October 09, 2023
2800 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2939 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bitchfest posts hidden?

More
01 May 2011 16:50 - 01 May 2011 16:51 #95508 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Bitchfest posts hidden?

Southernman wrote:

ubarose wrote: Bitchfest has also been removed from recent topics page. It will stay there at least until we can work out a solution to the paradoxical desires of our membership which seems to be:

1. Members should be able to post anything they want any way they want.
2. No one should ever be suspended (a.k.a. banned)
3. No post or comment should ever be edited or unpublished
4. Make so-and-so stop doing thus-and-such
5. Make so-and-so's posse stop piling on
6. And no I won't take my spats with a single individual to PM

And typically all 6 of these desires are expressed by the same individual.

That sounds like me except I'm all up for deleting/editing posts .... and we're all big enough to take a ban if we overshoot rules set by the site owners.

When King Solomon rises from the dead and volunteers to moderate this site, then banning members and deleting comments, and not allowing the member(s) to continue their deleted conversation in a more appropriate area of the site may become a viable solution. Until then, you will have to make due with Ken and Juniper and their possibly less Solomon like decisions.
Last edit: 01 May 2011 16:51 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2011 17:21 - 01 May 2011 17:23 #95511 by Bullwinkle

ubarose wrote: Bitchfest has also been removed from recent topics page. It will stay there at least until we can work out a solution to the paradoxical desires of our membership...

Thank you for clarifying the new policy. So in other words, you are changing the purpose of Bitchfest? Because I thought that's what Thunderdome was for. And where are we supposed to put our new (non-junior-high-level) rants now?
Last edit: 01 May 2011 17:23 by Bullwinkle.

More
01 May 2011 19:07 #95513 by ubarose

Bullwinkle wrote:

ubarose wrote: Bitchfest has also been removed from recent topics page. It will stay there at least until we can work out a solution to the paradoxical desires of our membership...

Thank you for clarifying the new policy. So in other words, you are changing the purpose of Bitchfest? Because I thought that's what Thunderdome was for. And where are we supposed to put our new (non-junior-high-level) rants now?

That's the bit that needs be sorted out and thought through. I guess it depends upon what kind of ranting and venting needs members have. Is it the kind of venting and ranting that is appropriate to an existing category. Like if you want to vent about bad drivers, or spilling coffee on a new game, do we really need another category for that, or could it go into Community Catchall?. If you want to rant about poorly written rules, could that go in Games Catchall? Or do we need a special ranting and venting category? Should it be in the lounge? And what's the moderator's responsibility, if some one starts a thread ranting about bad drivers in the Community Catchall, should it be moved to some special venting and ranting category? But shouldn't venting about poorly written game rules stay in the games area, since it is an important discussion about the game?

What venting and ranting needs do you have?

More
01 May 2011 20:35 #95517 by Bullwinkle

ubarose wrote: What venting and ranting needs do you have?

I wouldn't like to pin myself down. But you can bet at some point I'm going to tee off on the motherfucking Swiss.

Do we need a special venting category? If we do, that should probably be in the Lounge. But I think your suggestion to use the Catchalls should work fine. Games, Trash Culture, and Community would cover pretty much everything. If a moderator feels something was placed inappropriately for Games or Trash Culture, moving it to Community makes sense.

I am still hoping the decision not to have the latest articles, blogs, and related comments on the top of Trash Talk will get revisited, though.

More
01 May 2011 21:06 #95519 by ubarose

Bullwinkle wrote:

ubarose wrote: What venting and ranting needs do you have?

I wouldn't like to pin myself down. But you can bet at some point I'm going to tee off on the motherfucking Swiss.

Do we need a special venting category? If we do, that should probably be in the Lounge. But I think your suggestion to use the Catchalls should work fine. Games, Trash Culture, and Community would cover pretty much everything. If a moderator feels something was placed inappropriately for Games or Trash Culture, moving it to Community makes sense.

I am still hoping the decision not to have the latest articles, blogs, and related comments on the top of Trash Talk will get revisited, though.

LOL. Well I guess you can tee off on the Swiss in the community catchall, as long as it doesn't turn into a slap fight with people accusing each other of ethnic prejudice and the like.

Having recent articles, etc. listed in Trash Talk will eventually be re-visited. Might not be on the top, since that's a pain for mobile users to have to scroll through. But I have bigger fish to fry right now. Speaking of which, I'm guessing you haven't had any more IE7/IE8 crashes.

More
01 May 2011 21:38 #95521 by Bullwinkle

ubarose wrote: Speaking of which, I'm guessing you haven't had any more IE7/IE8 crashes.

Nope. Runs smooth, looks good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
02 May 2011 11:07 - 02 May 2011 11:07 #95539 by Notahandle
ubarose wrote:
" ...behavior that does not meet the site's rather lenient policy, and interferes with the normal purpose and function of the site is essentially moved off the primary site hubs (front page and recent topics). At the very least, we hope this will reduce the "pile on" problem and allow members to work out their issues without it being escalated by a bunch of rubberneckers."
But Bitchfest can only be seen by registered members who are logged in. Therefore that aim is already implemented. Your change is targeting the daily members who post, not newbies who have just discovered the site. If the intent is to protect newly registered members, in order to ease them in, could you perhaps hide it until they'd made a certain number of posts?

" They should be able to work out personal disagreements with each other on their own in a way that does not disrupt the normal purpose and function of this site. They should be able to do this in a manner that does not require the involvement of a moderator, let alone the participation of the entire site membership. As a result, nothing should ever need to get moved to an area like bitchfest or thunderdome."
Er, nothing? I thought the whole reason for The Thunderdome was exactly that. What you've just said is that it's a forum that will never be used, so you might as well remove it.
Last edit: 02 May 2011 11:07 by Notahandle.

More
02 May 2011 14:15 #95553 by SuperflyPete
I kind of like the new right way. The "bitchfest" should be buried at the bottom of the pile because it generally is off-topic bullshit, same as how you have to go to the Index at BGG to get to the RSP stuff.

I appreciate the concept of following ongoing catfights for entertainment value, but I think that having it up front and center is not a good thing. Every time a pissing contest goes on, the Bitchfest used to be on the front page with "recent trash talk" and new members (like 0-10 posts) could be turned off by it. Let them ease into the vitriol a while, y'know?

I've had no problems so far with it. I go to the Trash Talk tab, then Index, then Bitchfest and it's all right there.

I can't see Shellie making it any easier while retaining the concept of hiding our dirty laundry a bit. It seems to me like a good balance.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds