October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2747 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Which Cons are fun?

More
27 Jan 2011 12:41 #86053 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
Yeah, I pretty much agree with uba's assessment of Unity. The main reasons I go are that it's the only con within reasonable driving distance (2 hours for me in rural VT), and I get to hang out and play games with some old Quarter to Three messageboard friends that I never get to see otherwise. Someone's living room would be preferable, but Unity is a relatively central location for all of us to gather, and paying $15 each so we don't have to worry about bothering anybody else in the house while we play games from 9am to midnight is worth it for us.

I'm really going to try to make it to ConnCon this year, but it'll require some delicate spousal negotiation and I'm waiting for the right time to bring it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2011 13:08 #86060 by Stephen Avery

I don't like Unity Games. It's the antithesis of AT gaming culture, and the zenith of everything that annoys me about Euro gaming culture. If your goal is to play as many games as possible in one day, with minimal downtime socializing between games, and aren't picky about who you play with, it's perfect.

Ouch.

So, I take it my antics would not go over well there?

Jason, I didn't know you were in rural Vermont. I have a good freind there. Joel Abbott who moved from ATL to upstate Vermont. He's pretty funny with an understated sense of humor and great tastes in games. You guys should hook up for some gaming.

Steve"Social liaison"Avery

More
27 Jan 2011 13:09 #86061 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I agree with Uba and Jason about Unity. If a huge single room with 300 people, over half of which are playing one of the top 5 games on BGG like Small World , then have at it. AT was few and far between . All I saw was our game of Runewars and another game of Fortress America.

The other thing that amuses me is that people feel obligated to bring as many games as they can humanly carry and stack them up in piles all around the edges of the room. 90% of them never get played. I brought about 3.

Conn Con is the same weekend as GMT East, which I have been attending for the last 10 years, or I'd go and check it out.

More
27 Jan 2011 13:10 #86062 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
The only "con" that I've ever been to is Trashfest South '10/Averyfest '10. Not really a "con", I guess...but maybe that's why I liked it. I was able to fit it in with a conference...but it was a blast.

(Trying to fit in ConnCon with some work in a similar way)

Of course, Steve's hospitality made it that way. Not sure how much I would enjoy going into a "con" cold---with no one that I knew or wanted to have anything to do with me. I think that sometimes is the drawback of a convention.

(Of course, I went to a sci-fi convention back in the early 1980s at Ramapo College in NJ...that about scarred me from non-academic conferences/conventions for life before Averyfest)

More
27 Jan 2011 13:12 #86063 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
Matt and WDGrant, we should seriously consider getting a F:ATtie contingent going at Origins. I'm heading up at least for a day, and we MUST get a game of Rush N' Crush in at a minimum.

More
27 Jan 2011 13:56 #86078 by Stephen Avery
Thanks Merk! You haven't seen nothing yet! :D

We had a good crowd of ATers at Origins. I was rounding people up left and right but it also caused me to bail on a couple of games. I'm A.D.D anyway so that was fine for me but I hate that I spread myself thin.

Last year we had about 10-20 that drifted in and out.

Steve"Social Butterfly"Avery

More
27 Jan 2011 14:37 #86085 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
That would be very cool Superfly. I need to do some checking to see if I can definitely attend this year. I will be sure do get in touch if I make it.

More
27 Jan 2011 21:26 #86137 by MattFantastic
If I end up at Origins, I'm working for someone one way or another. No way can I swing paying to go with travel, hotel and all that. So, no idea what kind of free time I'd have. If it's WotC, I'll be pretty busy most of the time. If it's a vendor, I'll be free in the evenings.

More
28 Jan 2011 13:50 #86227 by Stephen Avery
Then we'll all gather around and snigger at you. while we trapse around loaded with games and merchandise. Then we'll start asking annoying questions.

"I'd like to see that one at the top. No, the one at the very top. this one has a small scratch on the cover."

"I can't possibly buy this. Two stalls down they have it for $.05 cents less..."

"When you were demoing that you did it incorectly. IT clearly states on page 34 that
that action caused an attack of opportunity"

"No, thats not it...the next one up.."

"I don't get it. Can you explain that again?"

"Ihavealevel42wizard,Ihavealevel42wizard,Ihavealevel42wizard,Ihavealevel42wizard"

Steve"Can't wait to see Loter working at WotC"Avery

More
28 Jan 2011 15:21 #86243 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I have to agree with Merk about Averyfest'10- if was a blast. There's some kind of weird singularity happening in the ATL region where there is a large group of cool gamers, designers, and collectors all squeazed into the same geographic area.

I've been going to Gencon for, almost, every year since '06 and Averyfest is the only "con" I'm hitting this year. I can't wait to see Avery in his jammies again.

More
28 Jan 2011 16:10 #86252 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
I always found fast talking people at the airport for a flight to be a great con.

More
29 Jan 2011 06:29 #86329 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
WBC is the only one worth the travel time and expense for me. Yes, there are serious competitors around playing in tournaments, but the real action starts later in the huge open gaming hall. With precons, it runs for a good 10 days, so I can get my moneys worth out of it.

Lots of serious drinking which is also really important if you live in a place where alcohol is illegal. Thoroughly enjoyed myself every year I've gone. I like how all that shopping bollocks is confined to a relatively smallish room leaving the rest of the space for gaming. Good games library as well...

Loter, you'd better be coming. Boy we have some drinking and fighting demons to do !!

Anyone else who is up for it....I'll be in the bar for 10 days...cheers!!

More
29 Jan 2011 12:04 #86344 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Which Cons are fun?
WBC is a great con for several reasons:

It's just boardgames. No comics, no anime, no larpers, no video games, no furries.

It's moderately sized, at about a couple thousand people. Most local board game only cons are around 300 people, usually in just a room or two. WBC is big enough that it takes over the entire resort, with many rooms and many things going on. But it's not so huge that you get the crazy, creepy of the huge multi-subculture cons.

It's held a resort, so in addition to games, you can play golf, tennis, hike, swim.

It's family friendly, with activities and trips for non-gaming spouses and kids, including being very close to three amusement parks, as well as being in the heart of PA Dutch Country.

It has a Jrs. program which is like summer camp for gamer kids.

It has a wide variety of games and gamers. From wargamers who will spend the entire week playing a single game to party gamers who participate in the big Wit's and Wagers competition.

It has two really nice bars, one of which is poolside.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds