October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

AT withdrawal

More
23 Jun 2009 02:04 #32746 by Mad Malthus
AT withdrawal was created by Mad Malthus
Played TI3 for 3 of the last 4 weekends. Last weekend played Tribune followed by Tigris & Euphrates. Lord it was like going from free-basing coke to slamming Nyquil. Each worthwhile perhaps in its own way but hardly comparable.

What's a good game to play when you're sick of TI3 but still want basically the same thing, but that isn't Starcraft, A Game of Thrones, or Warrior Knights?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2009 03:00 #32749 by kookoobah
Replied by kookoobah on topic Re:AT withdrawal
Puerto Rico?

More
23 Jun 2009 03:49 #32752 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:AT withdrawal
That's a great question. After playing Ti3 (and you've had a 3 week Ti3 binge) a normal bland Euro will be a shock to your system. Mad you need to ease yourself down. Personally, I'd suggest something fairly engaging but with less people. Something like a card driven war game like Twilight Struggles if you have only 2 players or a lighter Ameritrash like BSG (5 or 6 players) or Talisman (3-4 players).

Personally, I wouldn't suggest Arkham Horror. You can't cure Freebasing Coke by shooting Heroin. You have to ease back into Euros dude. Good Luck Man.

More
23 Jun 2009 04:09 #32753 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:AT withdrawal
THRONEWORLD

also: HERE I STAND

More
23 Jun 2009 08:16 #32760 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:AT withdrawal
Nexus Ops is sort of the same style of game, just extremely streamlined.

More
23 Jun 2009 10:15 #32776 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:AT withdrawal
Honestly, I think I am the only person in the entire universe that likes Tigris & Euphrates (and I rarely win). My friends all hate it.

To the OP, Twilight Struggle is a good suggestion cuz it's so engaging, but here are my suggestions:

When you're sick of TI3rd edition but basically want the same thing, try any of these:

-Through the Ages: Story of Civilization (this captures the Civilization aspect of TI3)
-BSG (this covers the negotation aspect of TI3 or if you liked the variable player powers or voting mechanics)
-Twilight Struggle (this covers the political aspect of TI3)
-Race for the Galaxy (this covers the Sci-Fi aspect of TI3... well so does BSG)
-C&C: Ancients (if you like the wargaming, dice-rolling or modular board aspects of TI3)
-Hammer of the Scots (if you really liked the area-impulse mechanic of TI3)
-Puerto Rico (if you liked the variable phase order mechanic of TI3)

See, it's a hard question to answer because it depends what you like best of TI3 cuz it has so many cool things going for it. I think it's safe to say that BSG or C&C: Ancients will probably most appeal to you.

More
23 Jun 2009 10:29 #32778 by blarknob
Replied by blarknob on topic Re:AT withdrawal
May I ask why no starcraft?

More
23 Jun 2009 10:30 #32779 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:AT withdrawal
Black Barney wrote:

Honestly, I think I am the only person in the entire universe that likes Tigris & Euphrates (and I rarely win). My friends all hate it.

I like T&E.

More
23 Jun 2009 10:46 #32785 by Black Barney
Mad Dog wrote:

Black Barney wrote:

I like T&E.

Cool. That game is a real head-scratcher sometimes.

More
23 Jun 2009 11:14 #32787 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:AT withdrawal
T&E is one of my faves. It's a bit like Go, only not nearly as hardcore (as in spending a lifetime learning strategy), it's got tension, threats, bluffing...You can engage in small skirmishes with the other players the whole game or build up peacefully until you meet up for an explosive clash of civilizations. Even though the theme is fairly abstract, I feel when I win a big conflict that a huge war or political coup just took place.

More
23 Jun 2009 11:35 #32795 by Black Barney
I also think you actually feel the theme a bit too. Like when two players are clashing here and there and a 3rd player is slowly growing his civ in the corner, avoiding conflict but arousing the ire of the other players. Then they built a monument and "Ok, that's it," the other players have had enough and their jealousy gets the best of them.

More
23 Jun 2009 11:40 #32796 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:AT withdrawal
I'm glad you all like T&E, but I thought it was a boring POS. Seriously, I've tried to like it but to me it was another boring Reiner math puzzle with a pasted-on theme.

If your tired of TI3 but you want a space fix, try Merchant of Venus. Exploration, trading, negotiation and profits. What's not to like?

-Will

More
23 Jun 2009 12:38 #32799 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:AT withdrawal
Bulwyf wrote:

I'm glad you all like T&E, but I thought it was a boring POS. Seriously, I've tried to like it but to me it was another boring Reiner math puzzle with a pasted-on theme.

Naw, it isn't a math puzzle if there is no math and the puzzle is changing all the time, creating a whirlwind of opportunities and traps that unsettles the best plans and forces you to adapt. The conflict that drives T&E leaves no territory safe, like a brawl. But unlike a brawl there is a build-up, crescendo and scramble to scavenge the remains. This game offers a mix of bluff, strategy and mischief that defines the essence of 'play'. T&E is TNT, timer and bomb.

More
23 Jun 2009 13:34 #32809 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:AT withdrawal
T&E is one of the greats. It's got conflict, empire building, some randomness (tile draw, which the more hard-core eurogamers actually dislike), and lots of good moves. You can't actually "solve" this game as you could some euros, as there isn't really a perfect move to take every turn.

More
23 Jun 2009 13:52 #32817 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:AT withdrawal
Sounds like "EuroDoam" to me.

Sag.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds