for Necromunda too. Hrm....

More
24 Sep 2009 14:10 #42557 by Stephen Avery

Some dudes I used to play D&D with had a ton of World Works stuff.

I just surfed that site and the stuff is *exactly* what I'm looking for. It will save me a ton of time eing able to print out that stuff as opposed to having to photshop my own.

Thanks!

Steve"happymodeller"Avery

More
24 Sep 2009 14:11 #42558 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Print and Play Terrain
I know one of the heroclix forums had a thread about print and play buildings a month or two ago, but I can't fucking find it now. Microtactix has print n play building sets for sale (there's a free preview building so you can try it out), but don't know how they compare in quality to the world works stuff (prices seem roughly the same).

Bottom line? It's the price of ink that's the killer, not to mention the amouunt of time it takes to put together.

Yeah, definitely print them off at work if you can.

More
24 Sep 2009 14:13 #42559 by metalface13
Dogmatix wrote:

That WorldWorks stuff looks like it would be great for Necromunda too. Hrm....

That's what I've always thought. Too bad I don't have my Necormunda models anymore.

More
24 Sep 2009 14:18 #42562 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Print and Play Terrain
Is Necromunda any different from Mordheim other than the 40k vs. Fantasy them? Mordheim was a lot of fun.

More
24 Sep 2009 14:23 #42563 by metalface13
Almalik wrote:

Is Necromunda any different from Mordheim other than the 40k vs. Fantasy them? Mordheim was a lot of fun.

I never played Mordheim, but yeah they are pretty similar. But yeah, you have a gang, you fight with other gangs, there are a bunch of scenarios. Your gang also has 'turf' it works after each fight to get money which you can then spend buying stuff for your gang/buying more gangers. Your guys level up, acquire new skills, acquire serious wounds, get killed. Rise in infamy or starve to death. You can also get outlawed, which can be trouble but also leads to its own benefits.

I'd love to play Mordheim, but I've never really seen anyone play any GW games besides Fantasy and 40K.

More
16 Feb 2011 03:35 #88058 by Amontillado
I'm going to resurrect this thread because I started looking at the WorldWorks website and their Hellworks III: Celestus Pravatis looks perfect for a future Doom scenario. Has anyone done this to get a handle on what it costs to print such a dungeon on cardstock or foamcore?

More
16 Feb 2011 08:54 #88073 by Stephen Avery
I ended up going with Hirst Art tiles. It was more expensive but it satifies a creative itch. However, if I wanted great looking terrain that was quick and light, I totally get this. They look awesome and for the price of a couple of printing cartirges you could have a bunch of terrain.

I really love the his stuff.

Steve"terrain junky"Avery

More
16 Feb 2011 16:26 #88142 by Amontillado
Thanks Steve. I don't have a color printer, so I'd have to take it to Kinko's or somewhere to print it. Since I'd be playing this with Doom, you don't reveal the whole map at a go, but rather area by area. I presume Descent is the same way? Anyway, I'd want to be able to have these printouts stable, so I'm thinking mount to foamcore. I just don't know enough to know whether or not they fit together that way, or if the mount-to-foam printing and material costs are modest or "more than you might expect". The maps themselves run $15 or so, which is reasonable.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds