October 09, 2023
2800 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2939 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bitchfest posts hidden?

More
27 Apr 2011 23:17 - 27 Apr 2011 23:26 #95313 by Bullwinkle
Is there some reason that Bitchfest posts are no longer showing up under the Recent Topics tab? I'm not a Guest, I'm logged in under my account.

Edit: This post doesn't show up, either.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2011 23:26 by Bullwinkle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 00:09 #95328 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Bitchfest posts hidden?
If you are interested in following bitchfest or complaints, you can find them by clicking on the index tab. If you don't want to miss a single post, click the subscribe button when you are in the forum category that you want to follow, and you will receive an e-mail informing you of every new post made. Although, I strongly advise against subscribing to bitchfest, as it might flood your in box.

More
28 Apr 2011 09:37 - 28 Apr 2011 09:38 #95362 by Bullwinkle
Okay, this is just not better. I used to be able to come to one page--Trash Talk--and see at a glance whether or not there was any new and/or interesting content being posted anywhere--articles, blogs, or forums. Now I need to go, at a minimum, to three different pages, and have to scroll around one, too, to fully participate in the site.

The index is not useful; it only shows the last post. The sitemap is less useful than that. And I don't want to subscribe to posts; I don't need or want a flood of messages in my inbox. I'm not a delicate soul whose eyes are too precious to see bad words. There either needs to be an opt-in toggle or something to allow us hardier folk to read what we want in our forum page, or maybe the staff needs to consider whether it wants Bitchfest at all. Creating a second-class forum that you have to actively search for is basically saying you wish it didn't exist.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 09:38 by Bullwinkle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
28 Apr 2011 20:08 #95429 by southernman
Yep, so people will no longer know when a thread that may be pertinent or of interest to them is created in Complaints or Bitchfest. Those two forums have been hidden away.

More
30 Apr 2011 16:53 #95453 by Notahandle
Bullwinkle wrote: " I used to be able to come to one page--Trash Talk--and see at a glance whether or not there was any new and/or interesting content being posted anywhere--articles, blogs, or forums. Now I need to go, at a minimum, to three different pages, and have to scroll around one, too, to fully participate in the site. ... There either needs to be an opt-in toggle or something to allow us hardier folk to read what we want in our forum page, or maybe the staff needs to consider whether it wants Bitchfest at all. Creating a second-class forum that you have to actively search for is basically saying you wish it didn't exist."
QFT. There needs to be one page to see them all. (Hmm, that sounds familiar...)

Hey, where's font sizing gone?

More
30 Apr 2011 18:24 #95459 by Hatchling
I agree with Bullwinkle, and especially with this:

Bullwinkle wrote: Creating a second-class forum that you have to actively search for is basically saying you wish it didn't exist.

Neil

More
01 May 2011 01:34 #95471 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re: Bitchfest posts hidden?

Hatchling wrote: I agree with Bullwinkle, and especially with this:

Bullwinkle wrote: Creating a second-class forum that you have to actively search for is basically saying you wish it didn't exist.

Neil

I disagree. Bitchfest has always been different from the other categories. In particular, you can't see it at all unless you're registered and logged in. This is not new.

If anyone wished that Bitchfest did not exist, then the most obvious way to express that is to lock it or to make it not exist. That hasn't been done and to my knowledge nobody has contemplated doing that.

All it takes to follow Bitchfest is to click on "Index." Not a big deal in my personal opinion, and certainly not the same thing as "hiding" it.

More
01 May 2011 03:45 - 01 May 2011 03:46 #95475 by Hatchling
Okay, I'll agree that if admins didn't want Bitchfest to exist it wouldn't exist. But surely you agree that removing Bitchfest from "recent items" (the main page we'll be going to to find out what's happening on the site) makes it more inconvenient to find and follow, and more separate from the rest of the site than it previously was.
Last edit: 01 May 2011 03:46 by Hatchling.

More
01 May 2011 08:29 - 01 May 2011 08:33 #95481 by Notahandle
Juniper wrote:
" Bitchfest has always been different from the other categories. In particular, you can't see it at all unless you're registered and logged in."
Then why isn't this sufficient? By removing it from Recent Threads you are making it even more of a second class citizen.
" All it takes to follow Bitchfest is to click on "Index." Not a big deal in my personal opinion"
It is a big deal. I didn't discover this for two days, until someone else pointed it out. The Deleted Post thread had half a dozen pages of comments that I didn't get to read until after it was locked. Can you not appreciate how annoying that is? Someone should have posted a thread to inform everyone about the change. Regarding "All it takes to follow Bitchfest is to click on Index", why make a change that makes it harder for us? Yes, it's a small thing, but it's still profoundly irritating that you're deliberately putting an extra hurdle in the way.

And since I'm on the topic of changes that make things worse, I'll mention the pop-up login window. Autofill doesn't work on it so I have to click enter, click no to the 'save in keychain' dialogue, then I finally get a correctly autofilled login screen that I click on, and finally I'm there. I mentioned that ages ago when it was first introduced and no one bothered to reply. The result of that change was, instead of my visiting F:AT several times a day, I only visited once a day. Consequently I posted less. (And no, I didn't try to find a way round the newly created problem.) I'm not suggesting the Bitchfest change is as big as that one. I'm just pointing out that any change that makes F:AT harder for the users to navigate is going to have detrimental effects.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (You may not consider my posting less to be detrimental of course. :p )
Last edit: 01 May 2011 08:33 by Notahandle. Reason: SIZE MATTERS!

More
01 May 2011 11:02 - 01 May 2011 11:06 #95486 by Bullwinkle

Juniper wrote: I disagree. Bitchfest has always been different from the other categories. In particular, you can't see it at all unless you're registered and logged in. This is not new.

Well, seeing as how I'm registered and logged in and can't see it anymore unless I actively go to it, this is new.

If anyone wished that Bitchfest did not exist, then the most obvious way to express that is to lock it or to make it not exist. That hasn't been done and to my knowledge nobody has contemplated doing that.

All it takes to follow Bitchfest is to click on "Index." Not a big deal in my personal opinion, and certainly not the same thing as "hiding" it.

So the site redesign is good, because what? It makes the site harder to use? This is a good thing, then?

Make something harder to do, and fewer people will do it. This is Design 101. You know it, uba knows it, everyone knows it. Saying 'well, we're not really hiding it' doesn't change that fact.

You may not care about it, but a number of users have told you in this thread that they do. And there would probably be more, but since this post is hidden not visible unless you go looking for it, they probably don't even realize the discussion's taking place.

But, whatever. Part of the new site direction, so nothing to complain about, right?
Last edit: 01 May 2011 11:06 by Bullwinkle.

More
01 May 2011 12:15 #95489 by Juniper

Bullwinkle wrote: You may not care about it, but a number of users have told you in this thread that they do. And there would probably be more, but since this post is hidden not visible unless you go looking for it, they probably don't even realize the discussion's taking place.

But, whatever. Part of the new site direction, so nothing to complain about, right?

This discussion is not in Bitchfest.
All I did was disagree with the idea that anybody wanted Bitchfest to "not exist," and I gave my reasons for disagreeing. If you have a complaint, then that is perfectly valid. I was responding to what I saw as factual errors.

More
01 May 2011 14:08 #95497 by southernman

Juniper wrote:

Bullwinkle wrote: You may not care about it, but a number of users have told you in this thread that they do. And there would probably be more, but since this post is hidden not visible unless you go looking for it, they probably don't even realize the discussion's taking place.

This discussion is not in Bitchfest.
All I did was disagree with the idea that anybody wanted Bitchfest to "not exist," and I gave my reasons for disagreeing. If you have a complaint, then that is perfectly valid. I was responding to what I saw as factual errors.

But it is still hidden ('Complaints' threads) from the 'Recent Topics' view of the forums, so please do not try and change or cloud the original topic - that certain forums now have been made 'less' visible to people.

More
01 May 2011 14:46 #95501 by Juniper
Ohh. I understand now. I hadn't realized that Site Related threads don't show up under Recent Topics. I use Index exclusively.

More
01 May 2011 15:30 - 01 May 2011 15:35 #95505 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Bitchfest posts hidden?
Yes the complaints and bugs forum has been temporarily removed from the recent topics list, because, as I said, bug reports were overwhelming the recent topics. While debugging after a major change like this, I need those in their own threads to work through them. After the dust settles and we go back to the more typical, one bug report every now and again, I'll put this forum back up on the recent topics list.

Bitchfest has also been removed from recent topics page. It will stay there at least until we can work out a solution to the paradoxical desires of our membership which seems to be:

1. Members should be able to post anything they want any way they want.
2. No one should ever be suspended (a.k.a. banned)
3. No post or comment should ever be edited or unpublished
4. Make so-and-so stop doing thus-and-such
5. Make so-and-so's posse stop piling on
6. And no I won't take my spats with a single individual to PM

And typically all 6 of these desires are expressed by the same individual.

This site may have very few rules, but it does have some expectations of behavior. Those expectations are rather minimal. (re-read the forum policies if you haven't done so in a while). Until we can think up a better solution that can meet all of the above desires of our members, behavior that does not meet these minimal expectations will be moved into bitchfest which will not appear in the recent topics. Thus the participants are not suspended from the site, the content is not removed from the site, but behavior that does not meet the site's rather lenient policy, and interferes with the normal purpose and function of the site is essentially moved off the primary site hubs (front page and recent topics). At the very least, we hope this will reduce the "pile on" problem and allow members to work out their issues without it being escalated by a bunch of rubberneckers.

From my point of view, I feel the members of F:AT are adults, and should easily be able to meet the rather minimal expectations of behavior on this site. They should be able to work out personal disagreements with each other on their own in a way that does not disrupt the normal purpose and function of this site. They should be able to do this in a manner that does not require the involvement of a moderator, let alone the participation of the entire site membership. As a result, nothing should ever need to get moved to an area like bitchfest or thunderdome.

If you are one of those members who are under the misconception that the normal function and purpose of F:AT is to feature Jr. High School drama, ugly interpersonal arguments, and general internet wank, then I suggest that for the time being you set bitchfest as your bookmark for the site.
Last edit: 01 May 2011 15:35 by ubarose.

More
01 May 2011 16:03 #95507 by southernman

ubarose wrote: Bitchfest has also been removed from recent topics page. It will stay there at least until we can work out a solution to the paradoxical desires of our membership which seems to be:

1. Members should be able to post anything they want any way they want.
2. No one should ever be suspended (a.k.a. banned)
3. No post or comment should ever be edited or unpublished
4. Make so-and-so stop doing thus-and-such
5. Make so-and-so's posse stop piling on
6. And no I won't take my spats with a single individual to PM

And typically all 6 of these desires are expressed by the same individual.

That sounds like me except I'm all up for deleting/editing posts .... and we're all big enough to take a ban if we overshoot rules set by the site owners.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds