October 09, 2023
2725 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2887 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What THREADS have you been LOCKING?

More
25 Apr 2011 16:41 #95010 by dave
Seriously, no talk about the forum rearrangement (not to mention interface change)?

Was there discussion about removing the "What NOUNS have you been VERBING" threads? This does make forums more browseable, but it will either cause a flood of new threads (making reading this info more burdensome) or cut down on the chat altogether. Is that what folks wanted?

Not saying this to be antagonistic; just wanting to understand the motivation if you care to share.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2011 16:44 #95012 by lj1983
not sure about the overall decision, but I really like it. I'd rather have a separate thread on different games coming out. so, Earth Reborn comes out, some people hype it up, others play it and like/don't like it. rather than being spread over 2 or 3 months in one ginormous general thread, you have an Earth Reborn played-thread that has alot of different comments about the game.

there's alot of good info in those general threads about games/strategies/variants that will rarely see the light of day.

More
25 Apr 2011 16:46 #95013 by Dair
I tend to agree that it will cut down on discussion. I liked those threads, but I am on here to banter with folks and see what people are digging currently. I rarely search for info in the forums, so I had no problem with large, unwieldy threads that were largely discussion that flowed along.

My final verdict is that I am sad to see them go, but I am willing to give a more organized approach a chance. If it just doesn't work, I would be open to seeing a similar thread allowed.

More
25 Apr 2011 16:51 #95014 by san il defanso
I think that it'll work great as long as we don't double-up on any forums. No sense in having three Arkham Horror threads running at once.

More
25 Apr 2011 17:12 - 25 Apr 2011 17:12 #95016 by Bullwinkle

dave wrote: Seriously, no talk about the forum rearrangement (not to mention interface change)?

Regarding the interface, I'd planned on waiting a few days to see what shakes out. Usually these things come out without all the changes and the mods need time to make those final adjustments. I'm assuming the multiple-page threads will switch the page numbers from vertical back to horizontal, for example, and that we'll get previewing of postings back, too.

As far as the locking of threads goes, I don't understand if we're expected to use multiple threads or massive threads. I can see the value of individual threads for certain things such as boardgames(although I agree that some discussion will be lost), but we certainly don't need individual threads for things like iOS games.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 17:12 by Bullwinkle.

More
25 Apr 2011 17:13 #95017 by ubarose
Try bookmarking What Board Games have you been playing? .

Right now I can see there that Washington's War, Yomi, Survive, Resistance and TI3 were played over the weekend.

More
25 Apr 2011 17:25 #95020 by Josh Look
I've told quite a few people about F:AT and they were turned off by how difficult it was to find information on it.

I for one welcome our welcome our new thread-locking overlords.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Apr 2011 17:29 #95022 by ubarose

Bullwinkle wrote:

dave wrote: Seriously, no talk about the forum rearrangement (not to mention interface change)?

Regarding the interface, I'd planned on waiting a few days to see what shakes out. Usually these things come out without all the changes and the mods need time to make those final adjustments. I'm assuming the multiple-page threads will switch the page numbers from vertical back to horizontal, for example, and that we'll get previewing of postings back, too.

What browser and OS are you using. The post preview is on, and the page numbers are horizontal. Anyone else getting vertical page numbers

As far as the locking of threads goes, I don't understand if we're expected to use multiple threads or massive threads. I can see the value of individual threads for certain things such as boardgames(although I agree that some discussion will be lost), but we certainly don't need individual threads for things like iOS games.

Well some discussion may be lost, but some will be gained. Some people that felt comfortable with replying to the thread with one or two sentence, might feel less comfortable starting a new thread with one sentence, at least until they see that other people have done the same. People that might not bother to open "The What Have You Been Playing" thread, may very well open a thread with a game title in it and join the conversation.

We'll see what happens with iOS. The forums evolve kind of organtically. We split, merge, expand and contract. When we first started, there were two forms for AT games (contemporary and classic) and no place to disscuss anything other than board games (like movies, beer, video games). iOS games weren't even blip on the radar yet.

More
25 Apr 2011 17:35 #95024 by Black Barney
I think it will KILL general discussion which is too bad. Those threads were perfect for casual conversation about what people were playing or were interested in. Now, people have to start specific threads which MOST won't do.

I know there were people (*cough*Southerman*cough*) that thought the site was too chit-chatty so this is a big win for them. Now if someone wants to start a thread on Portal 2, there will be a deeper discussion but gone are the days where people will openly talk about anything on their mind. If this is what we wanted to avoid, then mission accomplished, but I'll miss it.

The thing that is so stupid is that those that complained that things were hard to find in those threads were too lazy to start a thread of their own asking about a certain game. That was the solution that needed to be adopted by those people. But now instead, the people that actually like to talk about games have to start individual threads. i think the onus (sp?) should have been on the detractors rather than the contributors.

The worst part is that they were the MOST popular threads! And those are the ones that get axed? Anyway, I'm don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer so maybe Uba is right and this new system will be better. But I will bet $$ that we will say far less posts per day/week with this format.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor, scissors

More
25 Apr 2011 17:35 #95025 by dave

ubarose wrote: Try bookmarking What Board Games have you been playing? .

Right now I can see there that Washington's War, Yomi, Survive, Resistance and TI3 were played over the weekend.

Fair enough. My established F:AT usage is a bookmark to Recent Topics, then open threads that interest me. If the discussion is contained to board games (as it is of this AM), then having separate threads makes it easier to open what I'm interested on reading. As Bullwinkle says, if there are separate threads for movies and comic books, that would suck, unless there were a Recent Threads filter (similar to BGG's). I'm hoping the one-stop-shop bookmark will continue to be useful.

As for being able to view game titles, folks on the old thread used to report by session; I guess they can put the game titles in the thread title (think Greg S on Spielfrieks), otherwise I still have to open the threads to see the details. Guess we'll see, right? I s'pose I'm less concerned about my ability to browse what's posted, then having the old chat killed (and I wasn't a bit participant on those except the music thread, so I'm largely a disinterested third party here).

"No sense in having three Arkham Horror threads running at once."

I doubt we'll be expected to dig up and resurrect old AH threads. On other forums, the preferred etiquette is to start a new thread instead of necromancing a dormant one.

Mike's right about the light grey on the forums, especially since most of my F:AT usage is at work and I dim the screen.

More
25 Apr 2011 17:49 #95028 by mads b.
I'm with Barney. I think the what Board games have you been playing thread was one of the most valuable threads in the entire forum. It generated game discussion, it served as an inspiration, and it was a great place to find short session reports and talk about them. And the best part about it was that I only had to go to one thread to find interesting things to read. Except for the times when a discussion in said thread spawned a new one of course (like the parenting and gaming one for instance).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Apr 2011 20:12 #95037 by ubarose
Well there's costs and promises to everything. I really value the community that the Fort has created. From what I am hearing, so do you all.

However, we are kind of up against the wall right now to either grow or die. And by grow, I mean simply keep pace with attrition. While those threads may have fostered a sense of community and been a comfortable place for regulars to chit chat, it also gave the impression that the site was a tight clique of about a dozen people chatting in 5 threads. That is both off-putting and intimidating to new members. On the rare occasion that a new person took the plunge into one of those threads, they were mostly ignored, or run over in some ongoing discussion, or the incomprehensible (to an outsider) exchange between long time members.

Furthermore, it gave the exact same impression to advertisers and publishers - 12 dudes on a dead site.

So the bottom line is really the bottom line. This site hasn't broken even since it started. It's been running on member donations and my allowance money for three years, and I'm getting to the point where I really need new shoes. I also refuse to keep going back to the donation well. So - GROW OR DIE.

The promise of this change is that since this is a boardgame site, boardgamers will find it. And when they do, if they see a thread entitled say, YOMI, or SURVIVE, or even HBO GAME OF THRONES, they might open it. Since it's a thread with people talking about something they are interested in and know about, it would be pretty easy for them to jump in and join the conversation, without feeling like they have to break into a group of close knit friends who have had an ongoing 500 page conversation for the past year and a half. The site will grow.

The cost is that the new, individual threads may be a little less warm and a little less chit-chatty. We do want to keep that community aspect of the Fort, but maybe we can find another way, and another place for that to happen. I hope we can. You're smart guys. Check out the forum index, think about it. Maybe carve out a place in the LOUNGE section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, san il defanso

More
25 Apr 2011 20:30 #95039 by mads b.
That is sound and solid arguments right there. Thanks for elaborating and let's hope it'll help to draw more people in. This really is a great site and definitely not just because of that one thread.

More
25 Apr 2011 21:09 - 25 Apr 2011 21:33 #95040 by Merkles
Arghhh. I TOTALLY understand Barney's points but think Uba might be correct. Aiiiiii!

Problem is I still don't have my mind wrapped around this system yet--so I have nowhere to go...(yeah, I have a graduate degree so my common sense quotient keeps going down). I think I had gotten used to the old system so this new one seems less inviting---but I can change. I mean, hell, my dad was born 10 years after the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk...he learned, so can I.

Questions/comments:

1) I take it if I subscribed via Google reader I'll have to redo that--b/c nothing has shown up today in my reader).

2) Does the "regulars" link scare people away b/c it only has a few people on it?
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 21:33 by Merkles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Apr 2011 21:19 #95041 by dave

mads b. wrote: That is sound and solid arguments right there. Thanks for elaborating...

Ditto. That's pretty much what I assumed, and perhaps it was obvious to everyone, but I thought it was worth having a site admin state it explicitly. Onward!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds