October 09, 2023
2543 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Which Cons are fun?

More
27 Jan 2011 08:41 - 27 Jan 2011 09:16 #85990 by Stephen Avery
I posted something like this a year ago. Most people like:

Origns - My favorite. Great Boardgamer con because of the Board Game Room and the Brewhouse upstairs. lots of space for open gaming. Plenty of other stuff to do if you want to do some RPG's, or minis. Lots of vendors

GenCon - Best Shopping Con. The vendor hall is enormous and expansive in variety. The place is huge and thronging with people. Most events are organized and open gaming is harder to find. Gaming rooms are sponsored by different companies. (The Rio Grande room, the AEG room, ect.)

BGGCon - I haven't been but from what I've gleaned this is one of the best board gaming con. There is an great library of games and most of the gaming is open gaming. Vendor space are limited. The place is packed and space is at a premium

WBC - the favorite con of many F:Atties because of the convience to the north East USA and a tradition of great gaming and hard drinking. Another con I have yet to try.

So what about some of these other cons? KublaCon? ChimereaCon? PAX East? Are there and F:Attie Favorites? and why?

Steve"ConSlut"Avery
Last edit: 27 Jan 2011 09:16 by Stephen Avery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2011 10:05 - 27 Jan 2011 10:48 #86001 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I've been to GenCon, Origins, DragonCon, KublaCon,BGGCon, and WBC once(and a bunch of other smaller cons). Origins is what I call the jack of all trades, a little of everything, but not a lot of one thing. But for my RPG fix, I would always pick GenCon. Not even sure they still do DragonCon anymore, but maybe they do. I haven't been to that one since the early 90's. GenCon I wasn't a huge fan of, and usually went as an industry person back when I was working for wargame west distro. It's cool to see all the new stuff though. But again, been years since I went to that one. KublaCon has been a while, but that was a nice medium sized con for RPG'ing. Played many a session of Traveller there.I've only been to WBC once, and I think that is all I will ever do. It was too structured, competitive, and rushed for my liking. Of course BGGCon, for me, is the new king of cons. Even though it doesn't fill any of my RPG needs, or miniature needs. We here in Austin have MilleniumCon the week before BGGCon that does everything that BGG doesn't do. So that works out great.

I hear UnityGames is pretty good, but have yet to venture forth. And the Gathering is well, one I'll probably never get a chance to attend.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2011 10:48 by Chapel.

More
27 Jan 2011 10:27 #86005 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
GenCon was great in the earlier days, up until the late '90s. Not only was the Great Hall of Shopping impressive, but there were lots of events, and you could often get in to an event just by showing up at the last minute with a generic ticket, due to no-shows or conflicts involving tournament advancement. And there was plenty of space set aside for open gaming. You could buy a game, grab an empty table, skim the rules, start setting up and soon be playing with friends and/or strangers. Since then, free gaming space has become more limited, events tend to book up and stayed booked, and the whole experience feels more corporate and sterile.

I sometimes go to Convergence, a local science-fiction convention. The open gaming is okay, though they turn off the lights at 6:00 PM, so we had to finish a big game of BSG by the light of cellphone screens in '09. There is a lot of costuming going on, though not as extreme as at DragonCon. The best party is the Saturday night party scene, where there are two hotel floors worth of open and mostly free room parties. In '09, Absolut sponsored a party room and offered free shots of flavored vodka to anybody legal. Convergence is kind of like a weird class reunion for me, as every year I tend to run into somewhere between 30 and 60 people that I know from gaming: role-players, boardgamers, CCG players, and Vampire LARP folks.

More
27 Jan 2011 10:32 #86008 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I always have a good time at NashCon. A smaller convention but a lot of good people. Mostly historical miniatures but always some fantasy and sci fi stuff too.

More
27 Jan 2011 10:34 #86009 by Stephen Avery
Heh- I have yet to attend DragonCon despite it being in ATL. I hear it is more of a SciFy con than a gmaers con. However the game room population has been increasing over the years so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Right now ATLGamefest is going on too, which is straight board games. When Ward decided to cut one day passes to increase his bottom line I decided to pass. I just can't see paying $45 for one day of gaming with people I game with all the time. None the less it is pretty well attended since there is nothing much else in Atlanta and Ward Batty is well connected.

I have some friends in Boston I might be able to stay with to go to UnityGames. It won't be this year though. I've already maxed out my gaming schedule.

Steve"ConSlut"Avery

More
27 Jan 2011 10:53 #86013 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
WBC is two cons. The real one runs from 8am to 10pm. The unreal one runs from 8pm to 10am. I recommend the second one.

S.

More
27 Jan 2011 11:04 #86018 by san il defanso
I actually went to my first con last year, the KC Game Fair. It was basically a 40K and D&D convention, with a couple games of Dominion thrown in. I did score a used copy of Fury of Dracula though, so it wasn't a total wash.

More
27 Jan 2011 11:09 #86021 by Stephen Avery

I sometimes go to Convergence, a local science-fiction convention. The open gaming is okay, though they turn off the lights at 6:00 PM, so we had to finish a big game of BSG by the light of cellphone screens in '09. There is a lot of costuming going on, though not as extreme as at DragonCon. The best party is the Saturday night party scene, where there are two hotel floors worth of open and mostly free room parties. In '09, Absolut sponsored a party room and offered free shots of flavored vodka to anybody legal. Convergence is kind of like a weird class reunion for me, as every year I tend to run into somewhere between 30 and 60 people that I know from gaming: role-players, boardgamers, CCG players, and Vampire LARP folks.

Now that sounds like just my speed. Especially the free vodka. But what do you do when they turn off the lights? Does everyone go back to their room to game? It sounds like a lot of fun but with an abrupt ending.

Steve"What? No happy ending?!?!?"Avery

More
27 Jan 2011 11:24 #86024 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
Don't forget Comic-Con...they have some really cool shit there, but it's not exactly board-game-centric.

There's a Transformers convention called Bot-Con that I went to on someone's dime as a reporter. That was one of the funniest things ever...saw this sucked up Reiner Knizia looking guy...turns out he was the voice of Optimus Prime. The man was maybe 5'6" and 100 pounds, soaking wet. Never would've imagined. Anyhow, the best thing there was the T-shirts.

More
27 Jan 2011 11:39 #86028 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
Sagrilarus wrote:

WBC is two cons. The real one runs from 8am to 10pm. The unreal one runs from 8pm to 10am. I recommend the second one.

S.

Yeah. WBC has it's public face, which is the structured tournaments and demos. Then it has all the other stuff going on behind that which tends to start in the late afternoon, and then picks up speed as the night progresses. The trick is to get adopted by a group of people that suit your style and that knows the ropes.

More
27 Jan 2011 11:39 #86029 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I've been to GenCon and Origins. Origins was considerably smaller. I've never really played games at either of them, mostly hanging out in the dealer halls, so of course for me GenCon was much more impressive.

I'm going back to GenCon this year, and will probably just do a Saturday at Origins since it's only 90 minutes from me.

More
27 Jan 2011 11:47 #86034 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
ubarose wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

Yeah. WBC has it's public face, which is the structured tournaments and demos. Then it has all the other stuff going on behind that which tends to start in the late afternoon, and then picks up speed as the night progresses. The trick is to get adopted by a group of people that suit your style and that knows the ropes.

I concur! The one time I made it - that's what I did. Organized gaming's for squares!

More
27 Jan 2011 12:00 #86039 by MattFantastic
Getting up early and still way drunk to play in the TI3 tournament is glorious. Otherwise, I concur with everyone else about WBC, totally awesome.

PAX East was a ton of fun last year, but not much boardgaming to be done. They have a library and open tables, but it's really so much more focused on the video games. WotC also has a good presence and all the stuff I ran was full. If you dig video games along with the analog, you'll have a great time.

New York Comic Con pretty much only has WotC as far as analog gaming really goes. There are some vendors and stuff, but it's more of a shopping/event/demo based convention. Lots of cool stuff, but I wouldn't go for all three days just as an attendee.

ConnCon is just the greatest convention of all time. That's why so many cool Fatties are coming.

As long as the dates work I'm planning to go to Origins for WotC this year, but that will be my first time.

More
27 Jan 2011 12:08 #86041 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I live near GenCon, so I always attend. I only went once when it was in Milwaukee. I always enjoy it, but it is definitely becoming more corporate. There is still lots of open gaming space, but you have to know where to look. Mostly we play open games in the giant CCG hall. There are always empty sections that we use. The library is decent and I usually get to try some new stuff there every year (Friedrich this year).

I live pretty close to Origins, so I keep saying I will go, but haven't yet. I've heard the library is fantastic though.

I go to a local free con, WhosYerCon. It is a nice time with open gaming relatively easy to find except on Saturday afternoon and early evening when things are running full steam.

I've been to DragonCon once for a big Vs. CCG event. I played some other CCG stuff, but don't know about the board gaming. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. The dealer room wasn't great compared to GenCon, but it definitely has a different flavor.

More
27 Jan 2011 12:17 #86046 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
Chapel wrote:

I hear UnityGames is pretty good, but have yet to venture forth. And the Gathering is well, one I'll probably never get a chance to attend.

I don't like Unity Games. It's the antithesis of AT gaming culture, and the zenith of everything that annoys me about Euro gaming culture. If your goal is to play as many games as possible in one day, with minimal downtime socializing between games, and aren't picky about who you play with, it's perfect.

It's one huge room with rows of tables, so full and so close together that walking around anywhere except the main aisles is difficult. With all the bowed heads and the relative quite of the room compared to other cons I've been to, it seems more like a room full of people taking their SATs than a game con. The procedure is to silently stand in the middle of the room with the game cover of a the game you want to play raised above your head. People who want to play that game come and stand beside you until you have gathered a large enough group. You go and play. Game breaks up, group splits and people join a group for the next game.

The up side is that it's not cliquish, and you can play a lot of games in one day, with a lot of different people. The downside is that it paradoxically discourages socializing as everyone there is focused on playing as many games as they can in one day, so there is very little socializing in game, and little time spent between games hanging out. So it's not my thing, but pretty much my entire game club loves it and are heading up there this weekend

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds