October 09, 2023
2528 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What is the worst game in your collection?

More
06 Mar 2018 17:11 #264725 by Colorcrayons
Monsters Menace America, at least, if you go by ToS ratings. I think its fucking fun as hell though. I really wish I could get a few people to play it every once in awhile. It would go a long ways to motivating me to tweak some things so that I can use King of Tokyo to resolve the end game rather than the unsatisfying end game it already has. The best way I can describe it is like having some really fun sex, then your room mate breaks in mid coitus and dumps water on you.

From my own opinion though, I'd say its Dungeon Saga. It should be an awesome Heroquest analogue, buuuut nah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2018 17:13 #264726 by Da Bid Dabid

Michael Barnes wrote: Wait, who is saying San Juan is "bad"? That's crazy talk, San Juan is a GREAT game. Man, I haven't played it in a long time...but it really does all of the same stuff that RFTG and Glory to Rome do but in a much more streamlined, compact way.

Every time I've played whoever got that one building first has won. "Library" or something like that? Anyway, I love Puerto Rico so I don't need to play Puerto Rico light in a card game version. So its the worst because I have something that will always be chosen over it.

More
06 Mar 2018 17:16 #264728 by Shellhead

Colorcrayons wrote: Monsters Menace America, at least, if you go by ToS ratings. I think its fucking fun as hell though. I really wish I could get a few people to play it every once in awhile. It would go a long ways to motivating me to tweak some things so that I can use King of Tokyo to resolve the end game rather than the unsatisfying end game it already has. The best way I can describe it is like having some really fun sex, then your room mate breaks in mid coitus and dumps water on you.

As soon as I saw the name Monsters Menace America in this thread, I flashed back to my single play, which did indeed end in an unsatisfying end game.

More
06 Mar 2018 17:24 #264731 by ubarose
Hedgehog's Revenge from Hell. The game that wouldn't die. MooFrank sent it to me for our first ever Secret Satan. The silver lining to our house burning up is that the Hedgehog game burnt up with it. Then about a month after the fire I receive a package in the mail from England. Inside is some cool looking Ameristrash game. I open the box, and inside that box is the Hedgehog Game from Hell.
I keep it because I treasure the memory of opening that box and laughing so hard at one of the hardest times of my life, and knowing that somewhere out there in the world is someone who sent me that laugh when I needed it.

More
06 Mar 2018 17:29 #264732 by RobertB
Colorcrayons wrote:

Monsters Menace America, at least, if you go by ToS ratings. I think its fucking fun as hell though. I really wish I could get a few people to play it every once in awhile. It would go a long ways to motivating me to tweak some things so that I can use King of Tokyo to resolve the end game rather than the unsatisfying end game it already has. The best way I can describe it is like having some really fun sex, then your room mate breaks in mid coitus and dumps water on you.

If I owned it, it would be a contender. Like you said, it's really good right up to the end, where it turns to shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
06 Mar 2018 17:42 - 06 Mar 2018 17:43 #264733 by Erik Twice
I think the worst games in my collection are:

Condottiere: I got Scarab Lords in a give-away at a con. Tried it solo and realized there wasn't that much there, so when I saw someone asking for it, I traded for Condottiere. I'm not very fond of it, though some people here love it. It's small and inexpensive so I haven't gotten rid of it.
Pokémon TCG: Have this since I was a kid. It's not very interesting, mechanically speaking, and is broken if you do play it seriously (They reprinted Ancestral Recall and Wheel of Fortune and you could have four copies of each!) but I don't hate it, it's just a children's game. Not sure what to do with it.
Bang!: I keep this around because if I ever get a big group it might be fun and I see little value to selling it. Like the other games, it's small and inexpensive so there's no reason to get rid of it and, hey, it might prove useful one day.

To be honset, I've never owned a true stinker. The worst serious game I've owned was Arkham Horror. And that was a gift, the next worst game I've bought was probably Warhammer 40.000 or Car Wars. So yeah, can't complain at all.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 17:43 by Erik Twice.

More
06 Mar 2018 18:00 - 06 Mar 2018 18:01 #264737 by repoman
The worst game in my collection is Advanced Squad Leader. It is also the best game in my collection.

I love it.

I hate it.

"The more you suffer. The more it shows you really care. Right?! Yeahhhhhhh"
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 18:01 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, dysjunct, DukeofChutney

More
06 Mar 2018 18:07 #264738 by wkover

hotseatgames wrote: Attack on Titan the deck-building game. I got it for the kids. As best I can tell, it is impossible to win. If the designers told me they had ever won, I wouldn't believe them.

Oh man. I like this game, and have won multiple times. But I wouldn't call it a game for kids. It's really long and it ain't easy.

A big thing is that you can't purchase cards randomly. You need to set up 1-2 players as titan killers. If the good cards are spread out evenly, I imagine that AoT is mathematically unwinnable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
06 Mar 2018 18:19 #264744 by Not Sure
According to the BGG rating system, the worst game I own is Zimby Mojo.

From this I conclude: "fuck the BGG rating system".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, Frohike, Colorcrayons, DukeofChutney, xthexlo

More
06 Mar 2018 18:24 #264745 by Black Barney
You’re not kidding, BGG says my second worst game is Catan. What??

It is correct about my worst game though. It’s Fruit Basket. A memory-like game for kids. My daughter beats me on a very regular basis and I’m honestly trying as hard as I can.

“Is it...this one???”
“No daddy!! That’s an Apple! Silly daddy”

The game has no strategic depth whatsoever. It’s ridiculous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis, birdman37

More
06 Mar 2018 18:49 #264753 by drewcula

Colorcrayons wrote: Monsters Menace America, at least, if you go by ToS ratings. I think its fucking fun as hell though. I really wish I could get a few people to play it every once in awhile. It would go a long ways to motivating me to tweak some things so that I can use King of Tokyo to resolve the end game rather than the unsatisfying end game it already has. The best way I can describe it is like having some really fun sex, then your room mate breaks in mid coitus and dumps water on you.

From my own opinion though, I'd say its Dungeon Saga. It should be an awesome Heroquest analogue, buuuut nah.

I literally laughed out loud. Thank you.

And sadly, I too am understanding that Dungeon Saga ain't no Heroquest. Sculpts look pretty, and some of the combat is interesting. But there ain't no charm. And I won't cite my other criticisms.

I'd say my worst is Star Wars TCG. I have a starter box in my studio from the 90s. I bought it at a thrift store with the intention of cutting it up (artsy shit).

More
06 Mar 2018 19:08 #264759 by san il defanso
I keep very few games that I don't like, but I do have a couple mediocrities that have persisted because someone likes them. Two I would have otherwise traded ages ago were it not for my wife liking them:

Pack and Stack - This is a game with exactly one split-second choice to make, and then a very simple spacial element. My wife likes it, and it's alright because it plays six people without breaking a sweat. But it's not very good.

Shear Panic - This game looks really cute, but it's a headachey abstract. We never play it, and I'm not sure why we still have it.

The lowest ranked game I own and have played, according to BGG, is Merchants of Muziris, a little Clowdus game that is actually really good. I assume its ranking is low because of lack of exposure.

More
06 Mar 2018 19:09 #264760 by hotseatgames

wkover wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Attack on Titan the deck-building game. I got it for the kids. As best I can tell, it is impossible to win. If the designers told me they had ever won, I wouldn't believe them.

Oh man. I like this game, and have won multiple times. But I wouldn't call it a game for kids. It's really long and it ain't easy.

A big thing is that you can't purchase cards randomly. You need to set up 1-2 players as titan killers. If the good cards are spread out evenly, I imagine that AoT is mathematically unwinnable.

Thanks for the tips, but I am confident that this game will never see the table again. We also have the Attack on Titan dice game where heroes climb the titan. That is WAY better. Like actually enjoyable to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
06 Mar 2018 19:45 #264765 by SuperflyPete

Mad Dog wrote: Per this website its fucking Reef Encounter.

Per this website, Stone Age
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
06 Mar 2018 20:16 - 06 Mar 2018 20:18 #264768 by Frohike
Per my opinion, Smash Up because I actually have to play it once in awhile. It's just not a good game, but the teens enjoy it for some reason.

In theory Nature Fluxx, but it sits on the shelf where I placed it when it was gifted to us by... I dunno... some well-meaning relative.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 20:18 by Frohike.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds