October 09, 2023
2603 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2803 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Why Isn't There a F:AT Convention

More
08 Feb 2012 20:46 #115654 by repoman
When we talk of it getting expensive. What are the realistic figures? I understand there would be some finacial risk as in any venture. But are we talking hundreds or thousands? With some decent promotion, I don't think 100 people would be that difficult a number to reach. Hell, Unity had over 500 and that is just for one day and almost zip in the promo department.

Obviously I have no experience in these things which is why I ask.

Avery, how many people usually show up for your Trash Fest?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2012 21:39 #115664 by Stephen Avery
I think it is doable too. However the inexpensive and convenient are major stumbling points. I think we had about 15 out of towners come in. 11 stayed at my place 3 at hotels and 3 at freinds houses. We glommed it onto one of Launius' monthly game events at his clubhouse which run 40-80 people. At 50 the place is pretty full.

There are several other game gatherings or that size and smaller that take place around ATL. The big (boardgame) one is Ward Batty's gamefest. Ward is a gaming icon in Atlanta and hosting a game con not associated with him would draw friction from a portion of ATL (granted a mostly eurogame playing portion.)

I've thought about a con at the gwinette center. The place is huge, with lots of hotels and resturaunts within walking distance. To hedge bets on attendance I would contact RPG groups and Warhammer
But- it is 50 mins away from the airport with no (good) mass transit.

Stven Carlsburn hosts an (really very good) invitational near the airport. He charges $40 and breaks even on it- though he does always supply a copius amount of snacks/bottled water /ect. Attendance hovers around a little over 100ish (though I've missed the last two.) I don't think the rooms are too expensive but you have to make minimum or pay for them out of pocket.

So that is the situation. Totally doable if there is enough interest. A long time ago I got a bunch of quotes when Barnes and I were kicking around the idea. It is not too tough- just takes committment, money and a bit of legwork.

Steve"Thining bout it"Avery

More
08 Feb 2012 22:08 #115666 by scissors
That's cool that you guys are discussing Montreal is a great choice, especially to mix up your stay with more than just games but hitting the old town and plateau area and st laurent and st denis street which usedto have some pretty good retaurants and bars. F:AT North - if it happened you could do a lot worse than Mtl. Hell, you cold even catch a Habs game, altho reading the standings they are having one hell of a shitty season this year. As in miss the playoffs quality. wtf happened?!

More
08 Feb 2012 23:24 #115676 by Fallen

scissors wrote: That's cool that you guys are discussing Montreal is a great choice, especially to mix up your stay with more than just games but hitting the old town and plateau area and st laurent and st denis street which usedto have some pretty good retaurants and bars. F:AT North - if it happened you could do a lot worse than Mtl. Hell, you cold even catch a Habs game, altho reading the standings they are having one hell of a shitty season this year. As in miss the playoffs quality. wtf happened?!

Bob fucking Gainey & Pierre fucking Gauthier happened to the Montreal Canadians. Ill-conceived trades for flat footed, prima Donna, euro's has been the cause for the empires collapse. Gionta, Gomez, Markov, Kostytsin & Bourque are all big busts, or soon to be, bust players kicking the shit out of our cap. It's a dark time for Habs fans.

More
08 Feb 2012 23:25 #115677 by Ancient_of_MuMu
If someone does organize a FATcon, I will do my best to make it over from Oz. It has been too long since I have had a decent international trip, and I need a stupid excuse to have one.

More
08 Feb 2012 23:54 - 08 Feb 2012 23:55 #115679 by OldHippy

Fallen wrote: It's a dark time for Habs fans.

About fuckin time. Habs fans have been spoiled for too long. Maybe one day you can suffer as I've suffered. A born and raised Leaf fan. BTW, we're loving Grabovski over here.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2012 23:55 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
09 Feb 2012 00:49 #115683 by bfkiller
My conundrum with traveling to go to a convention: if I were to visit Montreal, the last thing I'd want to do is play board games. I enjoy touristy stuff too much.

More
09 Feb 2012 03:38 #115692 by ubarose

repoman wrote: When we talk of it getting expensive. What are the realistic figures? I understand there would be some finacial risk as in any venture. But are we talking hundreds or thousands? With some decent promotion, I don't think 100 people would be that difficult a number to reach. Hell, Unity had over 500 and that is just for one day and almost zip in the promo department.

Obviously I have no experience in these things which is why I ask.

Avery, how many people usually show up for your Trash Fest?

Event space at a hotel is about $10-$20 per person per full day. Space for 30-50 on weekends is easier to find and less expensive than space for 100, unless you are willing to break up into two or three rooms. Around here you could do 30-50 people for Friday evening - Sunday afternoon for about $1500 (less with a discount for number of guest rooms booked per night - usually discounts start at 10 rooms per night). It's often a better deal to pay for some food and get the event room for free. For example a space for 40 on Friday evening might be $300 to rent the room, but spend $500 on finger food and have a cash bar and you get the room for free, and attendees feel like they are getting FREE FOOD.

So you rent space for 50. You charge $50 for Fri-Sun badge, and $20 for a single day. If only get 20 people you're out of pocket $500. If you get 30, you break even. If you get 40 they get FREE FOOD Friday night. If you get 50 they get free food Friday night and you have money to roll over into expanding next year.

More
09 Feb 2012 19:00 #115770 by quozl
Hey, how about a Fortress Ameritrash logo I can print out and wear on my con badge when I'm at other cons?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, san il defanso

More
09 Feb 2012 19:32 - 09 Feb 2012 19:35 #115774 by scissors
Sorry to hijack the con thread but...JJ you're a Leafs fan?!! That is suffering. Great rivalry between Mtl and Toronto tho :)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 19:35 by scissors.

More
10 Feb 2012 00:32 #115808 by Black Barney
MTL is only being polite to consider Toronto a rivalry. It's more of a fan rivalry than a team rivalry. Our real rivals are Boston and, in recent history, Philly. Toronto is just embarassing. And yeah, you can laugh at Montreal this season. But that's about it. I can laugh at Toronto over the entire history of the NHL

More
10 Feb 2012 02:32 - 10 Feb 2012 02:46 #115815 by OldHippy

Black Barney wrote: MTL is only being polite to consider Toronto a rivalry. It's more of a fan rivalry than a team rivalry. Our real rivals are Boston and, in recent history, Philly. Toronto is just embarassing. And yeah, you can laugh at Montreal this season. But that's about it. I can laugh at Toronto over the entire history of the NHL

I cannot be blamed for thread jacking on this one. He is flaming me directly and I cannot not respond!

Toronto has been ok during my life. Not the worst team not the best and never won a cup or even played for one. They've made it to the round before the cup a number of times but...

the entire history of the NHL. That's just nonsense. First of all until the 50's Toronto was the most winning team in the NHL and they were the first ever to win three in a row. Montreal's rivalry was with Toronto by far. Toronto Detroit and Montreal Boston were not as popular until later. On top of that Montreal got to pick all Quebecois players without anyone else choosing (which was half of hockeydom at the time) for decades and it was an unfair advantage. The rest of the players were shared between the other 5 teams.

Toronto still to this day has the second most Stanley Cups of all time. Hardly could they be made fun of over the "entire history of the NHL" and on top of that their fans don't boo every former player when they come to town, they're more respectful and classy than that. The Habs just haven't been the same since their fans treated Roy like crap.

Also they are the most Iconic hockey team by far, maybe along with the Habs but the Leafs are the most valuable franchise in the NHL (Rangers than Habs after that) as well.

Without the Leafs... it's just not Hockey. Lastly... the fans haven't done shit, you can cheer any team on just by switching teams whenever you like. But I was born in TO and grew up with it, met Borje Salming as a kid and can't let the fandom go.

So suck it Barney!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 02:46 by OldHippy.

More
10 Feb 2012 04:46 #115823 by Black Barney
lol, nice. yay hockey fans.

I was in this big university trivia night a couple months ago and it was about who got the 2nd most stanley cups. I was against some professors and stuff and my answer was Toronto and I got BOOED by the Montreal student crowd, lol. THen the quizmaster tells me I'm correct and the other guys were wrong (they said Rangers and maybe Chicago, I can't remember) and the crowd got all quiet, it was funny.

but most iconic team in the NHL? Surely you jest

I actually grew up with the Jets in Winnipeg and met Dale Hauerchuck and such. I only got into the Habs right after they won their last Stanley Cup. So it's been a rough 15 years. I feel like a Toronto fan or something

More
10 Feb 2012 06:09 #115828 by SemiColon
Try being a life long Vancouver fan.

More
10 Feb 2012 11:35 #115844 by jur

SemiColon wrote: Try being a life long Vancouver fan.

oh come on, Vancouver doesn't even exist that long

But looking forward to more riots this year (will wear my lucky Burrows shirt this time)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds