October 09, 2023
2771 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2922 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Dr. Who - where to begin

More
18 Oct 2011 19:14 #105783 by mads b.
I have a small tour next week and think it'll be a good time to watch a show. I've been thinking about dr. Who (the reimagined stuff), but don't quite know where to begin. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2011 19:32 #105784 by Sagrilarus
I'd start with Episode 1 of Season 1. There's some very good material in every season to date.

Getting a hold of Doctor Who Confidential, if possible, is a nice addition as well.

S.

More
18 Oct 2011 20:30 #105788 by mads b.
Ah, what I meant was that I'm not entirely sure what the reimagined series were called and all that. I kinda had the impression that there was a lot of different dr. Who stuff and figured it was the same with the newer stuff. Anyways, maybe I should've just googled it.

More
18 Oct 2011 20:51 - 18 Oct 2011 20:52 #105789 by metalface13
It's just called Doctor Who. You won't mistake the relaunched show from the original's season 1, that was in black and white. Are you watching via Netflix? If you are, just look up Doctor Who, a bunch of special episodes will pop up, but just go to the one that says series, there have been five seasons so far.

The relaunch began in 2005.

Last edit: 18 Oct 2011 20:52 by metalface13.

More
18 Oct 2011 20:58 #105791 by Michael Barnes
Bah, screw season one. It's a waste of time apart from "The Doctor Dances"/"The Empty Child". Just start with some of the best David Tennant episodes like I did. All you need to know are the basics, most of the backstory, recurring characters, and concepts are very easy to sort out.

Watch these shows, and if you like them, go nuts:

The Girl in the Fireplace
Blink
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Human Nature/Family of Blood
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Tooth and Claw
Midnight

Very few of the 10th Doctor/David Tennant episodes are bad. But the above have been my favorites.

More
18 Oct 2011 21:00 #105792 by Michael Barnes
Oh, I see...yeah, if you're watching anything Chris Eccleston/David Tennant/Matt Smith then you're watching the new Who. Sylvester McCoy and back is old Who.

It's _really_ not reimagined...it just has a higher budget and location shooting. Due to the "timey wimey" nature of the show and the regenerating Doctor, it's really part of the same continuity.

More
18 Oct 2011 22:29 #105798 by Mr Skeletor
Another vote to start with the 2005 stuff (which was the start of the relaunch). Just look for season 1 and make sure its not from the 60s.
Season 1 isn't the best but it is good, and the series works best when you watch it from its (sort of) start.
It is in continuity with the earler stuff (which had been off air at that time for like 15 years), but it doesn't assume the user has seen it. It's basically a new jumping on point.

P.S. Fuck Amy.

More
18 Oct 2011 22:44 #105799 by Michael Barnes
Agreed- it's definitely "newbie friendly" so if you never watched Tom Baker, Peter Davison, etc. you won't be missing anything, and the showrunners are well aware that there are legions of viewers who have never seen the earlier shows.

The problem with season one is firstly, Chris Eccleston and secondly, the writing just isn't nearly as good. They were sort of trying some things out and seeing what worked as Doctor Who in 2005, so there's a very tenative feeling to the episodes- apart from that Empty Child/Doctor Dances two parter which is outstanding it also points toward how the show would be under Tennant. When it came out in 2005, I tried to watch it and I just couldn't get into it at all- I found it pretty off-putting actually. It took another go at the Tennant stuff to hook me back in.

If you _haven't_ seen any of the old ones, they actually are worth seeing...they're HORRENDOUSLY dated though. Think "school play" level production values. But the writing is good, the actors are good (especially Tom Baker) and the stories are sometimes extremely good. Overall, it's a better and more consistently great show than Trek, even going back 40 years.

More
18 Oct 2011 23:02 #105800 by Mr Skeletor
Season 1 is better than Season 5 and possibly better than 6. It's also more consistant than season 2 (which was a roller coaster season in terms of quality - the great episodes were better than season1 but the shit episodes were shitter.)
I like season 1, yes it's finding its feet and stuff like the sluvarians (?) were naff but there is lots of fun and great characters to be had. How can you love Mickey the idiot in season 2 if you don't meet him in season 1?

More
18 Oct 2011 23:23 - 18 Oct 2011 23:31 #105801 by Sagrilarus
Honestly Mads, have you ever agreed with a Michael Barnes review? He liked Castle Panic for God's sake. Watch the entire series from episode 1 and you won't be disappointed.

P.S. Fuck Amy.

Opinion or recommendation?

I agree that season 2 was really inconsistent. But that's how you end up with stellar shows. You have to take chances. Frankly any episode that doesn't have the Daleks or the Cybermen works for me. Those are always the laziest, most half-baked storylines and the noise the Daleks makes just is irritating as hell.

By the way they keep telling me Amy is Scottish, but I'll be damned if the accent says that to me. I'm listening with American ears, but I covered the whole damn country and she sounds like a southerner occasionally faking the accent. Sure as hell doesn't sound like Inverness. Worse than Peri ever was at pretending to be American.

S.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2011 23:31 by Sagrilarus.

More
18 Oct 2011 23:25 #105802 by Mr Skeletor
Both. But only if its a hate fuck.

More
18 Oct 2011 23:40 #105804 by Sagrilarus

Mr Skeletor wrote: Both. But only if its a hate fuck.

Never hurts to keep your options open.

S.

More
19 Oct 2011 00:08 #105806 by Michael Barnes
Yeah...I love Daleks and Cybermen, but their episodes usually aren't very good. They feel obligatiory. Buy i did kind of like Doomsday since it was just so over the top in fan service.

Now, the Ood...they rule.

Frank does have a point, you'd also miss Jack Harkness' best show if you skip 2005.

More
19 Oct 2011 01:10 #105809 by ufe
Replied by ufe on topic Re: Dr. Who - where to begin
I'd agree with Barnes to start with Tenant (season 2 of the new series). I tried to get in to Dr Who a few times but never got past a couple episodes of Eccleston's run before I petered out. A discussion of The Dr on this site seemed to confirm that Tenant was the best of the modern Drs so I started season 2 up with the girlfriend. The first few episodes of that season aren't the best but it quickly became our favorite show. Almost done with season 1 now (I think I just have the finale left), and it's definitely better after having gotten used to the "random shit happens" formula of the show, but Eccleston just doesn't come close to Tenant.

Don't worry, anything you would need to know from Season 1 to understand season 2 will be shown in a 30 second flashback. I was watching an interview with the producer of the modern show (can't remember his name) and he said he tries to start every season with a clean slate for new viewers to jump on, and that seems to hold true in my experience.

Haven't gotten to Smith yet, still have the Tenant specials to go after finishing season 1. His stuff any good?

More
19 Oct 2011 01:37 #105811 by Mr Skeletor
You guys are fucking nuts. Here is my take on season 1:

Rose: Still the best intro to the concept of Dr Who. It was a great idea to have him not be the main character in the episode, works really well for the newstarts.

End of The World: Great episode, and a great introduction to the 'british quirkiness' of DW. By the end of this episode you know the series is in a different mould from your star treks and other serious, humourless sci-fi shows.

Unquiet Dead: Introduces the Rift. Sets up the second kind of adventure (the historical one) and was pretty damn enjoyable from memory. Why is the torchwood sheila in it?

Aliens of London / World War 3: Ok, farting aliens and all manner of off the wall shit. I still found the 2 parter fun, even though it is weak. Roses family stuff is always entertaining and I love the whole idea that the show for the first time addressed the fact that companions friends and families are left behind (something I can't remember the classics ever touching on.) Yeah its kiddy, but this is a family show. And I'll always respect Davie's run for being a show meant for the whole family where he kills off half the extras every episode (you hear that moffat you pussy!)

Dalek: Cmon this rocked! How great was crazy doctor and the fucked up Daleck. Way better then the last few shit Dalek stories.

The Long Game: Can't really remember much from this one. I remember it being OK, but it's obviously forgettable!

Fathers Day: Loved this one, and established the time travel rules which Moffat has proceeded to since ass rape to the detriment of the show.

Empty Child/ Doctor Dances: Classic episodes. Nuff said.

Boom Town: Forgettable.

Bad Wolf/Parting of Ways: Bit dated and the ending was a bit Des Ex, but otherwise I thought it was a great way to end the season.

Not much bad stuff in that lot. Certainly a season worth watching.

BONUS CONTENT - OTHER SEASON RATINGS

Season 2: The highs were higher, but the lows were lower (idiots lantern, im looking at you.)
Season 3: The best season. The second half was kick ass episode after kick ass episode.
Season 4: ALMOST as good as season 3. Had the best companion.
Season 4.5 (ie the 'specials year'): Overall great stuff. Best Doctor Exit ever.
Season 5: Shit sandwitch. Fuck me what a letdown.
Season 6: A big imporvement over 5, but way too convoluted and tries too hard to be clever. Moffat needs to leave his 'i'm so smart' spagetti 'shock' metaplots at home and start telling good solid stories.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds