October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
10 Apr 2017 17:05 #246295 by Michael Barnes
I went to my FLGS (not GW) to pick up a pot of Retributor Armor since mine mysteriously turned funny and they had a copy of SW:A. I bought it. Before I got home, I sold everything but the terrain kits for $110 on EBay. I have no shame. But I will now have two sets of the buildings.

They are awesome. It's really neat that you don't have to glue them together, just the big stuff. But the walkways and stuff have this peg and hole system to hold them together. Stick a glue dot under there and it'll hold until you want to change it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2017 19:59 #246300 by Michael Barnes
If someone wants to get in on the Promethium Forge Kickstarter (which closed) I am going to cancel my pledge. After messing with the GW terrain, I decided to just use some of the $300 I made off my Massive Darkness pledge (BOOM) to get those 40k munitions containers/scatter terrain and a play mat instead. With two sets of that stuff and the containers I think I'll be good and I'd rather have the Cadillac terrain rather than the Toyota Camry terrain. I was already stressed out about the MDF anyway!

Let me know and I will coordinate with you so you can jump in as I jump out.

More
10 Apr 2017 21:52 #246309 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
How did you sell a Massive Darkness pledge before it delivered? And for $300? I'd probably let mine go for that. Actually I know I would. I think the Promethium Forge terrain looks great and will be well worth it.

Got my Skitarii rangers primed tonight.

More
10 Apr 2017 22:06 #246312 by Michael Barnes
EBay. Email CMON and ask them to unlock the pledge. Change address to buyer's address. $300. When I saw what they were going for, it was a no-brainer.

I've got 5 Skitarii all the way to the red using Duncan's tutorial. So far so good!

More
11 Apr 2017 14:26 #246353 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I hate myself. I am still not done with the imperial guard squad (which will probably be my best paint job up to date, faces and all), and I am already eyeing militarum tempestus, what with their sexy berets and carapace armor.
The rationale is, of course, maybe I could use a couple of guys with carapace armor and hotshot lasguns... and then I see an offer on Docs site for a scions starter, an armored vehicle included, for 66$. Do I need 10 Scions? With a vehicle? Not for Shadow Wars, no. Am I getting them? Very likely...

More
11 Apr 2017 14:34 #246354 by Michael Barnes
Well, if you have 8th edition in mind...that is exactly what I did with the Optimized Tau Pathfinder Squad...it was only like $10 more to get a Devilfish.

Started painting some of the terrain. Super easy. It actually looked decent sprayed black and just drybrushed with Leadbelcher. But I am then washing with Agrax and then drybrushing Thunderhawk Blue on the floor tiles and Averland Sunset on the machinery. Edge drybrush of Screaming Skull on both colors and then picking out some metal details with a S drybrush. The color scheme looks sort of close to the classic Necromunda colors.

More
11 Apr 2017 14:49 #246355 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Vehicles would double as scenery pretty well. I picked up a half-finished Rhino on ebay for just this purpose.

More
11 Apr 2017 14:59 #246356 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Ok guys. I'm glad to see 40k be made into what it basically was originally. It's all very Rogue Trader "Battle at the Farm" kind of good. If you actually get that reference then you are truly old skool.

But this missed opportunity by GW to really promote the fuck out of their models by making rules for as many models as possible is really frustrating me.

Eldar are frankly dumb. Guardians are new recruits but they turn into dire avengers? Ugh. Same for Tau. I want to run around in in stealth suits or maybe even just an all drone force lead by a stealth operative. The same complaints run the gamut throughout all the lists, in my eyes.

The whole thing needs a ton of work. I wanna play Iyanden. Maybe even throw in a Harley if the scenario merits one.

The set up they have right now is just too damn restrictive. It just gives us enough to taste the potential, but falls short. Just like Gorechosen's missed opportunity to make it into a seriously good warhammer arena pit fighting game using models other than khorneflakes.

I have no problem at all making semi reasonable ad hoc rules for stuff on the fly, but it would be really nice to have a battle bible with semi balanced choices available so that this can be a great (not just good) skirmish game. I guess it's time to hit up some game design forums and some 40k vets from 2nd ed and get some balls rollin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax

More
11 Apr 2017 15:00 #246357 by Michael Barnes
You can use them as an objective too.

More
11 Apr 2017 15:20 #246358 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Barnes, I'd love to see some pics of the terrain when you are done with it to see how it looks in the real world (non-GW studio).

More
11 Apr 2017 15:51 #246361 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Thank you, guys, you're great enablers :)

More
11 Apr 2017 16:04 #246362 by stormseeker75
So where's a good place to buy this Shadow War Armageddon stuff if I was interested?

More
11 Apr 2017 16:21 #246363 by hotseatgames
The boxed game is pretty much sold out everywhere, but you might get lucky and see one in a FLGS, like Barnes did. Otherwise, wait for the release of the separate rule book. You can start working on a kill team now though, since the rules for various teams are available on GW's site.

More
11 Apr 2017 16:26 #246364 by stormseeker75
How do I know what models I can use? I'm really new to this whole GW thing outside of my copy of Space Hulk.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I'm positive I can't be asked to deal with which figure has which weapon and all that. Thanks for trying to help, but I think it makes sense for me to skip on this one. I'd be better of playing Blood Bowl. :)

For some reason, Barnes fires me up to want to buy things.

More
11 Apr 2017 17:04 #246367 by hotseatgames
I get you. It can definitely be confusing, and I think GW deliberately tries to get you to buy more than you need. Maybe just keep an eye out for the boxed game, and then pass a GW Save.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds