October 09, 2023
2634 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2824 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Josh Look's Top 5 Horror Games

More
30 Oct 2020 10:48 #315754 by dysjunct
You've piqued my interest about Sub Terra. Comments on BGG indicate that the tiles are so dark they are hard to parse, and/or need a blacklight, and/or need marking up with a silver ink pen to see properly. Is that your experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2020 11:25 #315758 by southernman
And do the expansions add anything to it, the Collector's edition is reasonably priced here ?
But as I can only get a group of three in current times I suspect it wouldn't get played until sometime well into next year.

More
30 Oct 2020 12:11 - 30 Oct 2020 12:13 #315763 by Josh Look
The game is dark and my eyesight isn't perfect, but we had no trouble seeing the tiles in the collector's edition. Plus they give you a UV light if you want that extra layer of immersion.

Collector's edition is totally worth it. All the expansions are baseline cool, 2 of them are awesome and really offer some options if you want something a little different from the base game. It also comes with a hardcover graphic novel (haven't read yet) and a hardcover designer's diary which despite some heavy ego-stroking is a great read if you're into the design process (which I am). Plus the game plays good with all player counts!

There's a sequel game coming which sheds the horror vibes for Indiana Jones ones. My senses about the availability of the 1st game are tingling. A friendly reminder, I was right about Camp Grizzly.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 12:13 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, dysjunct, themothman421

More
31 Oct 2020 11:05 - 31 Oct 2020 11:07 #315789 by southernman
Recommendation taken, and since I'm baling on an over-priced Kickstarter I feel OK paying half the price for a (recommended) game with three expansions.

And quite interested in checking out Sea Evil but it appears neither it or Cave Evil are available in the UK.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2020 11:07 by southernman.

More
31 Oct 2020 16:41 #315792 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Josh Look's Top 5 Horror Games
Oh!

It was YOU josh. YOU were the little niggling voice in my head that told me that someone I trusted loved the Bloody Inn. I couldn't remember where I'd got that niggling voice from, but now I remember haha.

I do my best with it, but something about this game is like anti-theme to me. The gameplay itself is what seems to just suck it all out. I try to ham it up and be villainous and gruesome but then it's just play red card for +1 modifier play green card for +1 modifier the end.

More
31 Oct 2020 17:04 - 31 Oct 2020 21:10 #315793 by Jackwraith

mc wrote: I do my best with it, but something about this game is like anti-theme to me. The gameplay itself is what seems to just suck it all out. I try to ham it up and be villainous and gruesome but then it's just play red card for +1 modifier play green card for +1 modifier the end.

Yeah. I'm afraid I'm in the same spot with it. I've only played a couple times, but it's extremely mechanical. The old knock that follows Knizia around is that you could paste any theme you wanted on a lot of his designs, but that's less true than you'd think in many cases. For the Bloody Inn... eh. It's really kind of true. If you find a group that's loose enough to play up the weirdly macabre (and true!) story, then I think it would work better. But both times I've played has been with new players and people get marooned on exactly what you're talking about. I know a couple opinions here have said that the expansion adds a bit more chrome to it and can add some of that theme back in, but it's sadly out of print.

I'm willing to try it a couple more times, but I'd have to say it's pretty far down my list at the moment, even for filler games.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2020 21:10 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mc

More
31 Oct 2020 21:39 #315798 by ubarose
I love Bloody Inn. But I think that you need to play it with people who know it well enough to pay attention to what other people are doing to screw them. Like, picking up all the peasants at the right time, or burying a body on someone else’s property, so they are stuck with a dead body, forcing another player to kill police so that the bodies just keep piling up in their yard and they can’t get out from under them. First time players are poor opponents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith

More
01 Nov 2020 05:27 #315807 by mc
Wait a second...
I thought police were only trouble if you have unburied bodies?

More
01 Nov 2020 09:48 #315809 by ubarose

mc wrote: Wait a second...

Yes, and if you can screw someone so that they can’t get a body buried, then they need to deal with the police. One way to deal with them is to kill them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
01 Nov 2020 12:13 #315816 by hotseatgames
Chiming in that I too, love the Bloody Inn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
01 Nov 2020 13:42 #315819 by ChristopherMD
I played The Bloody Inn a few times when it came out and thought it was pretty neat. It falls in that 7 range where I wouldn't turn down a game of it but I wouldn't request one either.

More
01 Nov 2020 13:43 #315820 by mc

ubarose wrote:

mc wrote: Wait a second...

Yes, and if you can screw someone so that they can’t get a body buried, then they need to deal with the police. One way to deal with them is to kill them.

I just can't read haha.

So - bury a body in a spot they were hoping to use for themselves. Gotcha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
01 Nov 2020 13:49 #315821 by Josh Look
I still like Bloody Inn, but it does not belong on the list for the reasons you describe, mc. I wouldn't go as far as to call it "anit-theme," which also is not a problem for me, but I originally included it for it's subject matter and the table talk I personally have experienced playing it. Bit as a game, it does not fit the criteria hence taking it off.

I need to make this a living list. There's just so little that actually fits that I feel it deserves to be recognized when something does. If I'm being completely honest, as much as I love Fury of Dracula, it doesn't belong either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
01 Nov 2020 13:50 - 01 Nov 2020 13:51 #315822 by ChristopherMD

Josh Look wrote: I need to make this a living list.

Or a Top 10.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2020 13:51 by ChristopherMD.

More
01 Nov 2020 13:56 #315823 by Jackwraith

Josh Look wrote: If I'm being completely honest, as much as I love Fury of Dracula, it doesn't belong either.

I have a long-standing thing with Fury. The premise of the game is just wrong. There's really no chase scene in the original novel. Dracula flees back to Transylvania, but they know right where he's going, so there's no deduction aspect to it. The whole thing is kind of a "What if Bram Stoker decided to do THIS..." Which, I mean, is fine, but it's not really Dracula, nor is it emblematic of the themes which the novel and the earlier films portrayed. It's the same hang-up I have with the Jaws game (another deduction game) where representing the personal stories that are the best part of the film can't really come through in a board game, so it's kind of "JAWS" slapped on to a board game for the marketing impact, rather than the story. Fury is the same way. Thematically, Scotland Yard was kind of the best of the original "Find the dude" games, mostly because it was so neutral.

Don't get me wrong: I've enjoyed almost every game of Fury that I've played. I still own it and have no reason to trade it any time soon. But if we're talking about horror games, it does kind of fall short.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds