October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WAM - The Card Driven War Game Con

More
04 Jan 2011 21:54 #83518 by Dogmatix
KingPut wrote:

Dogmatix if you, Sag, Flim, etc come down I'm planning on blowing off the tournment to play some open card driven games with hacks like me. My first choice would be Here I Stand if we can get 6. If not we can just play some 2 player game. Maybe have Sword of Rome, Wellington or Succesors ready to go if we end up with a odd number of people.

I think Washington War will have a good range of talent. I didn't think it was as scripted as TS and PoG.

I'd make the trip for HIS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2011 12:28 #83555 by Bernie
Not too much experience with the games, but if you need a body i am close have a desire to learn HiS amoung others.

More
22 Jan 2011 02:16 #85360 by KingPut
First the bad news: I'm now kind of unsure if we'll be able to pull off playing Here I Stand next weekend. I'm only counting 4-5 players.

Now the good news from Volko Ruhnke - I can bring my prototype to WAM. I'll be there just for Saturday to offer an informal LABYRINTH event (with giveaways!), but I'll bring my new prototype ANDEAN ABYSS along as well.

Andrean Abyss - Write up on TOS:

Colombia: Nation at the Edge of Abyss

Colombia in the 1990s hosted one of the world’s last Marxist guerrilla armies, brutal drug lords, and right-wing death squads and appeared close to failing as a state. A decade later, its Marxists had lost their top leaders and rural sanctuary, its big drug bosses were dead or in prison, and its paramilitaries were negotiating demobilization. The Government had extended its writ to most of the countryside, restored its popularity, and improved the economy and respect for human rights.

Andean Abyss takes 1 to 4 players into this multifaceted campaign for control of Colombia: guerrillas and police, kidnapping and drug war, military sweeps and terror. Each of four factions deploys distinct capabilities and tactics to influence Colombian affairs and achieve differing goals. Players place and maneuver 160 wooden pieces across a colorful map and exploit event cards that cannot be fully predicted. Accessible mechanics and components put the emphasis on game play, but Andean Abyss also provides an engrossing model of insurgency and counterinsurgency in Colombia—smoothly accounting for population control, lines of communication, terrain, intelligence, foreign aid, sanctuaries, and a host of other political, military, and economic factors.

A New Kind of Card-Assisted Wargame

From the award-winning designer of Wilderness War and Labyrinth, Andean Abyss features unique mechanics relating events and operations that guarantee difficult player decisions with each card flip. Most of the game’s 72 events are dual-use, representing alternative historical paths: players can choose either version of the event or from an array of operations and special faction activities. Every choice has implications for how the next card will be played. There is no hand management: the focus is on the map and on planning for the foreseeable—and the unforeseeable. Die rolls are only a small part of game: the key to victory is not luck but the ability to organize the most effective campaign.

Multiplayer, 2-Player, Solitaire

Andean Abyss provides up to 4 players with contrasting roles and overlapping victory conditions for rich diplomatic interaction. For 2- or 3-player games, players can represent alliances of factions, or the game system can control non-player factions . Or a single player as the Colombian Government can take on the leftist FARC, the right-wing AUC, and the narco-trafficking cartels. The non-player insurgents will fight one another as well as the players, but too much power in the hands of any one of them will mean player defeat.

COIN Series, Volume I

Andean Abyss presents a game system on modern insurgency readily adaptable to other conflicts, particularly those featuring the interaction of many sides (thus our new COunterINsurgency series). A rich and under-represented history of 20th-Century guerrilla warfare beckons. Next up for Volume II: BUSH WAR—Insurgency and Counterinsurgency in Southern Africa.

More
22 Jan 2011 08:27 #85365 by Msample
I think I have one other player interested in HiS, Justin Rice - he knows the game very well and will be attending, if that helps get us to the magic 6 person mark.

More
22 Jan 2011 11:26 #85369 by KingPut
Msample wrote:

I think I have one other player interested in HiS, Justin Rice - he knows the game very well and will be attending, if that helps get us to the magic 6 person mark.

That'll help. How about a noon start time?

More
22 Jan 2011 12:53 #85372 by Dogmatix
Msample wrote:

Rice is one of Ed Beach's playtest crew and a thorough HIS (and GCACW) shark. I've played a few F2F and PBEM games with him. He's a truly good dude but I strongly suggest we spike his drink early to keep the game competitive ;)

So, noon on Saturday for HIS? I'm going to make it an up-n-back 1-day run so I want to be sure I know what's going on

More
27 Jan 2011 11:45 #86032 by grimnir
I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.

Primary focus will be the rounds of Combat Commander. Looking forward to pickup games of Hearts and Minds, C&C: Napoleonics, Washington's War, and to trying out Wilderness War (must finish reading the rules today!).

Chad

More
29 Jan 2011 00:57 - 29 Jan 2011 00:58 #86323 by KingPut
Friday was my first day at WAM. Overall, it seemed like a pretty good turn out despite the snow. I had a choice between playing 2 games of Washington's War or 1 game of Hannibal during the day. I decided to sign up for WWr. Unfortunately, I ended up matched up against James Pei, who has won a huge number of card driven war game tournaments. He's probably won more tournaments than I've played games. Luckily, we randomly rolled for sides and I ended up with the British (the side I better at playing). The first 2 years were going great. I sacked the Continental Congress, I played the Penn-line mutiny, I really had him on the ropes. Than he ended up playing the Declaration of Independence in 1777 and the game got a lot tougher after getting a couple years with totally crappy hands. He ended up pulling out the victory in 1780 (9 - 4) but I was within 1 PC marker of taking 3 states.

I redeemed myself by winning as the Americans in the 2nd game of WWr.

Friday night I ended up blowing off the Hannibal tournment to play Labyrinth. As the Jihadist I ended up getting a nuke into the US. The US player only had 1 card, luck for him it was 3 ops so he was able to foil my plot.

I think were all set for playing HIS Saturday at noon.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2011 00:58 by KingPut.

More
29 Jan 2011 12:17 #86346 by Gary Sax
Wow, that is a tough player. He wins TONS of CDG tourneys.

More
30 Jan 2011 01:41 #86373 by Dogmatix
grimnir wrote:

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.

Primary focus will be the rounds of Combat Commander. Looking forward to pickup games of Hearts and Minds, C&C: Napoleonics, Washington's War, and to trying out Wilderness War (must finish reading the rules today!).

Chad

Did you have a copy of Bonaparte @ Marengo for sale? If so, I'm the guy with the ponytail and glasses that bought it from you Saturday night. Nice to meet you :)

More
31 Jan 2011 20:07 - 31 Jan 2011 20:08 #86510 by grimnir
That was indeed me selling Bonaparte at Marengo. Nice to meet you as well.

My WAM gaming on Fri-Sat in a nutshell:

2 pickup games of Washington's War

1 game of Manoeuvre

4 games of C&C: Napoleonics

1 game of Innovation (thumbs down)

4 games in the Combat Commander tourney -- lost in the final
Last edit: 31 Jan 2011 20:08 by grimnir.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds