October 09, 2023
2598 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2792 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

GenCon Wrap Up

More
09 Aug 2011 16:26 #100997 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
I've been hearing a lot more positive stuff about Blood Bowl than negative. The ratio for that has to be something like 5:1, at least. But that's the only game I've heard that seems to be the belle of the ball. I've seen positive things about Gears of War, but then a cringe at the price tag for a game that seems to have less replayability than what one might expect for that price point.

OTOH, the more I'm hearing about the three FFG items that weren't at the show (Descent 2nd Ed., Rex, Wiz-War), the more interested I'm becoming. Every year I kick myself for not making it down to Gen Con, but some years it may just have been a better idea to stay home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2011 17:37 #100999 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
Did anyone at GenCon get a chance to play Dungeon Run (if it was there)? Is it any good?

More
09 Aug 2011 19:12 #101010 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
Mike's right. From a "sales" perspective, Quarriors was a clear winner and "best of show". But from a "universal lauding" perspective, nada. Nothing was a clear winner.

Gears of War could've been named Gears of Descent into War of Doom.

More
09 Aug 2011 19:15 #101011 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up

SuperflyTNT wrote: Mike's right. From a "sales" perspective, Quarriors was a clear winner and "best of show". But from a "universal lauding" perspective, nada. Nothing was a clear winner.

Was A FEW ACRES OF SNOW anywhere in evidence? At least at WBC, it was the one game that had the most buzz and was one of most frequently played non tourney event games .

As an aside, anyone hear about this at GENCON?

boardgamegeek.com/thread/684156/the-true-gencon-fail/page/1

More
09 Aug 2011 19:25 #101014 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
Seems to me there was a ton of different strokes for different folks type game releases going on this year. Gears sounds good to me, for example, but other people are hating on it. Etc.

More
09 Aug 2011 19:56 #101022 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up

SuperflyTNT wrote: Mike's right. From a "sales" perspective, Quarriors was a clear winner and "best of show". But from a "universal lauding" perspective, nada. Nothing was a clear winner.

Quarriors is fucking awesome-- your ass was just too fucking wasted to notice.

More
09 Aug 2011 20:27 #101029 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up

Msample wrote: As an aside, anyone hear about this at GENCON?

boardgamegeek.com/thread/684156/the-true-gencon-fail/page/1

Oh wow, BGG hilarity galore!

"My general rule is that if its not currently in print, then it does not leave the house. "

"And you can police it. It's what the police are for actually." - To serve and protect printed pieces of cardboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Aug 2011 20:43 #101030 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
I did get a copy of Rune Age yesterday. I like the look of it a lot--and it might become my deckbuilder of choice.

Personally, I'm trying to beg Zev for a copy of Quest. That is still my top pick from Gencon, sight unseen. There is a German video review that I can follow just enough of to work out that it is a crazed paragraph-based simple minis RPG, but with standups. For anyone that wants a Tales of the Arabian Nights / Heroscape crossover.

More
09 Aug 2011 23:18 - 09 Aug 2011 23:18 #101041 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
Report back to us on Runeage. I'm curious to see what the F:ATties think. If there's a single genre I don't trust mainstream BGG opinion on, it's deckbuilding games, so input here would be nice.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2011 23:18 by Gary Sax.

More
10 Aug 2011 02:08 #101050 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up
Quarriors is great. Lots of creatures to summon. Spells. Fistfulls of specialty dice. It's a light game, but there's plenty of decision making and it's fast.

More
10 Aug 2011 02:59 #101051 by lfisher
Replied by lfisher on topic Re: GenCon Wrap Up

moofrank wrote: I did get a copy of Rune Age yesterday. I like the look of it a lot--and it might become my deckbuilder of choice.

Personally, I'm trying to beg Zev for a copy of Quest. That is still my top pick from Gencon, sight unseen. There is a German video review that I can follow just enough of to work out that it is a crazed paragraph-based simple minis RPG, but with standups. For anyone that wants a Tales of the Arabian Nights / Heroscape crossover.

This guy reviewed Quest from GenCon and loved it
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/683791/my-d...-ultimate-boardgamer

I wasn't at GenCon, but played Rune Age over the weekend. We only got to try the co-op scenario (though it also has a backstab solo victory event). It was definitely better than I expected and I'd like to play more.

LOVED Ares Project. It's like a dudes on a map or neuroshima game, without the actual map.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engelstein

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds