October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2760 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Jan 2018 09:03 #262119 by Shellhead
I think Damien Hirst is a clever huckster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2018 00:43 #262191 by Cranberries

Colorcrayons wrote: "The Wreck of the Unbelievable" on Netflix.

Pretty awesome treasure hunt show, by the truest definition. Very very cool. As a person who has a strong love for art and archaeology, this was right up my wheelhouse.

But before you research this, you must first watch it.

Once you have done all of the above, I want to go on record to say that I think Damien Hirst is a genius.

Ok, I watched it. We are big Hirst fans in our house after seeing his show in Doha, although I told my son he should watch this "documentary" and he said, "I don't want to see any more cows sliced in half."

It's pretty cool. I guess he started taking down the show in Venice in December, and he has multiple copies of many of the pieces. It took him ten years. From a review:

And he recounted a conversation he had once with David Hockney. “He said, ‘Do people often ask you how long your art works last?’ ” Hirst recalled. “And I said, ‘Yes.’ Because he’s a painter, he doesn’t get asked that. So then he said, ‘Do you know what you should tell them?’ and I said, ‘What?’

“And he said, ‘Longer than you.’ ”

More
27 Jan 2018 10:45 - 27 Jan 2018 10:47 #262330 by repoman
Blade Runner 2049

Why why why did this get such bad press when it came out? I rented it off Amazon Prime for $4 and fully expected it to be garbage based on what I had heard. But you know what?

It was really good.

First, it looked and felt like Blade Runner. Not for an instant did I doubt I was in the same universe as the first film.

Second, it is its own story. Not a rehash of the original. But still there are notes from the first movie that run through out. How the replicants are in many ways children. How they desperately want to have meaning and be loved. Granted, geriatric Harrison Ford is here but he fits and works much better with the story in this film than with the Star Wars movie.

Third, I really dig how they mention certain ideas but don't need to spell out everything in heavy handed exposition. The blackout. What the world outside L A is like. Why are there so many orphans. What is water meant to represent in a metaphoric sense? Life? Change? Renewal? All three?

Ignore what you might have heard and watch this movie. I really dug it.

I have to admit Barnes was right about this. And you know how I hate to admit it when he's right.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2018 10:47 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Frohike, stoic

More
27 Jan 2018 10:46 #262331 by hotseatgames
Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie I saw last year.

More
27 Jan 2018 11:17 #262334 by Gary Sax
Me too.

Special shout out to Mother, though, which wasn't super good but was the most disturbing thing I saw.

More
27 Jan 2018 12:31 #262339 by Michael Barnes
BR2049, after watching it seven times since it hit digital, may very well be my second favorite movie of all time. With Blade Runner being first. It is more or less perfect SF as far as I’m concerned.

If you watch the films back to back, it is AMAZING how cohesive they are in terms of themes, visuals, acting and writing. 2049 really feels like a logical extrapolation of BR’s futurism.

One of my very favorite moments is when Deckard walks through a door but K, walking abreast, busts through the wall. It totally captures how different they are as replicants.

That poster, good grief. I’m going all Tex Avery wolf dude over here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
27 Jan 2018 13:18 #262343 by Not Sure
You'll be blowing it out at discount prices any day. That movie is not forever shelf material.

It's pretty, and loud, but basically empty inside.

It's also got an ugly current of misogyny running throughout it (inherited from the first film, but the 1980s were a little different time) that sure doesn't play well, especially for a movie that's based around motherhood. I really wanted to like it as much as I did Fury Road, but there just wasn't enough there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
27 Jan 2018 16:30 #262347 by Black Barney
Rewatched most of Avatar the other night. That movie has aged really well. I liked it more than I expected. It’s as simple as it gets on paper but even on my mid sized tv, it is gorgeous. Really beautiful and pretty fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
27 Jan 2018 16:40 #262350 by Michael Barnes
I don’t care what the internet tells me, Avatar is awesome and I love it. As I’ve stated many time here on F:AT and elsewhere, if that film had come out in the 80s or 90s; it would be hailed along with the other greats of action sci fi. It’s classic James Cameron, and it combines his meticulous detail and hardware obsessions with a wildly imaginative abandon, thoughtful themes, and a valuable message.

The problem is that it’s an easy movie to pick on for internet muckrakers. And the internet fosters a pile-on mentality.

I can’t wait to go to the new Avatar area at Disney World, the ride is supposed to be incredible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jan 2018 16:51 #262351 by Black Barney
Were going to be getting a ton more Avatar in the years ahead. I think Cameron losing the Oscar to his ex really must have given him purpose

I love me some Cameron so if he’s making more sci fi movies, I've got a front row seat with a big tub of buttered popcorn and a greasy half-live chicken leg

More
27 Jan 2018 19:33 #262355 by hotseatgames
I didn't see Avatar until years after its release, so it went over fairly meh with me. I am sure it was much more impressive on the big screen upon release.

I just got back from the 3rd Maze Runner film. I will start by saying two positive things. First, it was better than the second film. This is not high praise. Second, they somehow got Walton Goggins to play a small part in this film. In the brief time he is on-screen, he out-acts everyone else in the whole film. Not surprising.

I can accept some suspension of disbelief. But this film bends the laws of physics to a degree I haven't encountered in a long, long time. It's astonishing, really.

In short, don't see this film unless you are making a sacrifice for your children.

More
27 Jan 2018 20:27 #262356 by Black Barney
Thanks for the warning, I had no intention to see it

The 2nd one is beyond stupid. Little finger playing basically little finger?

The first one had the most interesting premise and it was still really stupid
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
03 Feb 2018 10:11 #262725 by hotseatgames
Last night I watched Alien 3 again. I had only seen it once, and it was many years ago. I wondered if I'd feel differently about it now.

Nope. Still sucks.

More
03 Feb 2018 10:28 #262726 by Michael Barnes
Which version? It makes a pretty big difference. I don’t think it would change your mind. But the other cuts do improve on it quite a lot.

More
03 Feb 2018 10:50 #262728 by stoic

Black Barney wrote: Rewatched most of Avatar the other night. That movie has aged really well. I liked it more than I expected. It’s as simple as it gets on paper but even on my mid sized tv, it is gorgeous. Really beautiful and pretty fun.

I like it and the transformative visual experience it offers. But, it's nothing more than a derivative Scfi version of Dances with Wolves, isn't it? However, it has one of my favorite bad guys of all time too: Colonel Miles Quaritch.

I hope that they clone him and bring him back to life for the Avatar 2 sequel. Maybe, he'll bring some small-pox blankets with him to wipe out the "Na'vi?"

How come there isn't an Avatar board game?
Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.596 seconds