October 09, 2023
2653 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2837 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Rocky Racoon, get out of my room....

More
14 Sep 2011 08:51 #103335 by daveroswell
Holy Shit I have an infestation. My wife insists on feeding cats outside, and now we have a raccoon neighborhood. I saw about 9 of them last night. My wife's Dr. Doolitle attitude is going to bite us in the ass.

Does anyone know the best way to shoo them off that doesn't involve gun blasts and Long Island cops coming to my doorstep?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2011 11:04 #103338 by Matt Thrower
You're a lucky man. We saw some Raccoons in a wildlife park recently, and thought they were the most adorable things ever. I'd love to see some of those in my garden at night.

But if you're really set on getting rid of them, how about biological control? Leave out enough food and/or rubbish to attract some bears to your house, and I'm sure the Raccoons will go packing pretty smart.

More
14 Sep 2011 11:50 #103340 by SuperflyPete
Once they're there, they're not going anywhere on their own, Dave. They are territorial and once they've settled in, that's that. Nomadic they are not.

Raccoons, for as "cute and adorable" as they are, they're potentially dangerous to your property. In the winter they'll eat your shingles to get to the warm roof for a little den. They'll bugger up your siding if they think they can get into your house that way. Not to mention they'll have you pissed when the food gets cut off...they'll absolutely make a mess of your trash can. They're not good animals to have around. Did I mention they're susceptible to rabies? I had a buddy kill one because it was on his lawn hissing at his kid. Scary shit.

I'd suggest snaring them. Snares aren't hard to make...just make a hangman's noose out of some safety wire (the kind you hang heavy pictures with...the steel stuff) and put a barb on it so that once it closes a bit, the wire can't easily back off from the barb (more like a 90 degree kink). Put 3-4 of them around the food dish, and the wee beasts will get their heads or feet caught. They'll start hissing, so they're like your own little alarm. Just remember to tie the OTHER end of the wire to something heavy or something that will not give, like a pole. Call animal control to pick them up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
14 Sep 2011 12:29 #103341 by stormseeker75
Davey Crocket may be right. There's also the Have-a-heart live traps, but those buggers are expensive.

More
14 Sep 2011 12:51 - 14 Sep 2011 12:52 #103344 by Sagrilarus
Step 1 -- no more food. Seal your trash cans and do a good job of it. If you have room in your freezer keep the organic stuff inside until trash day.

Animal control will probably bring live traps out to you if you call them. That's done here all the time.

We had a raccoon problem off and on until the eagle showed up. Now they stay in the woods. Maybe you could rent one.

S.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2011 12:52 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveroswell

More
14 Sep 2011 13:05 #103345 by ubarose
Stop feeding them. That includes not only no pet food outside but also securing your trash cans with animal locks so they can't get a meal out of those. Also no water out there either. It will take a awhile but eventually they will move on to someplace else where they can get food (like your neighbor's garbage). They will probably still continue to cruise by your place, so you have to be diligent about keeping your trash locked and no food or water outside pretty much for as long as as live there.

More
14 Sep 2011 13:59 - 14 Sep 2011 14:00 #103352 by Gary Sax
You can see if animal control has live traps available. We've been getting tons of use out of those because Lubbock is *crawling* with awful, starving feral cats. Not sure if they have raccoon traps as well.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2011 14:00 by Gary Sax.

More
14 Sep 2011 14:08 #103354 by ubarose
You guys have sweet animal control. Ours won't do anything about raccoons. They tell you to call a private pest control business.

More
14 Sep 2011 14:22 #103356 by skrebs
We had a couple of raccoons because we did exactly the same thing. They were adorable and our daughters loved watching them through the slider, but I didn't want massive vet bills when they eventually got territorial with our cats. We stopped feeding outside and they were gone within a week.

More
14 Sep 2011 15:50 #103369 by Gary Sax
They may not do anything about raccoons, I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing they would.

This cat thing has been one of the worse things about Lubbock (and there are many terrible things about Lubbock). I've trapped 5 thus far, and those are only the ones living basically in and around the house I'm living in---saying nothing about the alley and our neighborhood which is crawling with cats.

It's appalling. I've never seen anything like it.

More
14 Sep 2011 16:50 #103381 by Space Ghost
Gary -- that is saying a lot when compared to the Hippieville that is Urbana.

As for raccoons, we had a pet raccoon growing up. They can be sweet for a bit, but they get older and want to mate. As Pete says, they become absurdedly territorial. And, they are ridiculously smart. You can purchase live traps at a sportsman store (Bass Pro or some such) and then, animal control will definitely come out to get them.

Otherwise, just lock up your food while simultaneously planting food on your neighbors property :)

More
14 Sep 2011 17:42 #103386 by ubarose

Space Ghost wrote: And, they are ridiculously smart.

They are. When we lived in the Boston area, we came home one night to find the apartment completely trashed. We discovered a small raccoon handing items out a partially opened window to two large raccoons on the fire escape. When they saw us, the two big raccoons reached inside and squeezed the little guy out. After that those raccoons came around for a while. Those two big raccoons would pick up the little one, and hold him up to that window and try to push him against it to see if they could squeeze him through again.

More
14 Sep 2011 18:23 #103389 by OldHippy
Smart, dangerous and very irritating. I don't know how Matt has this weird idea that they're cute and fun to have around. They will kill cats and can attack children, or anyone dumb enough to go up to them thinking they're cuddly. Wild animals need to be respected. Even domesticated ones should be respected but wild can be dangerous.

We have them all over Vancouver and in Toronto the problem is worse.

They have very skilled hands and can open doors and what you think are secure garbage lids. It's very impressive. Leave nothing for them and lock everything up. People have given good advice here for the most part. Personally I have no qualms with shooting them but in a city that's just not an option so you have to use other methods. Traps and re-location are the way to go.. but even that can be a little sad if your an animal lover because you could be breaking up a family.

All that aside I have great respect for animals that can still find a way to live in our man made environments. Suirrels, rats, several birds, mice, coyotes, foxes. I'm always impressed when an animal can adapt that well.

More
14 Sep 2011 19:15 #103394 by Gary Sax

Space Ghost wrote: Gary -- that is saying a lot when compared to the Hippieville that is Urbana.

Fuck, I know, right? It's not like I was coming from the most urbane city in the world or anything. It just turns out I ended up in probably the most redneck and ignorant largish city in the entire country.

For example, our health department just shut down. The whole thing. We're the biggest city in the US without a health department.

More
14 Sep 2011 19:30 #103396 by Hatchling
We are completely overrun with Racoons in Toronto. I've seen big fat ones squeeze themselves through very small openings in the seams of roofs. I've also watched in horror as two of them in the early morning ripped a third apart in the middle of the street, pausing only briefly to lazily get out of the way when a car wanted to pass. When I checked the scene out after sunrise there was fur everywhere and a bit of blood on the road. Nasty, disgusting, prolific creatures.

Defintely don't leave food out ever. If you don't attract racoons, you'll get rats or something.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds