October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Tom Lehmann answers my BGN piece

More
15 Sep 2008 15:51 #11347 by Matt Thrower
Hi,

Tom Lehmann has put together an article on BGN as a counterpoint to my own piece about multi-player conflict games and negotiation. Malloc and I have already joined the party - check it out and see what you think:

www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgam...d_conflict_in_games/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2008 16:50 - 15 Sep 2008 17:18 #11349 by Deleted User 1

As a player who enjoys both conflict and economic games, I find the polarized arguments among some game enthusiasts as to which type of game is “better” dismaying.

HA! I love it! What Tom is really saying is I wish you guys would tone it down because your arguments are just TOO EFFECTIVE!!!

Great job Matt! You haven't seen the end of this!
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 17:18 by Deleted User 1.

More
15 Sep 2008 17:43 #11352 by jeb
MattDP wrote:

Hi,

Tom Lehmann has put together an article on BGN as a counterpoint to my own piece about multi-player conflict games and negotiation. Malloc and I have already joined the party - check it out and see what you think:

STOP SHILLING YOUR OFFSITE TRIPE HERE YOU QUISLING TART.

Note how I broke out the "quisling" there--that's totally British for "Benedict Arnold". And "tart" is "whore" or something.

Yesiree, I'm going to stay right here where everyone agrees with me and no one ever says anything contrary to establish AT tropes and memes. Home sweet home.

More
16 Sep 2008 00:54 #11383 by TheDukester
MattDP wrote:

Hi,

Anything you can do about the mutual masturbation going on here?

www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgam...putman_am_i_a_shill/

Christ, what a farce.

Oh, and Valerie? Yes. Yes, you are. You're a columnist at a site that accepts advertising from a number of different companies. Writing about just one game that you happen to have a huge stake in brings your credibility to levels below zero.

Sorry, I'm going off-topic. I just can't believe that place sometimes.

Ahem. Where were we? Oh, yes, your article. Top shelf!

More
16 Sep 2008 09:15 - 16 Sep 2008 09:16 #11393 by Michael Barnes
Tom Lehmann is full of shit- not because of his opinions which are well-reasoned and sensible given his position, but because at the end he has to throw in his completely unrelated-to-the-topic take on the AT idea- he's "dismayed" about how some people prefer and openly criticize the Eurogame passive/aggressive noninteractive style. Apparently the Right and Proper position is to like all games. Except those that "concern" you of course.

The problem is that he's not able to design a game that can handle players actually playing the game outside of a prescribed system. He's like most other designers working in the Eurogame genre these days- he doesn't trust players to interact or actually _play_ without breaking or disrupting his fine-tuned, mathematically sound system.

Valerie Putnam is a huge shill. I'm sorry, but months and months of GAME Z'ing everybody in every column she has an opportunity to and for a game she has stake in makes her every bit as much a shill as Jeff Widderich. Then her defenders, all of whom she likely knows personally and has played games with extensively, pop up and refer to everyone by their first names simply reinforcing the strength of the clique and their "insider" status. If I did the exact same thing over there there'd be "concern" over my involvement with the game's development and if I was giving an "objective" opinion since that's what those people want to see over actual opinions and positions. If she just came out and said "Look, I love this game and I want to see it succeed and I want people to get excited about it and I'm going to do whatever I can to support it" it'd be one thing...but to suggest that she's not shilling and then have her friends come on to back her up is just typical BGN back-patting bullshit

I'd love to post all this over there, but what's the point? The whole conversation would become about Michael Barnes, and that is a very boring topic.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 09:16 by Michael Barnes.

More
16 Sep 2008 10:47 #11407 by Deleted User 1

I'd love to post all this over there, but what's the point? The whole conversation would become about Michael Barnes, and that is a very boring topic.

I agree. Let's get on with more exciting topics , like this one!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/218567

More
16 Sep 2008 12:31 #11414 by ubarose
I don't like sounding like a dimwit, but I feel like maybe that article was over my head. I just can't figure out what his point was. Is it that players should refrain from negotiating? Is it that people with poor diplomacy skills are at a disadvantage when playing with people who are good negotiators? Is it that people use negotiation to to take advantage of newbies? Is it that meta-gaming is bad in general?

I hate to be dense, but can someone please explain what he was trying to say. Because what I gathered is that he played Carcassonne with a woman who didn't give a shit who won and just wanted the game to be over. To me, this is understandable because Carcassonne is boring, tedious game, and it sounds like she was playing with a couple of asses. For whatever reason, she decided to side with the "second place" player. Maybe he was just less of an ass than Tom.

More
16 Sep 2008 12:45 #11415 by TheDukester
BGN actually makes me a little bit sad. It used to be a must-read for me, but it's really just turned into a mutual-admiration society between six or eight "writers" whose skills are shaky at best. I check once a week now ... if I remember. Sad.

More
16 Sep 2008 14:03 #11419 by Gary Sax
That article is full of shit. Ubarose is totally right. It is a torturous, almost pointless piece of prose. He doesn't seem to believe that negotiation and persuasion skills are a game skill. Great.

And god damn it, now I'm going to shill F:AT. Content on this site is 10x better about all genre of boardgames than a site that's supposed to be about news and intellectual content on games (boardgamenews, also probably BGG). And what's ironic is that it's not just AT games, as one might expect. The euro coverage on this site is far better as well--I was not joking when I was saying that I'd love to see an Agricola week here if we could get enough editor and user articles who have played it--because then, if the content is like it has been in the past here, it would be the *best* Agricola critical commentary on the net. Which is fucking hilarious since this site is supposed to be defined by its immature commentary about games and is supposed to completely hate eurogames. Since popular conception seems to be that all the site is is a place for Barnes to make poop jokes or something.

PS Yes lady, you are a complete and utter fucking shill. And you should be ashamed. And no, you asking about in a cute way does not make you any less of a huge shill.

More
16 Sep 2008 14:18 #11421 by Gary Sax
Couldn't help another post. Talk about different strokes for different folks, from the comments to the OP article:

"To be honest, I like this aspect of “calm” games. This kind of interaction (empathy) can bring you closer to your friends than much louder games."

I think calling euros "calm" games gives a lot of insight into the mentality of the average euro player. I may use that term from now on instead of euro.

More
16 Sep 2008 14:18 - 16 Sep 2008 14:25 #11422 by Michael Barnes
Have I ever made a poop joke? I hope not...I don't usually do toilet humour...

Once again, the BGN denizens really show how what THEY do and what WE do in the hobby are two different things...from actually playing games right on down to shooting the shit about them on the internet. The hobby that they're involved in is _NOT_ the same hobby I'm involved in at all, really. Their version of the hobby is actually a very small corner of the larger board gaming world and it's a remnant of that time when everybody kind of knew each other and there wasn't this globalization and divergence that we've seen happen over the last several years.

This whole circle of people- Valerie Putnam, Schloesser, Larry Levy, Tom Lehmann, all those folks- I think they really think that they're the thought leaders and pacesetters for the entire hobby. It's like they still can't deal with the fact that not everybody wants to get online and cuddle with each other over "delightful" games.

Tom Lehmann's article, I at least gave the benefit of a doubt. I respect his opinions but I think he's totally filtering everything he's saying through his affiliations with that crowd. He used to design fairly interesting and pretty Ameritrashy games. Now he just copies whatever the Europeans are doing, and he's feted for it. He's an old timer, but he's one of those old timers that suddenly turned on older games, calling them "broken" or "flawed" in some way because he played PUERTO RICO and decided it was perfect.

This line really grabs me-

I disagree with Matt’s contention that the diplomacy metagame is just another aspect of conflict games.

I wonder if Mr. Lehmann also disagrees with "opinions" like "Rolling a die generates a random number" or "conflict games are competitive". I think the man literally can't think of games in terms of anything but structure. I feel sorry for him.

The whole thing he wrote just reinforces that Eurogaming is all about THE GAME and not about playing, having fun, or interacting with other people. It's about THE GAME and THE GAME functioning like a greased wheel without any quirks, interference, or surprise. Metagaming is bad an evil. When player personalities and styles of play are allowed to actually interact and engage through a game, it's a terrible disaster. God help us when people are able to talk and negotiate, it could screw up the fucking equations Mr. Lehmann labored over while he was carbon-copying the rules to SAN JUAN.

Whatever. I saw the writing on the wall over at that place during the 3-4 days I was posting and engaging with the people there. I really do like some of Eric Martin's pieces and I think his heart is definitely in the right place...it's just that the site is overrun with EXACTLY the kinds of ideas, thinking, and biases that caused the Great and Glorious Ameritrash War of Rebellion nearly three years ago.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 14:25 by Michael Barnes.

More
16 Sep 2008 14:27 #11423 by TheDukester
Reading feel-good crap like that just makes me want to play a complete go-for-the-throat, up-yours, screw-the-leader, bend-the-rules, stop-your-crying game of Cosmic Encounter or something similar.

Christsakes, do they all bring their crystals and incense to game night, too?

More
16 Sep 2008 14:30 - 16 Sep 2008 14:43 #11424 by jeb
TheDukester wrote:

but it's really just turned into a mutual-admiration society between six or eight "writers" whose skills are shaky at best.

Other than the "shaky" comment, can't that same criticism be lodged at this site? I love the writers here dearly (save perhaps the "quisling tart" noted above*), but it's the same folks largely week after week. I'm not complaining--I'm just noting that any hoby as niched as this one, and then taken another step to a subniche of that THAT is going to have a pretty small pool of folks enthusiastic and tech savvy enough to get their thoughts jotted down online.

*I keed, I keed.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 14:43 by jeb. Reason: I'm yus keeding!

More
16 Sep 2008 14:43 #11425 by TheDukester
I'll let someone else handle that one ...

But I'd like to quickly add that a large part of my criticism revolves around the fact that BGN is allegedly supposed to have something to do with posting news about boardgames. It's right there in the title: Boardgame NEWS. But take a look at a month's worth of posts and all you'll see is the same six people talking about themselves. That's not news.

I'm open to criticism about F:AT (I lodged a complaint just yesterday, in fact), but, to be fair, this site has never advertised itself as having news as its primary function. That, specifically, is where BGN has just become a huge disappointment to me over the past year or 18 months. It's morphed into a club of "discerning gamers" who think others are fascinated by the minutiae of their lives.

More
16 Sep 2008 15:23 #11428 by ubarose
jeb wrote:

TheDukester wrote:

but it's really just turned into a mutual-admiration society between six or eight "writers" whose skills are shaky at best.

Other than the "shaky" comment, can't that same criticism be lodged at this site? I love the writers here dearly (save perhaps the "quisling tart" noted above*), but it's the same folks largely week after week. I'm not complaining--I'm just noting that any hoby as niched as this one, and then taken another step to a subniche of that THAT is going to have a pretty small pool of folks enthusiastic and tech savvy enough to get their thoughts jotted down online.

*I keed, I keed.

Yeah, but we don't pretend that F:AT is anything more than it is. We are more about entertainment and a few laughs, than about news or analysis, although those types of things get slipped in. Hell, we have a section called "Rants & Raves" and a section where you can rate Cheetos. If someone accused F:AT of being mostly B.S. written with tongue firmly in cheek, none of us could honestly deny it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds