October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

If Speed Racer Flies....

More
29 Apr 2008 15:19 #5516 by mikelawson
....is a live action version of Star Blazers far behind?

Dibs on Gynneth Paltrow as Nova.

--Mike L.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2008 20:19 #5524 by benny lava
That would be sweet.

More
30 Apr 2008 10:52 #5570 by Michael Barnes
I dunno...I see them casting Shia LaBoeuf as Alex Wildstar...and something tells me that the theme of an Japanese Imperial Navy vessel saving the Earth would get muddled up somewhere.

More
30 Apr 2008 11:11 #5573 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:If Speed Racer Flies....
After hearing that the upcoming Voltron movie is being set on EARTH, I've given up hope on future projects turning out well.

If Speed Racer does well it will certainly be due to visual panache more than anything else.

More
30 Apr 2008 11:54 #5579 by benny lava
I would like to see Speed Racer do well, but I'm not very impressed with the trailers/TV spots. Plus, these are the guys who followed up the awesomeness of The Matrix with the awfulness of Reloaded and Revolutions. Here's hoping the old-school Wachowskis show up.

More
30 Apr 2008 12:57 #5582 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:If Speed Racer Flies....
mikelawson wrote:

--Mike L.

Is Star Blazers the one that uses the Yamoto?

More
30 Apr 2008 13:59 #5591 by mikelawson
mikoyan wrote:

mikelawson wrote:

--Mike L.

Is Star Blazers the one that uses the Yamoto?

Yes.

You know, it's the sort of story that a Sci Fi Channel series is made of, but all things being equal, we'd end up with something unsatisfying if people went that route. Unless the people who did Battlestar did Star Blazers.

--Mike L.

More
30 Apr 2008 14:00 #5592 by mikelawson
Ken B. wrote:

After hearing that the upcoming Voltron movie is being set on EARTH, I've given up hope on future projects turning out well.

If Speed Racer does well it will certainly be due to visual panache more than anything else.

There's a Voltron movie coming out? Holy crap.

Which version: lions or the 30 odd spaceships?

--Mike L.

More
30 Apr 2008 14:42 #5593 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:If Speed Racer Flies....
mikelawson wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

There's a Voltron movie coming out? Holy crap.

Which version: lions or the 30 odd spaceships?

--Mike L.

Dude...Vehicle Voltron was just a figment of everyone's imagination.

More
30 Apr 2008 15:04 #5594 by Michael Barnes
NO. I remember seeing at least week of vehicle Voltron episodes and I had the vehicle Voltron toy, which was huge and made of vehicles. I think I still have it in my parents' basement.

The real figment was that mysterious "third" Voltron that seemed like it was made of three lions and had a big lion head on its chest. I might be remembering it wrong, but that's what I remember.

The BSG team doing Star Blazers...good grief, that would be interesting. Hell, just get Edward James Olmos to do Captain Avatar, Jamie Bamber to do Wildstar, and who, Tamoh Peniket to play Sandor? I'd buy Tricia Helfer as Nova. NO WAY- I just thought about this. How about James Callis as Desslock!!!

I absolutely adore the voices on that show though...Avatar croaking "Wildstar...", Sandor's weird mid-Atlantic speech patterns, and of course...Desslock's weirdly effeminate voice...

Oh, and how about those deep space squirting, squishing, and bleeping noises? It's weird, I can hear every sound in that show in my mind...

More
30 Apr 2008 17:46 - 30 Apr 2008 17:47 #5599 by jdezom
Replied by jdezom on topic Re:If Speed Racer Flies....
Michael Barnes wrote:

The real figment was that mysterious "third" Voltron that seemed like it was made of three lions and had a big lion head on its chest. I might be remembering it wrong, but that's what I remember.

Gladiator Voltron (or Voltron 2)! Defender of the middle universe! It was made up of 3 humanoid-like robots. The marketing plan was to have vehicle Voltron (Voltron 1) be defender of the near universe (containing Earth) and lion Voltron (Voltron 3) be defender of the far universe (containing planet Arus). The un-aired series featuring gladiator Voltron was about the middle universe (I guess everything in between the near and far). When popularity slumped, they scraped plans to bring the series to the U.S. Gladiator Voltron was only seen in the U.S. as a picture on the packaging of the Matchbox Voltron and, recently, a cameo in the Devil's Due Voltron comic book series. None of these series were even related in Japan. Voltron 3 was known as Go Lion! something or other, Voltron 1 was Dairugger XV, and Voltron 2 was Albegas. World Entertainment Productions dubbed them in English and linked them together under the Voltron banner. They did commission a TV special from the original producers featuring both Voltron 1 and 3 called Fleet of Doom, but it's the only time they ever appear together.

Go Voltron force!
Last edit: 30 Apr 2008 17:47 by jdezom.

More
30 Apr 2008 18:25 #5601 by Michael Barnes
WELL WELL WELL! Look at the new guy! He's gonna come in here and go all Wikipedia on us over Voltron...well, I'm learned up now, well done sir!

But what are you, some kind of nerd? :-P

More
30 Apr 2008 18:56 #5604 by Mr Skeletor
jdevowe wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Gladiator Voltron (or Voltron 2)! Defender of the middle universe! It was made up of 3 humanoid-like robots. The marketing plan was to have vehicle Voltron (Voltron 1) be defender of the near universe (containing Earth) and lion Voltron (Voltron 3) be defender of the far universe (containing planet Arus). The un-aired series featuring gladiator Voltron was about the middle universe (I guess everything in between the near and far). When popularity slumped, they scraped plans to bring the series to the U.S. Gladiator Voltron was only seen in the U.S. as a picture on the packaging of the Matchbox Voltron and, recently, a cameo in the Devil's Due Voltron comic book series. None of these series were even related in Japan. Voltron 3 was known as Go Lion! something or other, Voltron 1 was Dairugger XV, and Voltron 2 was Albegas. World Entertainment Productions dubbed them in English and linked them together under the Voltron banner. They did commission a TV special from the original producers featuring both Voltron 1 and 3 called Fleet of Doom, but it's the only time they ever appear together.

Go Voltron force!

Wow.
You are actually the first user here that I like. And that includes the other FAT writers.

More
30 Apr 2008 19:03 #5605 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:If Speed Racer Flies....
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CHIMCHIM?

More
30 Apr 2008 20:14 #5606 by mikelawson
Michael Barnes wrote:

NO. I remember seeing at least week of vehicle Voltron episodes and I had the vehicle Voltron toy, which was huge and made of vehicles. I think I still have it in my parents' basement.

The BSG team doing Star Blazers...good grief, that would be interesting. Hell, just get Edward James Olmos to do Captain Avatar, Jamie Bamber to do Wildstar, and who, Tamoh Peniket to play Sandor? I'd buy Tricia Helfer as Nova. NO WAY- I just thought about this. How about James Callis as Desslock!!!

I absolutely adore the voices on that show though...Avatar croaking "Wildstar...", Sandor's weird mid-Atlantic speech patterns, and of course...Desslock's weirdly effeminate voice...

Oh, and how about those deep space squirting, squishing, and bleeping noises? It's weird, I can hear every sound in that show in my mind...

Mike, you know that Star Blazers continued the Star Trek directive of having the engineer be a Scotsman.

I was thinking that the sort of guy who could have been Avatar was Denver Pyle without the fake southern drawl. Somebody with a grizzled sea captain sort of look.

Who to get for Lysis?

I think the best part of the show was that it was one of the first cartoons that I was introduced to that had a serial format. Sure, there were serial cartoons before it (Speed Racer, for instance) but a 26 episode format?

--Mike L.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds