October 09, 2023
2801 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2939 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Futurama Reborn! Or is it?

More
25 Jun 2010 09:49 #66844 by Rliyen
Last week, The Boy and I were watching Comedy Central and we ran across the advertisement of the NEW SEASON of Futurama.

We both looked at each other and squeed like Twi-tards.

Fast forward to last night, when they had two new episodes to kick off the new season.

Color me less than impressed.

I love the show, more than The Simpsons, but it seemed that they took the comedically lazy route for humor, mainly sex jokes. It was almost like I was watching Futurama: as interpreted by Family Guy writers. I watched, and loved, Futurama because of the intelligent comedy. The crap that came on last night was NOT good.

I'm hoping it'll get better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2010 09:52 #66845 by san il defanso
Haven't seen it yet, since we don't actually have cable. Are the episodes going to be available online to watch?

More
25 Jun 2010 09:53 #66846 by Rliyen
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Haven't seen it yet, since we don't actually have cable. Are the episodes going to be available online to watch?

Since Comedy Central now payrolls the show, check there.

More
25 Jun 2010 09:54 #66847 by Gary Sax
I'm not a Futurama fan but I happened to catch one of these last night. The Adam and eve one. It really sucked. I've never liked Futurama very much but this was really dead and unfunny. I wouldn't say it went Family Guy, it just made a bunch of horribly unfunny sex jokes. I guess Leela is a sexy cartoon character, but I think you can leave her nakedness to the fan fictioneers.

More
25 Jun 2010 10:46 #66850 by Last Alchemist
I'm a huge Futurama fan and have eagerly awaited the new episodes for a year now. I loved all of the movies that came out last year. I gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed with last night's episodes too. They did seem to focus on over-sexualizing the female characters (Lela and Amy), but it seemed rought around the edges all around (which is strange because they just had the movies out last year). I thought the voice acting could have used some work too. Some of the voices (Dr. Farnsworth, etc.) seemed to be off a whee bit.

I think they will bounce back, but it might take a few episodes.

LA

More
25 Jun 2010 11:16 #66853 by Schweig!
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Everything is available online ...

newmyvideolinks.co.cc/?s=futurama

I suggest streaming on duckload, it's the least ad-ridden site. You need DivX Webplayer, get it from the official site. Follow the link to Duckload, click the bottom most link to open a tab, click "click to start", do not install any bogus DivX updates, click the 'play' button in the player window that will appear on the site, wait a few seconds for buffering, enjoy.

It's not really legal but there shouldn't be a problem because you're not saving a permanent copy on your computer. DivX can be configured to delete temporarily buffered files after a given time (1 day for me).

More
25 Jun 2010 11:16 #66854 by Rliyen
Last Alchemist wrote:

I'm a huge Futurama fan and have eagerly awaited the new episodes for a year now. I loved all of the movies that came out last year. I gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed with last night's episodes too. They did seem to focus on over-sexualizing the female characters (Lela and Amy), but it seemed rought around the edges all around (which is strange because they just had the movies out last year). I thought the voice acting could have used some work too. Some of the voices (Dr. Farnsworth, etc.) seemed to be off a whee bit.

I think they will bounce back, but it might take a few episodes.

LA

Here's hopin'. I somewhat liked the "Reborn" episode. The "Adam and Eve" episode was nothing more than an unfunny parody of the first Star Trek movie.

My reason for saying the Family Guy writers had a hand in the writing last night's episodes was because FG was more on the "shock comedy" route, something that did pop up in earlier episodes of Futurama, but tapered off considerably in following seasons. If I want that type of comedy, I'll watch FG. It really disappointed me with the route they took, and I liked nearly all the movies prior to the relaunch (Into the Wild Green Yonder was a preachy, unfunny mess of comedic dead ends).

More
25 Jun 2010 15:56 #66888 by ahayford
I thought they were pretty good. Not as good as the best episodes of Futurama...but after having rewatched a lot of the old epidsodes recently in preperation, I'd say they were relatively on par imho.

More
25 Jun 2010 18:37 - 25 Jun 2010 18:38 #66905 by southernman
We don't do humble opinions around here - it's blatent subjectivity or nothing !

Welcome.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2010 18:38 by southernman.

More
25 Jun 2010 19:17 #66906 by mjl1783
Also, you have to say the f-word a lot. Oh, and if Southernman disagrees with you, you have to make fun of his age and his proclivity for sheep fucking.

More
25 Jun 2010 19:43 #66907 by Rliyen
mjl1783 wrote:

Also, you have to say the f-word a lot. Oh, and if Southernman disagrees with you, you have to make fun of his age and his proclivity for sheep fucking.

Or call him a "Brit" , he absolutely loves that...

More
25 Jun 2010 22:49 #66915 by Not Sure
Rliyen wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Protip: He hates it because he's really Australian, not British at all.

More
26 Jun 2010 04:26 #66922 by Schweig!
Not Sure wrote:

Kiwi!!!

More
26 Jun 2010 10:13 #66926 by Rliyen
Not Sure wrote:

Rliyen wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Protip: duh! =o)

More
26 Jun 2010 12:52 #66929 by southernman
You guys are soooo funny .... and I know where most of you live now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds