October 09, 2023
2592 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2787 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Austin Board Game Bash

More
24 Jun 2011 16:40 - 24 Jun 2011 16:50 #98480 by Mr. White
Until a proper TrashFest SW takes off, how about all the Central Texas area F:ATties (and anyone else!) meet up at the first ever Austin Board Game Bash Aug 13-14th?

I know there are several F:ATties in the area, so hopefully we can finally tag up while supporting the launch of this hoping-to-be-annual event.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2011 16:50 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2011 17:42 #98484 by metalface13
That could be cool. I got really excited at first because I thought that was the Double Tree right by my apartment, still not far away though. $20 is kind of pricey, so I'll see. Could make up for not going to Gen Con.

How'd your Mordheim game go last night? I'm dying to hear more. I'm also currently obsessing about Necromunda.

More
24 Jun 2011 17:48 #98486 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Austin Board Game Bash
I'll be there. I'd be up for a long session of TI:3 or some Game of Thrones, or whatever.

More
24 Jun 2011 17:54 #98487 by metalface13
Oh man, my desire to play Twilight Imperium has been on the surge again, too. I've never played, but I'd probably pay $20 for the chance to play it.

More
24 Jun 2011 19:23 - 24 Jun 2011 20:11 #98493 by Mr. White
I've never played TI3, so could perhaps be interested in a game.

I'd also be up from bringing some terrain in if y'all wanted to do some minis gaming. That, and I'm still interested in that Gamma World which seems like a got fit for conventions. I know these aren't 'boardgames', but whatevs.

So, between this, Conan at the Drafthouse, and Camping Gaming this fall looks good to be an Austin F:ATtie. Chapel, you wanna plan one of these and I'll take the other?

Regarding the end of our mordheim campaign...it was awesome. We played the Breakthrough scenario from the core rulebook. The Skaven and Undead had to get four models through the other side of the table. We (Middenhiemers and Reiklanders) could set up pretty much anywhere. It looked like it was going to be a walk in the park for the forces of chaos. We were outnumbered and out equipped. My Reiklanders did pretty terrible throughout the campaign, but their crossbows came to life in this one.

We positioned ourselves in towers and roof tops, while the Middenheimers took to he streets. In the early game the Middenheimers were getting slaughtered, but then my crossbow henchmen went on about a three turn run where they couldn't miss. Dropped the vampire and a warlock on one turn, then some skaven heroes the next. One skaven was running by, getting close to the edge, so two henchmen jumped off the roof for diving charges. One broke his neck, the other was killed in melee. At this point we were all starting to be required to make routing tests (being the last scenario of the campaign, no one voluntarily routed.)

The skaven failed their check, then on the following turn so did I. It came down to one lone Middenheimer champion (_that_ warband got destroyed) and two hired swords being outnumbered by the undead, but without the vampires leadership, they bottled. A win for the Empire. Totally not what any of us what have guessed.

This doesn't do the emotions of the game any justice. Here's some photos .
Last edit: 24 Jun 2011 20:11 by Mr. White.

More
24 Jun 2011 19:32 #98496 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Austin Board Game Bash

Jeff White wrote: Camping Gaming this fall looks good to be an Austin F:ATtie. Chapel, you wanna plan one of these and I'll take the other?

I am already working on a plan for the Game Camp this fall. Have a bunch of interested parties around here already. I'll send out details when it gets a little closer.

More
24 Jun 2011 20:19 #98500 by Mr. White
Alright, I'll take the much easier Conan and let you know when my group decides to go.

More
24 Jun 2011 20:42 #98503 by metalface13
Awesome report. Salivating at the chance to play.

More
25 Jun 2011 01:23 #98515 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re: Austin Board Game Bash
We are hoping to make this but we might be hauling my kid's stuff up to college in Colorado then. I really, REALLY have a hankering to play more Mansions of Madness.

More
25 Jun 2011 01:26 #98516 by SusanR
Hmmm. This event needs a flea market. We need to unload some games.

More
25 Jun 2011 03:13 #98517 by Mr. White

SusanR wrote: Hmmm. This event needs a flea market. We need to unload some games.

I'd recommend getting involved with Give to Game if you want to unload in the Austin area.

More
25 Jun 2011 04:24 #98522 by daveroswell
I'd be there, but I think I'm still lost on Peachtree Boulevard somewhere in Atlanta....

More
27 Jul 2011 19:20 #100266 by infallible
Hey, guys. I'm Jonathan, and I'm organizing Board Game Bash. I found the discussion through Google, and thought I'd stop by. (Thanks for posting this, Jeff!)

One of my priorities was to have the game room open all night to accommodate big games like Twilight or Galactica or GoT. I made sure to have a few large, round tables in my room diagram with the hotel just for these big games. Also, if you want to play Gamma World, then bring it and play! Doesn't matter that it's not a "board" game.

I'd have loved to do a flea market or trade, but I didn't think I'd have enough room to do it. Though I'm hoping to do something like that next year.

And as an aside, I have a section of the website to post about local gaming groups. If you're looking for players, I'd be happy to post your group on there. Just let me know at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Lastly, SusanR, I'll have my demo copy of Mansions of Madness at Board Game Bash if you make it out. But if you can't, I've been bringing it to South Austin Game Night on Tuesday evenings, so if you need to scratch that itch, you can come out there.

More
30 Jul 2011 14:42 #100454 by Mr. White
F:ATties,

A no ship math trade has been added as well as scheduled games of Descent and Twilight Imperium.
www.boardgamebash.com/schedule

When does everyone plan on attending? I'm there on Saturday for sure. Sunday is looking unlikely. I'm hoping to meet some of y'all so chime in.

More
09 Aug 2011 02:41 #100964 by SusanR
Woot! The weekend is free and my S.O. and I plan on going both days. Mansions of Madness still sounds good (thanks for bringing a copy, Jonathan) and maybe Wrath of Ashardalon. I still haven't gotten a chance to play Runewars yet either, or the latest Arkham Horror expansion.

I'm thinking two days isn't going to be enough time...

-SusanR

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds