October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games- Mistfall and Undercity in Review, Ingenious H2H, Halloween Games, SCAM, Champions of Midgard

More
More
22 Oct 2015 16:44 - 22 Oct 2015 16:44 #213102 by SuperflyPete
I uploaded a Space Cadets: Away Missions review here last week and told Shellie about it when I was visiting, so it should be up soon. TL;DR: Fucking awesome.

Also, I think Charlie assigned it to me on MiniMart as well.

My major bitch right now is that Stephen didn't send any emails out to me stating that the pre-painted minis are available for sale.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 16:44 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2015 18:52 #213121 by san il defanso
Correction: I pitched in to the Halloween deal and my contribution was cut.

Not that I'm salty or anything...

More
22 Oct 2015 19:06 #213125 by Michael Barnes
Oh shoot, Nate did get cut. Mainly because he picked Shadows of Malice and we were out of space on it...and it was the least Halloween-ish of the titles.

More
22 Oct 2015 19:46 #213128 by moofrank
We completed the Undercity campaign. The game is mechanically REALLY good, but just a touch dry (Kingdom Death has ruined me.)

It reminds me a bit of the excellent Arcadia Quest with full coop, more questing, and an even better campaign mode that strongly emphasis character development. I think it may have some things on Descent as well.

The BIG downside. 7 missions, and....PP has said NOTHING about what else they are doing with it. They did one extra mission based on the figures in the IK Unleashed boxed set. If they blew that out to a PDF campaign, it would get a full reccommend.

More
22 Oct 2015 19:53 - 22 Oct 2015 19:54 #213129 by MacDirk Diggler
Raise your hand if you read the ingenious review and knew what the acronym gipf referred to. I am a moron so I had to look it up. Ya, people throw acronyms around in here a lot. I guess I know about half the time what they mean. Pete, what is tl:dr?
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 19:54 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
22 Oct 2015 20:23 - 22 Oct 2015 20:24 #213133 by hotseatgames
Too Long; Didn't Read

You can also use pwidr

Pete Wrote It; Didn't Read
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 20:24 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Oct 2015 20:39 - 22 Oct 2015 20:39 #213135 by OldHippy

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Raise your hand if you read the ingenious review and knew what the acronym gipf referred to. I am a moron so I had to look it up. Ya, people throw acronyms around in here a lot. I guess I know about half the time what they mean. Pete, what is tl:dr?

I didn't think it stood for anything. I am under the impression it's just the project name for Kris Burn's abstract series of games. GIPF, YINSH, ZERTZ etc... I really like some of them.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 20:39 by OldHippy.

More
22 Oct 2015 22:12 #213144 by san il defanso
Yeah I was a little surprised MM classified Shadows of Malice as a horror game. I picked it because it was the one I had played most recently, and that was still left to pick. Otherwise you'd be reading my review of Fury of Dracula, let me tell you.

More
22 Oct 2015 22:16 #213146 by Michael Barnes
I'll put you on the upcoming reprint, then we can read what you have to say about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
23 Oct 2015 00:07 #213154 by san il defanso
I've said this before, but I love those MM Head-to-Head reviews. That's one of the best game criticism things out there I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
23 Oct 2015 08:50 #213170 by charlest
I was a big fan of SC:AM and now have it temporarily put away since my review has gone up. Need to get back to it sometime soon.

As an avid fan of Stone Age, I don't agree with the CoM comparison. The dice aren't used in the same way at all and the drama/payoff isn't parallel in either design.

You acquire resources and block spaces much more like Waterdeep. You have hidden goals/objectives like Waterdeep. It feels much more similar to LoW to me than Stone Age.

Stone Age has its own tempo thing going where you're battling over the love hut area, trying to block out at the boats and time your purchase of huts correctly. In terms of resource collection you're riding out averages and balancing whether to feed your workers or not. Much of the game is long-term planning and building for the future with tools/workers/boats/huts.

LoW and CoM are about edging out other players and getting what you need so that you can have big individual turns all the while keeping your eye on your hidden goals. You also have asymmetrical player powers in each, and the drama is a bit higher with some take that elements (the shame in CoM and the Intrigue in LoW).

Undercity looks cool. I can't get past the perceived work involved with Mistfall to care enough unfortunately.

More
23 Oct 2015 12:35 #213203 by SuperflyPete
Says the guy who made almost the opposite argument when attempting to compare Chaos in the Old World and Cthulhu Wars LOL ;)

I loves me some Stone Age (May My Forever Shelf Remain Always Nut Cuppified). To me, Stone Age is a purely economic-engine building game. Do all kinds of shit but all the while, make sure that you're getting as much grain as you can as fast as you can so that you can get more guys to keep building upon that base. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's kind of how it feels to me. Lords of Waterdeep is much more about sticking it to everyone else as much as possible by blocking their activities while retaining yours. I don't like the open information, and I think that the game would've been DRASTICALLY better, like a 10/10 stars kind of better, had you been able to gain objectives by drawing the top 3 cards in the deck and choose one.

More
23 Oct 2015 12:44 #213206 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: Says the guy who made almost the opposite argument when attempting to compare Chaos in the Old World and Cthulhu Wars LOL ;)

I loves me some Stone Age (May My Forever Shelf Remain Always Nut Cuppified). To me, Stone Age is a purely economic-engine building game. Do all kinds of shit but all the while, make sure that you're getting as much grain as you can as fast as you can so that you can get more guys to keep building upon that base. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's kind of how it feels to me. Lords of Waterdeep is much more about sticking it to everyone else as much as possible by blocking their activities while retaining yours. I don't like the open information, and I think that the game would've been DRASTICALLY better, like a 10/10 stars kind of better, had you been able to gain objectives by drawing the top 3 cards in the deck and choose one.

We are in total agreement concerning Stone Age. Champions of Midgard doesn't feel that way to me.

I know you're joking but here we're discussing whether CoM is MORE similar to Stone Age or Waterdeep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
23 Oct 2015 13:28 #213212 by Egg Shen
Dungeon Crawls are one of my favorite type of games...so it goes without saying that I'm interested in Undercity. However, the main thing holding me back is the complete lack of support for the game at this point. It doesn't need 79 expansions, but just knowing that more content is on the way (more characters, new campaign, more items) would make me much more likely to dive in. I think I can get past the drab ass artwork...but Privateer Press doesn't seem to provide much support for their big box games. Level 7 Omega Protocol has been out for a while and they just started teasing an expansion for it. I'd hate for Undercity to languish that long without any support. But who knows...if CSI or MM has it for cheap on a daily sale my resolve will weaken and I'll end up with a copy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds