October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman vs Prophecy

More
03 Mar 2009 04:07 #22684 by Matt Thrower
Space Ghost wrote:

Vote: Talisman

I look forward to some of the Prophecy expansions to see what they have to offer, but until then, Talisman gets my vote.

Also, MadDog, could you post the list of Trashdome winners in at the beginning of the contests -- that way we know who will be joining the fallen and who will be celebrating?

Ooh, yes. Then we can have winner vs winner runoffs :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2009 09:03 #22691 by mrmarcus
Tough call. The games are very similar at their cores. Run around the board, kill stuff, get bigger and buffer, score the MacGuffin(s). I've only played Prophecy a handful of times. They've been enjoyable plays but not very stellar. I played the hell out of Talisman. I remember outstanding games of Talisman, I remember painful games that seemed like they would never end.

I think Prophecy was an improvement over Talisman. But I don't believe Prophecy would exist if Talisman hadn't showed that style of game would sell.

I've gotta throw my vote to Talisman.

More
03 Mar 2009 09:29 #22698 by san il defanso
MattDP wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

I look forward to some of the Prophecy expansions to see what they have to offer, but until then, Talisman gets my vote.

Also, MadDog, could you post the list of Trashdome winners in at the beginning of the contests -- that way we know who will be joining the fallen and who will be celebrating?

Maybe even a loser bracket? I can't help but feel that Nexus Ops got a bad draw in the seeding, as it were.

More
03 Mar 2009 10:36 #22705 by ChristopherMD
sanildefanso wrote:

MattDP wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Maybe even a loser bracket? I can't help but feel that Nexus Ops got a bad draw in the seeding, as it were.

TI3 vs NO was basically a test. If you bitched about that match being unfair then trust me you won't like winner vs winner matches where the games have nothing in common. Because even if TI3 and NO were both past winners it still would have been the same match. So I figure everyone else just wants similar games matched so you can describe the mechanical differences and then watch whichever one was already more popular in that genre win. Personally I think the unfair matches are more interesting and lead to new discussion as opposed to stuff thats been compared since the day the latter game was released. Fortunately for me I'm the one starting these threads so there will be a mix of fair and unfair matches whether you all like it or not.

More
03 Mar 2009 10:59 #22711 by Space Ghost
sanildefanso wrote:

MattDP wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Loser bracket? The competitors are dead in a bone heap on the floor of Trashdome.

More
03 Mar 2009 14:49 #22761 by Columbob
I never did get to play Talisman (blame GW for not marketing it in the mid-to-late 90s, I sure played every other game they released back then), although I almost bought the dragon expansion to use the cool miniature for Warhammer.

Hence, VOTE: PROPHECY.

Michael Barnes wrote:

Except when you kill Aslan in PROPHECY. That's oh-so-satisfying.

And it makes you The Beastmaster (TM).

More
03 Mar 2009 15:13 #22777 by Michael Barnes
Oh yeah, that's right! I forgot about that exquisite detail...kill a Christ figure to become Marc Singer...that is board gaming gold right there.

More
03 Mar 2009 15:53 #22790 by RKFade
Taliman gets my vote!!

Just yesterday, an Old hag chased away all my follows and then pursued me about the realm, a vortex sucked away all my magic spells, and I didn't use weapons because I was a monk. I had NOTHING an hour and a half into the game. Then I was smited by my bud with the Crown of Command (CoC) as I raced into the inner realms to stop him, only to get lost in the crypt and find my way back into the city via a forgotten catacomb. I died in the city streets as a bolt of CoC Thunder lit up the heavens and entered my body and slew me, my only friend a dirty old hag standing over my corpse, laughing toothlessly and yelling "Putrid!! Filth!! You had true power and gave it away! ROT you SCUM!!". Good game!!

CoC Thunder!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!!!

More
03 Mar 2009 16:05 #22796 by Mr Skeletor
Mad Dog wrote:

If you bitched about that match being unfair then trust me you won't like winner vs winner matches where the games have nothing in common.

I think the winner vs winner thing is a waste of time. We have already discussed those games, and once we start going down a ladder really it just becomes a ranking system. I'd rather stick with new creative matchups.

More
04 Mar 2009 09:32 #22883 by ChristopherMD
Prophecy
MattDP
moofrank
Mr Skeletor
Stephen Avery
metalface13
Columbob

Talisman
Aarontu
Michael Barnes
Sydo
ubarose
KingPut
Octavian
Death and Taxis
ozjesting
Mr MOTO
Space Ghost
mrmarcus
RKFade

Prophecy isn't holding up too well so far.

More
04 Mar 2009 09:39 #22884 by JoelCFC25
Vote: TALISMAN

Hell, I haven't even played PROPHECY. But no one said the Trashdome is fair. So there it is.

More
04 Mar 2009 10:53 #22899 by Ska_baron
Prophesy.

I actually havent played EITHER. But I bought this one, so it had better be the superior game...

More
04 Mar 2009 12:09 #22910 by sydo
Ska_baron wrote:

Prophesy.

I actually havent played EITHER. But I bought this one, so it had better be the superior game...

You will regret this forever.

More
05 Mar 2009 03:10 #23051 by OldHippy
If I had to choose (And I don't like that at all) it would be Talisman... too many memories.

More
05 Mar 2009 08:17 #23066 by Ska_baron
JonJacob wrote:

If I had to choose (And I don't like that at all) it would be Talisman... too many memories.

Huh. Lots of nostalgia this time around. I was going to criticize this, but then realized that if you put Hero Quest against anything recent I'd have a helluva hard time voting against good ol' HQ.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds