October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What boardgames have you been BURNING?

More
25 Oct 2011 06:28 #106388 by Amontillado
I'm not saying an actual Bonfire of the Meeples. Rather, I'm interested in knowing which games you've either lost all love for, or those that after a bad experience you otherwise hope to never kiss a tabletop near you ever again, etc.

Euros may be easy sport around here and are of course fair game, but AT is fair game too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2011 07:31 #106390 by Hex Sinister
Dungeon Lords.

Somebody please do another take on this idea that isn't boring crap. Don't be fooled by the cutesy-fun art. This mutherfucker is DRY. There isn't a lot to actually DO in the game or much to explore with repeat plays. Yet it's too heavy for what it is. I hate teaching it. Get a match!

To make myself feel better I think I will order cavE|3vil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
25 Oct 2011 10:57 #106393 by tscook

Hex Sinister wrote: Dungeon Lords.

Somebody please do another take on this idea that isn't boring crap. Don't be fooled by the cutesy-fun art. This mutherfucker is DRY. There isn't a lot to actually DO in the game or much to explore with repeat plays. Yet it's too heavy for what it is. I hate teaching it. Get a match!

To make myself feel better I think I will order cavE|3vil.

File under games that should've just been five minute Flash games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, SuperflyPete

More
25 Oct 2011 11:55 #106396 by Xerxes
Quest for the Dragonlords - appalling unplayable crap - managed to sell it to a deranged fool who really wanted it.

Magic Realm - utter dreck - not a sensible way to create a fantasy game is any sane universe, it is now, hopefully, collecting damp in my shed and will soon be no more, it's probably already too damp to burn unfortunately

Puerto Rico - dull, dull dull, dull.......

More
25 Oct 2011 12:17 #106399 by SuperflyPete
Magic Realm...3rd Ed Rules (the homebrew stuff) is awesome. But, not for everyone (or hardly anyone...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
25 Oct 2011 16:26 #106427 by Xlyce
Thunderstone, played it twice and realized I don't really care for the game. It is going on my trade block
The following user(s) said Thank You: imrahil327

More
25 Oct 2011 17:14 #106430 by Rliyen

Xerxes wrote: Quest for the Dragonlords - appalling unplayable crap - managed to sell it to a deranged fool who really wanted it.

Magic Realm - utter dreck - not a sensible way to create a fantasy game is any sane universe, it is now, hopefully, collecting damp in my shed and will soon be no more, it's probably already too damp to burn unfortunately

Puerto Rico - dull, dull dull, dull.......

Well, Xerxes, if you have no interest in it, I'd like to take it off your hands for salvage purposes (I have a set and a few counters are worn). PM me if you're interested.

More
25 Oct 2011 17:16 - 25 Oct 2011 17:17 #106431 by Hex Sinister
Xerxes, I couldn't get into MR either. I tried. But damn, trade it or sell it before it gets a reprint.

Edit: Heh, man you already got a customer!
Last edit: 25 Oct 2011 17:17 by Hex Sinister.

More
25 Oct 2011 22:08 #106451 by Disgustipater
Munchkin Cthulhu needs to go.

Gloom I played twice and haven't played since.

More
26 Oct 2011 00:02 #106456 by engelstein
Quarriors. Just don't understand the love for this one. Seems pointless.

More
26 Oct 2011 01:28 #106458 by Amontillado

Disgustipater wrote: Munchkin Cthulhu needs to go.

Gloom I played twice and haven't played since.

Unless Munchkin-anything is any good, I'm going count my one experience with it at as "unfortunate, and never to be repeated."

More
26 Oct 2011 04:46 #106465 by Disgustipater

Chasch wrote: Unless Munchkin-anything is any good, I'm going count my one experience with it at as "unfortunate, and never to be repeated."

I played the vanilla version once in high school, and found it to be entertaining, so I picked up a version of it about a year ago. It didn't hold up.

More
26 Oct 2011 11:39 #106472 by bomber
Vinhos and London were, if not awakenings, then at least confirmations that something was very, very wrong in the Eurogame genre. While I still own and enjoy several well known euro games, I realised that the vast majority of the games I've been interested in over the past year are literally a waste of time to all involved.

I almost gave in to the temptation to buy Ora et Labora based on my love of Agricola and Le havre, but reading the rules a few times, I just realised, nobody needs this game, it's just another twist on the same things, the same ideas, the same looks. Just feels like for me personally I've turned a corner and it will take something really special as a eurogame to pique my interest. So far, only Urban Sprawl is on the horizon, but even that I am really caught in 2 minds about.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying devouring books on political and military history, particularly world war 2, am spending a lot more time reading and researching wargames and buying various miniatures to make home brew versions of games like Space Hulk just for the hell of it. I have a box full of Horrorclix Aliens, and some AT-43 and Haloclix / Gears of War prepaints and am putting together what I hope will be an awesome homebrew version of "Aliens".
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
26 Oct 2011 13:46 #106476 by SuperflyPete
You and me both, Engelstein. I never sipped that Kool aid...after two plays I was convinced it was the largest mass hallucination ever.

Here's a game that needs to be burned: Hotel Samoa. What a completely worthless sack of shit. I could hardly get through the "setup" in the rulebook with having an aneurysm. TERRIBLE! GAH!

More
26 Oct 2011 15:19 #106479 by Shellhead
Mansions of Madness has been gathering dust in my collection for many months now. It has only hit the table three times, and the last time was six months ago. I love Call of Cthulhu, Arkham Horror and even The Hills Rise Wild, but Mansions of Madness just feels flat. Really long set-up time, limited replay value, heavy errata. The combat cards add some nice narrative to adventures that aren't much more than pick-up-and-deliver, but the limited quantity of combat cards for each situation creates too much repetition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds